Have you ever spatchcocked your turkey?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Alright, you SOBs, since nobody wanted to explain what it was (and since most of the funny replies were already taken), I googled it. For those that want to know but not risk the potentially NSFW Google search, it means cutting out the backbone and laying it flat to cook. Butterflying it, essentially.

Looks interesting and it makes sense. I may have to try that this year.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Alright, you SOBs, since nobody wanted to explain what it was (and since most of the funny replies were already taken), I googled it. For those that want to know but not risk the potentially NSFW Google search, it means cutting out the backbone and laying it flat to cook. Butterflying it, essentially.

Looks interesting and it makes sense. I may have to try that this year.

haha I was waiting for this post. I kind of got the jist of it though from the picture that was posted.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I spatchcock chicken, but I'll never do that to a turkey. Part of the joy of Thanksgiving is having that beautiful presentation. Spatchcocking is not a good presentation.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I spatchcock chicken, but I'll never do that to a turkey. Part of the joy of Thanksgiving is having that beautiful presentation. Spatchcocking is not a good presentation.

Really? I think it looks great to have the whole chicken splayed out, brown and crispy and wonderful. Seems like the turkey would be just as nice looking. Though finding a big enough platter could be tough, let alone roasting pan.

I just did a spatchcocked roast chicken for dinner a few days ago. 40 minutes at 500F, crispy skin and juicy meat. We'll be frying our turkey again this year since it's fast, delicious and opens the oven for other good things like green bean casserole. I did smoke a 25 lb turkey once (not spatchcocked) and it was amazing, though the skin came out like leather so that was pretty inedible. But it took like 14 hours. I don't mind spending half a day doing ribs or a pork butt, but I really dislike setting a 4AM alarm on the weekend (charcoal smoker).

Reactions: harimad

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Really? I think it looks great to have the whole chicken splayed out, brown and crispy and wonderful. Seems like the turkey would be just as nice looking. Though finding a big enough platter could be tough, let alone roasting pan.

I just did a spatchcocked roast chicken for dinner a few days ago. 40 minutes at 500F, crispy skin and juicy meat. We'll be frying our turkey again this year since it's fast, delicious and opens the oven for other good things like green bean casserole. I did smoke a 25 lb turkey once (not spatchcocked) and it was amazing, though the skin came out like leather so that was pretty inedible. But it took like 14 hours. I don't mind spending half a day doing ribs or a pork butt, but I really dislike setting a 4AM alarm on the weekend (charcoal smoker).

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think a spatchcocked bird looks great. It just doesn't look like Thanksgiving to me.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
We do Thanksgiving on my side of the family on Thanksgiving day. My turkey is being made for the wife's side of the family on Sunday. Maybe I will ask my mom if I can spatchcock her turkey on Thursday as a trial run.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Maybe I will ask my mom if I can spatchcock her turkey on Thursday as a trial run.

awesome-facial-expressions-change-while-acting.gif