RECRUITING: Darius McNeill status

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
He is good, but who’s minutes would he cut into on the ISU team?

I watched the whole game and I didn't think he looked good at all. Standing around on offense, dribbled into traps on the press, and overall played pretty poor defense in that zone they were trying. He made a good choice for him, because In Ames I don't think he would see the floor very much this year at all. Cal was a very poorly coached team that was lucky enough tonight to have two players shoot lights out and they still got beat in the end.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I watched the whole game and I didn't think he looked good at all. Standing around on offense, dribbled into traps on the press, and overall played pretty poor defense in that zone they were trying. He made a good choice for him, because In Ames I don't think he would see the floor very much this year at all. Cal was a very poorly coached team that was lucky enough tonight to have two players shoot lights out and they still got beat in the end.

idk, sure there were inexperienced mistakes, but he showed an occasional sweet shot, seems capable of handling the ball, and Jay Bilas complemented his game considering he was a freshmen. Future wise, he appears to have a good one.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
He is good, but who’s minutes would he cut into on the ISU team?

Or a worse thought what recruit wouldn't ISU have coming in next year if he would have stayed? Probably Tyrese and Tyrese was a big influence on getting THT to Ames.

I liked McNeil's game and hope he has a good career at Cal like he would have had at ISU. He made a choice that he thought was best for him and got earlier playing time than he would have likely got at ISU. Prohm rebounded nicely in recruiting and the Cyclones are just fine moving forward.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Darius Mcneil and Cal lose 96-72 to Divison 2 Chaminde today.

Cal coach Wyking Jones was blunt after the Bears' loss to Division II Chaminade. "For me, in all the years that I've been coaching, I've never been so embarrassed in my life from the lack of effort from our guys," he said. "So, for me, it's about going back to the drawing board, myself and my staff, and figuring out what changes we need to make because there definitely needs to be some changes. So we just have to go back to the drawing board and figure that out, what changes we need to make. But there will definitely be some changes.

Great choice young man, now you and your handler can fade into basketball purgatory.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

Cal coach Wyking Jones was blunt after the Bears' loss to Division II Chaminade. "For me, in all the years that I've been coaching, I've never been so embarrassed in my life from the lack of effort from our guys," he said. "So, for me, it's about going back to the drawing board, myself and my staff, and figuring out what changes we need to make because there definitely needs to be some changes. So we just have to go back to the drawing board and figure that out, what changes we need to make. But there will definitely be some changes.

Great choice young man, now you and your handler can fade into basketball purgatory.

People don't work as hard if they feel underpaid. Maybe they weren't paid enough?

• Funny
Reactions: skibumspe

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017

Looks like he made the right choice

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I will take whichever guy got his scholly whether it is one of the two sit outs or one of the guys from the 2018 class. He did us a favor imo.

Reactions: heitclone

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Speaking of 'what if' players, can't decide if I want to torture myself and stay up late to get a glimpse of Juiston tonight, and if he'll repeat his 19 rebound outing last game.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Speaking of 'what if' players, can't decide if I want to torture myself and stay up late to get a glimpse of Juiston tonight, and if he'll repeat his 19 rebound outing last game.

Meh, part of recruiting a lot of good players is missing on some good players. I'd feel bad if we didn't have a talented roster, but we do. So I don't.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
UNLV beat Utah 85 to 58. Pretty impressive given Utah had beaten Missouri by 18.

Only 4 points and 3 rebounds in 22 minutes for Juiston, by far his worst game statistically. The five star McCoy is playing to his recruiting ranking.

Speaking of other recruits besides McNeill and Juiston:

-Imo the staff made the correct call in passing on Edwards (LSU). In 16 minutes/game he is averaging 3.6 points shooting 36% on 3P fgs. Only 1.2 assists. He wanted to play pg so perhaps that transition is starting slowly.

-McKinley Wright looks good against soft competition and imo will go down as a miss. He’s averaging 15 points, 4.6 assists, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.4 turnovers. Against Drake he went for 21 points, 9 assists, 5 rebounds, and 1 turnover.

-Elijah Brown (5th year shooting guard from Butler/New Mexico) would have been a big get. Averaging 12 points and almost 4 assists a game while shooting 40% on three pointers in 28 minutes/game.

-Markel Crawford at Mississippi (5th year combo guard from Memphis). Averaging 9 points, 3.8 assists, and 1.4 turnovers. Shooting very poorly.

-Zach Lofton (5th year transfer guard from Ill St/Texas Southern) is scoring and shooting well at 25 points/gm for New Mexico State. 31% usage. I don’t know if we passed, but for as good as he’s shooting and scoring he would have been a substantial addition.

-Duane Wilson at A$M (5th year pg from Marquette). This is a Milwaukee native the previous staff would have rightfully gone after imo. He’s starting for A$M averaging 10.5 points, 4.5 assists, and 2.5 turnovers. Bad shooting, but would be better than an open spot.

-Mark Alstork at Illinois (5th year combo guard from Wright St). I was surprised he landed at Illinois, even with committing late. He looked like he had serious potential. It’s early, but he’s averaging 6.6 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1.6 turnovers in 21 minutes. Shooting 31% on three pointers.

- Kassius Robertson at Missouri (5th year guard from Canisius) . I’m glad we didn’t really go after him, although I could be convinced otherwise given we have an open spot. He’s averaging 13 points/gm, but shooting under 30% on 3P fgs with a poor eFG and TS percentages. Also just 2.8 assists to 2.5 turnovers with a 24% usage.

-Stokes has been out with an injury at Florida and as has Feazell at Mississippi State

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
UNLV beat Utah 85 to 58. Pretty impressive given Utah had beaten Missouri by 18.

Only 4 points and 3 rebounds in 22 minutes for Juiston, by far his worst game statistically. The five star McCoy is playing to his recruiting ranking.

Speaking of other recruits besides McNeill and Juiston:

-Imo the staff made the correct call in passing on Edwards (LSU). In 16 minutes/game he is averaging 3.6 points shooting 36% on 3P fgs. Only 1.2 assists. He wanted to play pg so perhaps that transition is starting slowly.

-McKinley Wright looks good against soft competition and imo will go down as a miss. He’s averaging 15 points, 4.6 assists, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.4 turnovers. Against Drake he went for 21 points, 9 assists, 5 rebounds, and 1 turnover.

-Elijah Brown (5th year shooting guard from Butler/New Mexico) would have been a big get. Averaging 12 points and almost 4 assists a game while shooting 40% on three pointers in 28 minutes/game.

-Zach Lofton (5th year transfer guard from Ill St/Texas Southern) is scoring and shooting well at 25 points/gm for New Mexico State. 31% usage. I don’t know if we passed, but for as good as he’s shooting and scoring he would have been a substantial addition.

-Duane Wilson at A$M (5th year pg from Marquette). This is a Milwaukee native the previous staff would have rightfully gone after imo. He’s starting for A$M averaging 10.5 points, 4.5 assists, and 2.5 turnovers. Bad shooting though.

-Mark Alstork at Illinois (5th year combo guard from Wright St). I was surprised he landed at Illinois, even with committing late. He looked like he had serious potential. It’s early, but he’s averaging 6.6 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 1.6 turnovers in 21 minutes. Shooting 31% on three pointers.

- Kassius Robertson at Missouri (5th year guard from Canisius) . I’m glad we didn’t really go after him, although I could be convinced otherwise. He’s averaging 13 points/gm, but shooting under 30% on 3P fgs with a poor eFG and TS percentages. Also just 2.8 assists to 2.5 turnovers with a 24% usage.

-Stokes has been out with an injury at Florida and as has Feazell at Mississippi State

Two points....
Edwards wasn't a "pass" by the Staff. He was a priority and they didn't get the commitment that led to the targeting of Post Guard transfers of Brown, Alstork and Egor. Edwards chose LSU for immediate playing time due to the coaching change. The issue was Will Wade ended up recruiting over him after his commitment with a lot of high quality perimeter options. (Especially Tremont Waters former Georgetown commit). I do think Edwards shooting would have been very good for this team in a sixth man role and he'd have better numbers at ISU.

I also don't consider Mckinley Wright as a miss. At the time they had McNeil as the developmental PG/SG and went all in on recruiting Wigginton. If the staff would have missed on Wigginton then they would deserve criticism for deciding on pulling his offer when he wanted to commit early. I guess they could have tried to gone after him after he decommited from Dayton but I think at that point the ship had sailed. I think he is a good player but he is benifiting from getting more time than he would at this point in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron