David Montgomery "ready to roll" and feels "great"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just love this kid. Beyond the very rare ability on the field, his toughness, determination and work ethic, along with his team first attitude, make him really a one of a kind kid. The kind you build a program around. It seems like Campbell likes to recruit kids who just love the game, and I think that can really work.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And is it too late to start a Joel Lanning award or something having to do with teamwork, leadership, etc.?

Who goes from just learning the position to being Top 20 in tackles in one season?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
montgomery-express.jpg

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Glad to hear he's OK. Gotta love the kid's toughness. I still wouldn't mind seeing a backfield by committee approach this Saturday just to be on the safe side.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I wouldn't mind a future backfield that had Montgomery and Croney at the same time occasionally.

Yeah, something to think about for next season. With Kene Nwangwu back in the mix the staff is going to have plenty of options. Montgomery is still head and shoulders the best of the bunch, but it's nice having that quality depth there.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Yeah, something to think about for next season. With Kene Nwangwu back in the mix the staff is going to have plenty of options. Montgomery is still head and shoulders the best of the bunch, but it's nice having that quality depth there.
Toledo gave major carries to 2 and some years 3 backs while CMC was there.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Toledo gave major carries to 2 and some years 3 backs while CMC was there.

Yeah, I remember you posted something about that before the season. I thought it was interesting because that included when Kareem Hunt was there, and now it looks like as the feature back in KC he's been starting to wear down a bit the last few weeks. There's definitely something to be said for keeping your best running back fresh.

Montgomery is clearly the best option and should be the primary back, but if there are other capable RBs on the roster I'm all for them getting mixed in as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I think it's Stanford that occasionally goes 3 back set. I say go for it.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I'm all for adding that Banks kid as well.

What a stable of backs that would be.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I'm certainly not advocating for less time from DM, but Croney looked great when he was in. Props to the line for wearing them down. Seemed like Croney was blowing thru that hole. It was awesome to see him step in at a crucial time and get the needed yards to seal the win.