*** Official Boise St. Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My impressions so far:

Babb - Really proving me wrong and I'm loving it. He takes care of the ball well, distributes well, drives strong, finishes above the rim and has greatly improved his shot and confidence
Jackson - I thought he was gonna be our PG, but he plays so much better off the ball. Plays with passion, but is the person I want to see with the ball in his hands at the end of the game or when we need a big shot
Wigginton - game is starting to slow down and he's showing the talent we thought we had. Has outstanding body control and big hops. Defense is a work in progress, but seems committed to improving. He strikes me as that guy on the other team that pisses me off that we can't keep out of the lane.
Solo - Sprints everywhere and always working. Has offensive talent, but needs more looks. He still gets great position on the blocks but doesn't get fed the ball. Can run through screens like I run through a swarm of gnats.
Beverly - Plays bigger than he is when going after rebounds. Offensively capable of getting to double digits, but probably will hover around 5-6 on average. Defensive work in progress, but (I have no real basis for this next statement) he seems very coachable.
Brase - Smart, but still obviously very tentative. He gets caught reacting defensively too much right now and doesn't have the recovery speed to do that. His positioning is good on both ends, but I think he needs to trust his knee to be as effective as he can be. I want to see him closer to 100%.
Lard - Fun to watch for me. Has a fire that is needed. It will likely result in some dumb fouls, but it'll also result in some rebounds we would not have otherwise gotten. I hope someone can coach him offensively in terms of footwork. He has a really high ceiling if he can get some post moves along with being a rim runner.
Talley - I was expecting a more polished offensive player, but I'm altering my expectations for him. I think he'll have moments where he'll go off, but he's gonna have to get used to Prohm's system to garner a lot of playing time. He's out of position a lot and needs more discipline. Not a 3 point shooter. Hope he focuses on slashing more and using his height and length to his advantage.
Lewis - He seems to need the most adjustment period right now and that's fine. He looks like a very smooth player that is still adjusting to the speed of the college game. He'll need to bulk up a bit to body up on defense or he'll get exposed by Big XII guards/wings. I had unfairly high hopes for him making an early impact, but I've backed up my timetable a bit.
Long - I still don't know what to expect. He clearly has the size and is capable of getting hot shooting, but maybe lacks the consistency right now? I didn't follow him defensively enough to know how he did. I'd be interested for other point of views.

I like your assessments as I think all ten guys have potential and can help this team in different ways. Beverly and Brase seem to take a lot of flack in the game threads, but both bring a measure of calm and execution to the floor, whatever their physical limitations may be.

I agree that Talley should stick to driving the ball, though maybe he's hitting from range in practice and it just hasn't shown in a game yet and Prohm wants him to at least hold his man on the perimeter?

• Agree
Reactions: othercy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
And the thing is, I have really liked what he has done so far. He knows his role and has been doing it.
You really like what he’s done so far? I appreciate being positive, but that’s outlandish for his performance. He’s got a great attitude and can be a warm body to burn some minutes.

It isn’t as much about what he does as much as what he doesn’t. His usage % is effectively 3rd on the team.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78 and pulse

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You really like what he’s done so far? I appreciate being positive, but that’s outlandish for his performance. He’s got a great attitude and can be a warm body to burn some minutes.

It isn’t as much about what he does as much as what he doesn’t. His usage % is effectively 3rd on the team.

Not everyone needs to be a superstar. He plays hard and shoots when he's open. He isn't out there forcing anything.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: NWICY and othercy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not everyone needs to be a superstar. He plays hard and shoots when he's open. He isn't out there forcing anything.
No one is suggesting he needs to be a superstar. Playing hard and shooting when open is a very low bar for really liking a guy with that usage percentage.

His minutes should go down and I would not be surprised if he eventually moves into 9th man role.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
No one is suggesting he needs to be a superstar. Playing hard and shooting when open is a very low bar for really liking a guy with that usage percentage.

His minutes should go down and I would not be surprised if he eventually moves into 9th man role.
I agree his minutes will go down as we realize Lard and Solo are our best starting options. But being pushed from a starting role to 9th is a big drop off

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I think Beverly so far is the player that Prohm expected. A hard nosed experienced player. The only question With Beverly is his outside shot. If he can be north of 30% from 3 then he'll be a very effective player for this team.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Picked up my son at the in-laws yesterday in central Nebraska. Forgot to DVR it and thought I was screwed. Around 6:30 I surprisingly found the 540 AM Learfield broadcast 70 miles east of Lincoln.

At first I thought i was getting the Boise(?) broadcast, then realized it was CW and Blum instead of Walters. Got home with about 6 minutes to go in the game.

/cool story bro

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I hope CSP gets to this lineup sooner than later. How Beverly starts ahead of Lard is a head scratcher, but Prohm knows what he is doing.

May not want to throw Lard into the starting lineup so soon after the suspension.

• Agree
Reactions: Stereotype

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
CF doesn't love Beverly but Steve Prohm does, I don't see his minutes going down much. He's not competing for minutes with Brase or Lard right now, the guys he is competing with, he's outplaying.

I am not sure why a there are a lot of negative posts about Beverly. He is limited athletically due to height but plays his role, works hard knows the offense and defense sets and has been effective. Prohm trust him at this point. Now this could change later in the season as Lard and Brase fit the post position well and have a more basketball ability. Even if Bev loses the "starting position" he'll still be getting solid minute off the bench all year (even if CF disapproves).

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I am not sure why a there are a lot of negative posts about Beverly. He is limited athletically due to height but plays his role, works hard knows the offense and defense sets and has been effective. Prohm trust him at this point. Now this could change later in the season as Lard and Brase fit the post position well and have a more basketball ability. Even if Bev loses the "starting position" he'll still be getting solid minute off the bench all year (even if CF disapproves).
The Holden situation all over again.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Except Holden averaged 8 points at LTU and Beverly averaged 15 at UTSA. Holden averaged 2 points at ISU and Beverly has had double digit points in two games. He made 9 free throws in a row and got a few rebounds.

Holden and Beverly are nothing alike, stop pushing crap like this. Beverly might not start during conference play(we don’t know the season is still young) but he will still be getting solid minutes every game.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Except Holden averaged 8 points at LTU and Beverly averaged 15 at UTSA. Holden averaged 2 points at ISU and Beverly has had double digit points in two games. He made 9 free throws in a row and got a few rebounds.

Holden and Beverly are nothing alike, stop pushing crap like this. Beverly might not start during conference play(we don’t know the season is still young) but he will still be getting solid minutes every game.
Box score watching is interesting. Yes, Beverly averaged more points in a mid-major conference. Great analysis.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Not sure about that. Holden did disappear in the middle of the season, but he came back to help us win some games later on. There seemed to be a noticeable uptick in Holden's energy level when he started getting playing time again. I have a good feeling that Beverly will stay a high energy guy... that's just who he is.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not sure about that. Holden did disappear in the middle of the season, but he came back to help us win some games later on. There seemed to be a noticeable uptick in Holden's energy level when he started getting playing time again. I have a good feeling that Beverly will stay a high energy guy... that's just who he is.
I have little doubt Beverly will have some good moments.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Beverly is a lot better than Holden was. How about that?
He’s a different type of player, but same situation in the sense both will fall down in the rotation. Beverly had a 34% usage for a bad UTSA team. Holden was 17% on a better LaTech team. Beverly is more competent on offense, but that’s a midget fight. Neither are getting minutes because of their offense at ISU.

I appreciate Jeff’s effort, but I don’t “really like” what he’s doing for us as one poster said. He’s a minutes burner imo. I don’t think he’s doing a particularly good job in the global view, although perhaps one could say he’s doing better than his teammates would. I disagree, but if you’re of the mindset there is no opportunity cost to Beverly, then I’m sure the story is great.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
May not want to throw Lard into the starting lineup so soon after the suspension.

I think its more of a concern whether Solomon and Lard can avoid foul trouble, cuz we need at least one of the two in the game, right?

• Agree
Reactions: jsb

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think its more of a concern whether Solomon and Lard can avoid foul trouble, cuz we need at least one of the two in the game, right?

I was wondering if Talley's someone who could go in for a spell for either at 6'7. Moves well and not afraid to go after it.

Hope Brase's strength/confidence hit a stride at some point. Seems to know where to be but can't quite get there.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy