UMKC at Iowa State

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Durr isn't in the projected starting line-up (not surprising), but that doesn't mean she won't play some. I haven't seen anything either way as of yet, but that doesn't mean a quick blurb didn't slip by unnoticed.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I assume that they will rest her. UMKC is joke. The tourny they are headed to appears to have some decent teams. Tulane and Central Michgan both beat Vandy this year. San diego st. is 3-0. Still, I could see her resting until Drake.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Durr has played some minutes. Wearing a knee brace.

UMKC really is awful. The don't shot, they throw the ball at the hoop.

Wise has been frequently guarded by a gal she has 8" of height on.

Our ball handling against pressure from this not good team has looked super shaky. They don't as much chance to set the pressure up because they never score any baskets. :rolleyes: P5 teams that run pressure would make us look pretty bad right now.

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
53-31 after 3. Maddie Wise has 76 rebounds it seems.

UMKC inexpliably came out of half taking the shot clock down 15 seconds of every posession before getting into their offense.

As several have said, they are not good, but we are struggling with turnovers. Again.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We look like we don't really want to been even playing this game which is too bad for all of the folks who showed up to watch tonight. Sure we are going to win by 15-20 points and there is no way we would ever lose this but still a pretty lackadaisical looking effort.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
The young team played with great effort. The press ate their lunch. They will get better and should surprise a few teams.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
That was one fugly game. What a bunch of garbage UMKC put on the floor. They played their stupid pressure defense (but DID force 21 turnovers) to compensate for not having any offense whatsoever. They were so bad, the zebras didn't even know how to call the game half the time (worse than usual). I think the dozen or so fans of theirs might be all that show up at their home gym, because who on earth would pay to watch that pile of s***.

On our part, I was happy with the two double-doubles by Scott and Wise. Nice to see Mere get off to a good start tonight. I don't think we were as bad as their defense made it seem.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
My "instant reaction" thoughts on tonight's game, may come up with more after I watch the replay of the game

0. UMKC is BAD. Why were they wasting 15 seconds on the shot clock only to launch a 3 from the top of the key. Even when they were hitting them, they slowed it down. The only explanation i could come up with is that their game plan was just to not get blown out.

1. Bridget should NOT be running point or distributing the ball. I think we've had enough evidence of that with all the games this season. She seems to be best when we can get her the ball on the wing and she has a side to work with (either one pass option or shoot).

2. Emily looked good all things considered. Jump shot was off tonight, but probably a given with her leg injury. We can all agree that we need her running point, so i hope she can get better before league play

3. Mere and Kristin both played really well in the post again tonight.

4. Madison again looked like she belongs in the starting lineup.

5. I think the best 5 right now are: Emily, Madison, Bridget, Adriana, Mere. Those should be your starters. Mere is in because she does the "little things" right now that Kristin Scott doesn't quite have down yet. But Kristin would be the first player off the bench and evenly split minutes with Mere.

6. Other than making some hustle plays, still not seeing where/how Bride is going to be successful come big 12 play. Struggled to really get position/shots on an out matched opponent. I think the coaches have their work cut out to get her ready for the upgrade in competition.

7. Rae is going to have some growing pains (i.e. 5 turnovers). You can see the talent, just going to take some bumps along the road with the little mistakes.

8. Couldn't believe how many times our guards dribbled right into the trap in the full court press. You could tell coach Fennelly was going nuts about it too. We very rarely got the ball to the middle of the court to attack the press.

9. It was fun seeing Emily and Madison actually advance the ball up the court after rebounds. The last few years that has been non existent as we watched Jada totally ignore the runners for passes.

10. Felt bad for the refs in this one. It was definitely a hard game to call as UMKC was very active (think a less physical West Virginia -> but same fouling philosophy).

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'm sure they practice inbounds plays in practice but it sure doesn't look like it and I don't know if Bridget should be the one inbounding the ball she made several bad decisions tonight.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
There is a reason UMKC has a rookie head coach. The AD had to notice that the Kangaroo recruiting effort was sadly lacking. UMKC will be a totally different team in 3-4 years. New head coach and former Kansas State assistant Jacie Hoyt is an excellent recruiter.

• Agree
Reactions: runbikeswim

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
This team has a lot of potential. 4 new players all playing significant roles. Lots of inconsistant play right now, but it will be fun to watch the growth.

• Agree
Reactions: kcdc4isu

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
This team has a lot of potential. 4 new players all playing significant roles. Lots of inconsistant play right now, but it will be fun to watch the growth.

Agree, this team is in the growing stage. At times we have one player from last season and 4 new players. Hope the tourney they are going to helps them get better like the one just did for the men.