Backcourt and the future

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think people are getting way ahead of themselves on this. This is the kind of talk that when the kid doesn't live up to the crazy talk.....he is a disappointment. When actually it was just nonsense to begin with.

"THE LAST THREE GAMES"

That implies past tense, not future projections. Although he does already have a NBA body and athleticism.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Can't tell if you're baiting CFers or serious here. Just too soon to tell until the competition ramps up and of course avoiding injuries/suspensions. Will be interesting at what thoughts will be posted come Jan/Feb. All of us are encouraged by last three games, but to make the tourney, you're talking going at least 9-9 in the big12. Looking at the other 11 teams, that will be pretty challenging for this roster to do. CSP is big12 coach of the year if he gets it done, imo, AND we know they'll be trying their damnest to do it. Lard, Wigginton, Talley, Long, and even Solomon still look like young pups out there sometimes, tho.

Baylor with an 18 point lead on Wisc last night and Texas Tech with a throttling of a rated Northwestern bodes well for Big12 . Not to mention Kansas, West Virginia, TCU, OU, Texas, etc. Man, its going to be super tough every night out in the big12. Any predictions on how many losses the Big12 champ will have this year? KU supposedly getting more studs at semester time so that could help them, too.

Other 11 teams...seriously???
and **** KANSAS!

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Please just remember. Things are never as bad as they seem (see last week) and never as good as they seem (life immediately following the PR tournament championship). Let's try to resist our predilection to bipolarism.

Things aren't as dark as they might have seemed after our losses to Misery and Milwaukee, however let's pump the brakes on talk that this team is going to the dance. They have yet to beat or even play with a Big 12 caliber tournament team. I am hopeful, but let's give them a chance to grow rather than pumping them way up so we can melt down again.
That's an awful lot of syllables in a short span for my little brain to handle.

It's also, maybe, my favorite CF phrase of the year.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Other 11 teams...seriously???
and **** KANSAS!

I referenced 11 teams- oops, should have been 9, fine shoot me. Meant 9 because thats how many big12 opponents. Had nothing to do with predicting how the rest will develop. Graphic before our game the other night projected 7 big 12 potential NCAA teams in tiers...we were not listed. Just saying it will be challenging to go 9-9. Doesn't mean we can't do it. Nor did it mean all 9 were better. SO......if you guys want to just 'assume' and reference that there are only 5 or 6 teams to compete with, then that's fine. Go for it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Can't tell if you're baiting CFers or serious here. Just too soon to tell until the competition ramps up and of course avoiding injuries/suspensions. Will be interesting at what thoughts will be posted come Jan/Feb. All of us are encouraged by last three games, but to make the tourney, you're talking going at least 9-9 in the big12. Looking at the other 11 teams, that will be pretty challenging for this roster to do. CSP is big12 coach of the year if he gets it done, imo, AND we know they'll be trying their damnest to do it. Lard, Wigginton, Talley, Long, and even Solomon still look like young pups out there sometimes, tho.

Baylor with an 18 point lead on Wisc last night and Texas Tech with a throttling of a rated Northwestern bodes well for Big12 . Not to mention Kansas, West Virginia, TCU, OU, Texas, etc. Man, its going to be super tough every night out in the big12. Any predictions on how many losses the Big12 champ will have this year? KU supposedly getting more studs at semester time so that could help them, too.

Being delusionally optimistic is my natural state of affairs, but there's no question that the Big 12 could be really, really tough. There has always been the possibility that this year's Iowa State will look a lot like last year's Oklahoma (very young, lots of new faces, lots of talent and potential, poor league record). That could be the case. I am encouraged by the way that we are developing as we seem more multidimensional than OU was, but it's very early, and we have yet to face teams of the level that we will face in conference season.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Being delusionally optimistic is my natural state of affairs, but there's no question that the Big 12 could be really, really tough. There has always been the possibility that this year's Iowa State will look a lot like last year's Oklahoma (very young, lots of new faces, lots of talent and potential, poor league record). That could be the case. I am encouraged by the way that we are developing as we seem more multidimensional than OU was, but it's very early, and we have yet to face teams of the level that we will face in conference season.

Well said. And thanks for not reminding me that my original post said 11 big12 opponents instead of 9 ...oops, must still be living in the ole' big 12. Whar Nebr and Colorado??? lol

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I just want to ask where all the negative nancys on Prohm are? Saying that he's a terrible coach and all. This is an extremely young and inexperienced team so it'll take time to build that team chemistry. But, to say that Prohm was a terrible coach was pure lunacy. By no means am I predicting NCAA tourney, but give this group some time to learn and grow. They should definitely compete and NIT shouldn't be out of question. Yeah, it looked bleak the first two games, but can we PLEASE stop with the Prohm can't coach. He's young and still learning. The fact he said he could now return to Ames shows he at least has a sense of humor with all the hateful comments I saw on twitter after those first two games.

I think it'll be fun to watch this team grow and see how he coaches them to March.

Never paid much attention to the Prohm haters. Some people say something negative because it makes them think they'll appear knowledgeable about basketball. However, if you look at Prohm's overall record, it's clear that he is an exceptional coach. Add to that how he has gotten his ISU teams to reach their potential by tournament time, one can only conclude that "Prohm can't coach" is nothing more than "fake news."

How many ISU fans ever dreamed that Weiler-Babb would be the PG instead of Jackson or Wigginton, and be so effective? That this transition is working out so well is another indication of Prohm's coaching abilities. Even Boise State's coach said the quick improvement in the team almost overnight is attributable to the coaches.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I referenced 11 teams- oops, should have been 9, fine shoot me. Meant 9 because thats how many big12 opponents. Had nothing to do with predicting how the rest will develop. Graphic before our game the other night projected 7 big 12 potential NCAA teams in tiers...we were not listed. Just saying it will be challenging to go 9-9. Doesn't mean we can't do it. Nor did it mean all 9 were better. SO......if you guys want to just 'assume' and reference that there are only 5 or 6 teams to compete with, then that's fine. Go for it.
Your point was valid. A team that’s top-40 range could potentially still be 8th or 9th in this conference, which doesn’t result in a good conference record. No doubt this is largely the cause of pessimism over this season being a success.

• Agree
Reactions: allfourcy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Your point was valid. A team that’s top-40 range could potentially still be 8th or 9th in this conference, which doesn’t result in a good conference record. No doubt this is largely the cause of pessimism over this season being a success.

I am worrying about growth and competitiveness more than W-L this year.

• Agree
Reactions: acgclone

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I am worrying about growth and competitiveness more than W-L this year.
Right, we’ve already readjusted our metric of success due to how unlikely the tournament is. I’m hoping to see improved fundamentals as well. On a global sense this season isn’t going to be a success, but as it is, even a bad conference record due to a bunch of close losses to tournament teams, similar to 2010-11, is encouraging for next year.

• Funny
Reactions: jwtcyclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Just a guess on the "final" rotation for this year...

NWB (1 on offense, 3 on defense)
Jackson (SG on offense, defends the opponent's best guard)
Wiggi (3 on offense with his bulk, covers the other guard)
Young (finally can face the basket some)
Lard (the lurking dunker and rim protector/runner)
---
Brase (steadying influence off the bench)
Talley (backup wing and small-ball 4 for his defense)
Long (going to need at least one more guard)

spot minutes for Lewis and Beverly, unless Lewis clearly passes Long

And next year...

NWB
Wiggi
Shayok
Young
Lard

I wonder how our expectations are going to change given how this year goes and how, for the most part, we likely return 4/5 starters and a few rotation guys. It is nice to have unit cohesion and experience coming back, even if that unit did not win a ton of games last year.

Talley, Long, and Jacobson will have the first shot at the next tier as upperclassmen.

Lewis might be coming on pretty strong by that point.

I would imagine Griffin and THT push for a lot of time and contribute quickly.

Haliburton and Conditt are likely out of luck to start, each a candidate for a RS. Haliburton is in a rough spot behind NWB and Wiggi at the PG position and Conditt might need some time to be ready to compete with experienced upperclassmen like Jacobson, Young, and Lard, but I hope for something of a Luke Kornet arc out of him.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think people are getting way ahead of themselves on this. This is the kind of talk that when the kid doesn't live up to the crazy talk.....he is a disappointment. When actually it was just nonsense to begin with.

Agreed. But he doesn't have to be an NBA guy. I don't really care. In 1 week we went from being absolutely unable to get offense initiated to feeling like the team at least has an identity. That's a ton of progress in a week and definitely a testament to both NWB and the coaching.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Can you link a post to someone that said he was a terrible coach? You’ll always be able to find such things on Twitter about almost any coach. If you need universal praise on Twitter, or any other such medium for affirmation, you’re always going to be disappointed.

I shouldn't have to link a post. If you haven't come across any of the Fred worshipers where they were blatantly saying they don't think Prohm is a good coach then I don't know what to tell you. It's been since last year. "Prohm was playing with Fred's players, Prohm can't do in game adjustments...etc. Twitter was just at a whole 'nother level of stupid last couple of weeks. I'm sure it can be found on here somewhere (not this thread). I'm merely pointing out that people want to throw Prohm in the pit of misery before the guy can coach up any of his own players...guess that's what instant gratification does to people.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I shouldn't have to link a post. If you haven't come across any of the Fred worshipers where they were blatantly saying they don't think Prohm is a good coach then I don't know what to tell you. It's been since last year. "Prohm was playing with Fred's players, Prohm can't do in game adjustments...etc. Twitter was just at a whole 'nother level of stupid last couple of weeks. I'm sure it can be found on here somewhere (not this thread). I'm merely pointing out that people want to throw Prohm in the pit of misery before the guy can coach up any of his own players...guess that's what instant gratification does to people.
So you don’t have a link to a poster saying Prohm is terrible? Criticism is not the same as saying a coach is terrible.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron