Fact or myth?

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
I recall a story about Switzer bringing out his starters in street clothes after halftime in Ames. I can't confirm it using the interwebs. Did that actually happen, or is it Iowa State black humor?

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I don't think it was street clothes, but it might as well have been. What I remember is that some of the starters took their jerseys and shoulder pads off and bought hot dogs from the aisle vendors and had a party on the bench during the 2nd half. Switzer probably reveled in it. He might be the king delta bravo of all time among college coaches, in any sport.

• Funny
Reactions: CyInDFW

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
It did. I got my pic taken with the Boz in the 4th qtr in the concourse. He was wearing zubaz while he was eating a hotdog.

I would of kicked him in the crotch and ran to nearest cop. Not right showing up a team like that.

Jimlad

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
This is the wrong forum, but doesn't deserve a thread of its own.
I was once told the wood panels that make up the hilton ceiling are the old floor from the armory. I've never found that anywhere and am too young to have been around when that happened. Is that legit?

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
I know you were joking but this legend was before the Boz, hell ISU almost beat OU (something like 10-12 score??) at the first night game at the Jack in the early 80's. The hotdog incident was a QB maybe Thomas Lott or J. C. Watts.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
8 year old DurangoCy got hungry before a little league game and bought a hot dog - 30 minutes pregame. Likely because I was doing chores until 10 minutes before we had to leave for the game.

My d-bag coach reamed me out and sat me. He would not have stood for such shenanigans by OU players. ...or 8 year olds.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Yes the story is a "True Fact" as a drinking buddy of mine likes to point out. It was during the glory years of Switzer at OU. The hot doggers were the Selmon brothers who were dominant on defense and Barry had them out of the game. They were on the bench eating hot dogs in the 2nd half and I saw pictures of validation. Switzer always had cheap shot comments about going to Ames back in that era which were painfully true but drew big laffs at OU functions.

Reactions: Cypwr