Hawkeye Whine

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

othercy

Mar 31, 2012
Northern CA
Yep ... and that entitled attitude and lack of gratitude by Iowa fans is pretty amazing to those of us on the outside looking in ... same attitude that caused Lute to bail. And Fran getting same treatment.
Iowa headed to a 6-8 win season and some Iowa fans are losing their minds calling for KF to be canned.

ISU headed to a 7-9 win season and its one of the greatest seasons in school history.

Congrats?

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
It's an insult to Coach Kilmer to compare him to Kurt Ferents. No way Bud goes for the 2 point conversion down by 9.

And wasn't Iowa's other corner burnt toast on the other TD? Oh that's right. The wonderful fans in Kinnick rained down boos on the team. They'll say it was at the coaches, but when you are there it is quite difficult to differentiate.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Overheard some Hawk fans in my office say Iowa should go get Bob Stoops. lol

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
Have a good day everyone.

I am going to watch the Iowa/Louisiana game tonight and dont want to know the outcome prior to watching. Have to stay away from HR and this board as I am sure there will be a ton of discussion on it.
How did that go for you? Probably felt about as good as our game with UWM. -_- Man this year's Cy-Hawk basketball game is gonna be a real barn burner.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It's an insult to Coach Kilmer to compare him to Kurt Ferents. No way Bud goes for the 2 point conversion down by 9.

And wasn't Iowa's other corner burnt toast on the other TD? Oh that's right. The wonderful fans in Kinnick rained down boos on the team. They'll say it was at the coaches, but when you are there it is quite difficult to differentiate.
I keep hearing people freak out about this and don't get it. You know you have to score twice and get a 2 on one of those TDs. Why does it matter if you go for it on the first score? For some reason is it easier to get the 2 on the second score? So you know the games essentially over with 2 min left. WTF is the difference?
To me it's like a team down by two scores with 3:30 to go and is on D. The offense is just running the clock and burning play clock to 1. Defense uses time outs to preserve clock. People freak out about that too thinking they should save the TOs for the next defensive possession when it really makes no difference.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I keep hearing people freak out about this and don't get it. You know you have to score twice and get a 2 on one of those TDs. Why does it matter if you go for it on the first score? For some reason is it easier to get the 2 on the second score? So you know the games essentially over with 2 min left. WTF is the difference?
To me it's like a team down by two scores with 3:30 to go and is on D. The offense is just running the clock and burning play clock to 1. Defense uses time outs to preserve clock. People freak out about that too thinking they should save the TOs for the next defensive possession when it really makes no difference.

They talked about this on KXNO last night with Sage and Chuck Long, and it made some sense.

If you get the one there, you still have a chance to score again, go for two, and win the game. Missing the two point costs everything in terms of momentum. The team and the fans are completely deflated and there's almost no chance you can still win the game. Being down 8 keeps hope alive and increases you chances, while still slim, of winning the game.

Especially with how fickle the hok fans were. Once they missed that 2pt, people probably started leaving. Kick the XP and they might support their seniors for a few more minutes.

Another reason I can see to go for it on the last TD (if you get it) is that the opposing defense may be more worn down if you have scored two TDs in quick succession. Give you a better shot at the 2 point.

I don't think it's a HUGE coaching boner to go for it at that point, but it's definitely an all or nothing decision. Unless you are trying to surprise the defense by going for it early, but still.

In any case, you should be down to Purdue by 15 anyways.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007

Because by going for two there and failing you take away any hope of winning. The onside kick became meaningless. I guarantee that the defense would be feeling a lot more pressure trying recover an onside kick and then trying to defend a two point conversion on the last play of the game than with a nine point lead. A lot of things would have had to go right for them to even get another try at a two point conversion, but you have to keep hope alive for as long as you can.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
They talked about this on KXNO last night with Sage and Chuck Long, and it made some sense.

If you get the one there, you still have a chance to score again, go for two, and win the game. Missing the two point costs everything in terms of momentum. The team and the fans are completely deflated and there's almost no chance you can still win the game. Being down 8 keeps hope alive and increases you chances, while still slim, of winning the game.

Especially with how fickle the hok fans were. Once they missed that 2pt, people probably started leaving. Kick the XP and they might support their seniors for a few more minutes.

Another reason I can see to go for it on the last TD (if you get it) is that the opposing defense may be more worn down if you have scored two TDs in quick succession. Give you a better shot at the 2 point.

I don't think it's a HUGE coaching boner to go for it at that point, but it's definitely an all or nothing decision. Unless you are trying to surprise the defense by going for it early, but still.

In any case, you should be down to Purdue by 15 anyways.

This seems like one of those things that is more "Feeling" based than factual based. "Momentum" "Still have a chance" I would think statistically speaking, a 2 pt. conversion is a 2 pt. conversion. You are as likely to make it earlier in the game as you are later in the game. So yeah, by going for 1, you still leave "Hope" alive, but if you really wanted to go the momentum route, getting 2 pts earlier would certainly give you a little boost to momentum. I know the situation wasn't identical, but OSU going for 2 and the tie with plenty of time left certainly seemed to help them out.

I guess for me, I'm an instant gratification guy, so I'd go for it early, if for no other reason than, "Well, I need 2 at some point, so I might as well find out now weather all is lost as opposed to waiting for the last play of the game." I would like to see the numbers, but I would think, going for 2, statistically doesn't matter what point in the game it happens.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Because by going for two there and failing you take away any hope of winning. The onside kick became meaningless. I guarantee that the defense would be feeling a lot more pressure trying recover an onside kick and then trying to defend a two point conversion on the last play of the game than with a nine point lead. A lot of things would have had to go right for them to even get another try at a two point conversion, but you have to keep hope alive for as long as you can.
I understand the point of "being in the game longer" but if the chances of getting a 2 are the same on the first TD as they are the second it makes no difference in terms of chances to win.
In fact if you recover an inside kick with 2 min down 9 you at least know you can't bleed the clock and could kick a fg if you get to 4th down.
If the chances of converting the second 2 pt conversion are greater than the first, it is better to kick the PAT on the first TD. If the chances of converting the 2pt conversion are equal, it is better to go for 2 on the first TD. Both are probably such marginal differences that I really don't get people thinking it is a mistake.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This seems like one of those things that is more "Feeling" based than factual based. "Momentum" "Still have a chance" I would think statistically speaking, a 2 pt. conversion is a 2 pt. conversion. You are as likely to make it earlier in the game as you are later in the game. So yeah, by going for 1, you still leave "Hope" alive, but if you really wanted to go the momentum route, getting 2 pts earlier would certainly give you a little boost to momentum. I know the situation wasn't identical, but OSU going for 2 and the tie with plenty of time left certainly seemed to help them out.

I guess for me, I'm an instant gratification guy, so I'd go for it early, if for no other reason than, "Well, I need 2 at some point, so I might as well find out now weather all is lost as opposed to waiting for the last play of the game." I would like to see the numbers, but I would think, going for 2, statistically doesn't matter what point in the game it happens.

The actual 2 pt play is a low probability at any point in the game so I don't think that matters.

You don't think the atmosphere in the stadium would help get that last touchdown? Or the attitude of the players? If you are down 8 instead of 9 it should make a huge difference with both. the defense is also more on their heels with the game on the line.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The actual 2 pt play is a low probability at any point in the game so I don't think that matters.

You don't think the atmosphere in the stadium would help get that last touchdown? Or the attitude of the players? If you are down 8 instead of 9 it should make a huge difference with both. the defense is also more on their heels with the game on the line.

What if you make the 2 on the early try, do you think that would help the atmosphere in the stadium?

My point is, it doesn't matter when you go for it, your chances of getting the 2 are probably the same. If I'm merely going on momentum, I go for the 2 the first chance I have to get 2, we just scored, if momentum is a thing, it's on our side, might as well strike while the iron is hot and get the D fired up to make stop.

And just as a note, I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, just merely pointing out how I would approach it. Probably a good thing I'm not a coach.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
What if you make the 2 on the early try, do you think that would help the atmosphere in the stadium?

My point is, it doesn't matter when you go for it, your chances of getting the 2 are probably the same. If I'm merely going on momentum, I go for the 2 the first chance I have to get 2, we just scored, if momentum is a thing, it's on our side, might as well strike while the iron is hot and get the D fired up to make stop.

And just as a note, I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, just merely pointing out how I would approach it. Probably a good thing I'm not a coach.

There's also the option of lining up for the PAT and faking it for the 2 point attempt on the first TD. If you don't do that there's no way to bring the element of surprise into the attempt the next time - as everyone in the stadium knows you're going for 2 there.

Reactions: Clonefan94