Creighton lighting it up

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
We're still in tiny-sample-size period, but CU could actually contend for top-third in Big East.

So far, wins over 2 teams generally projected for NCAAT (Northwestern, UCLA) and one of Ivy League's auto-bid favorites (Yale).

Two more significant tests coming: vs. Baylor and in HOF Classic championship, then at Gonzaga 12/1.

Quite a bit of "filler" between those and first two BE games, at Seton Hall and vs. Providence (0-2 vs. those would be no surprise): North Dakota, Nebraska, UMES, UTSA and SC-Upstate.

• Agree
Reactions: Nothingman

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It is unfortunate he wasn't capable of succeeding at ISU.

One of the greater mysteries in my college basketball experience. I feel like I know the game pretty well, and was thrilled when he signed to be our coach. Had really good recruits for the most part, and it's clear that he is a great coach. No idea why it didn't work here, unless it was simply a matter of learning to coach with a different level of athlete. It appears that he definitely got that figured out.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
One of the greater mysteries in my college basketball experience. I feel like I know the game pretty well, and was thrilled when he signed to be our coach. Had really good recruits for the most part, and it's clear that he is a great coach. No idea why it didn't work here, unless it was simply a matter of learning to coach with a different level of athlete. It appears that he definitely got that figured out.

I agree, left me scratching my head. Very glad to see him succeed. Also, nice to see them beat UCLA (Alford).

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
If he doesn't kick mike taylor off the team and WJ stays healthy, he might still be our coach.

oh wait, then doug would've gone to UNI and they would've beat us 4 years in a row, right?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Something about that conference fits his style very nicely.
He seems to have good guys on the teams at all times and has them ready.

Bummer nothing worked for him when he was in the Big XII.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
If he doesn't kick mike taylor off the team and WJ stays healthy, he might still be our coach.

oh wait, then doug would've gone to UNI and they would've beat us 4 years in a row, right?
Who knows? If McDoormatt hadn't seen the writing on the wall, maybe Dougie would have stayed home (and maybe they would have had a better chance at Harrison Barnes though that may not be. so). What we do know is that McDoormat failed miserably .

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
The problem wasnt the good players he had. Brackin's and WJ were very good. It' the Sean Haluska types that played major minutes that killed us. Plus everyone was leaving the sinking ship as fast as possible.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I imagine McD learned a few things as from his time at ISU that he may not have grasped going into the gig, and has applied some of that effectively at Creighton. We could speculate about details (if we truly wanted to rehash that period).

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal2001

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Members of his family have indicated had he known just how big of a mess the basketball program was before he arrived he would have never come here. It is hard telling what kind of things he had to clean up off the court after the Wayne Morgan era. This may have factored into his success on the court.

I think there is something to it, but it could certainly just be a family member making an excuse for McD.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The odds were good that the McDermott hire would work and he eventually would have found success. Sometimes a few early missteps can derail things. As mentioned, if Mike Taylor doesn’t get the boot and WJ injured, he has some early success. He definitely needed to recruit the backcourt better and manage the locker room better.

He’s learned some things imo. He’s gotten a few very good transfers to rebuild after his son left. He still has some system guys that he never could win in the Big 12 with.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We're still in tiny-sample-size period, but CU could actually contend for top-third in Big East.

So far, wins over 2 teams generally projected for NCAAT (Northwestern, UCLA) and one of Ivy League's auto-bid favorites (Yale).

Two more significant tests coming: vs. Baylor and in HOF Classic championship, then at Gonzaga 12/1.

Quite a bit of "filler" between those and first two BE games, at Seton Hall and vs. Providence (0-2 vs. those would be no surprise): North Dakota, Nebraska, UMES, UTSA and SC-Upstate.
After that Northwestern performance against Tech, I'm wondering exactly what they have in Evanston. It's not very often I say it wasn't as close as the score in a 30+ point victory but in this case it wasn't. The blush is certainly coming off of that particular Creighton victory.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The problem wasnt the good players he had. Brackin's and WJ were very good. It' the Sean Haluska types that played major minutes that killed us. Plus everyone was leaving the sinking ship as fast as possible.

This is always how I've perceived it. He had some great star players, and then a bunch of Mid-Major level guys. That just won't work against Big12 teams night in, and night out.

He absolutely did not handle recruiting at the Big12 level well.

It didn't help at all that ISU basketball under Wayne Morgan was some of the least disciplined basketball I've seen at ISU. And then both Stinson and Blalock decided to leave before McD got there.

He was much better at the mid major level. He benefited greatly from taking over a damn good Creighton team and having a few years in the MVC to really cement his system in the program.

His transition to the Big East has gone much better than I anticipated because of his ability to establish his system.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Those wins might not be as great as they look. Texas Tech destroyed Northwestern by almost 40. Tech will be good this year but it is safe to assume that Northwestern shouldn't have been rated. I assume that UCLA was playing without three players due to the China incident?

Not saying Creighton isn't good. He has done a terrific job there.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Those wins might not be as great as they look. Texas Tech destroyed Northwestern by almost 40. Tech will be good this year but it is safe to assume that Northwestern shouldn't have been rated. I assume that UCLA was playing without three players due to the China incident?

Not saying Creighton isn't good. He has done a terrific job there.

Only the one guy would play rotation minutes and the Ball kid might play a little, other than numbers it's not that big of deal.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is always how I've perceived it. He had some great star players, and then a bunch of Mid-Major level guys. That just won't work against Big12 teams night in, and night out.

He absolutely did not handle recruiting at the Big12 level well.

It didn't help at all that ISU basketball under Wayne Morgan was some of the least disciplined basketball I've seen at ISU. And then both Stinson and Blalock decided to leave before McD got there.

He was much better at the mid major level. He benefited greatly from taking over a damn good Creighton team and having a few years in the MVC to really cement his system in the program.

His transition to the Big East has gone much better than I anticipated because of his ability to establish his system.

A lot of the transfers out were driven by McD's playing style though. While he was at Iowa State he refused to play with pace and played his slow MVC tempo. When he went to Creighton that all changed. He allowed much more freedom on offense and his teams play with pace now. Unfortunately we were the guinea pig...