MONDAY MUSINGS: What a weekend

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Did you not watch the last two years of Iowa State basketball or something?
Are you new to CF? Go back and look at the predictions for MT leading up to 2013. My comment wasn’t as much on MT’s career as the overly optimistic expectations for what type of player he was going to be, particularly early on.

People interpreted MT’s recruiting rankings as him being an (immediate) impact guy, not taking two years to develop into an honorable mention player. Determination of bust is always relative to expectations, and if you were one to expect Thomas to be more than honorable mention as an upperclassman the label isn’t far off. I never expected that, so I don’t share the bust opinion.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I do think FFC's statement is meant to reflect his first two years only rather than his last two years. I don't think anybody would consider Matt Thomas a bust for his Cyclone career. His improvement as a defensive player was one of the most spectacular transformations I've ever seen in ISU basketball.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've been thinking about it, and I think the key difference between Campbell and McCarney/Rhoads is that Campbell coaches based on a pretty regimented system, and the other guys seem to be more about emotion. Outside looking in, of course.

I think there’s a lot of truth to this. But, I have to laugh at those people who think he is emotionless out there. Watch him on the sidelines, he’s not rhoads out there. But he’s far from Kirk. Everyone wants to believe he is the polar opposite of rhoads.

I think the big difference is that he’s done it before. He was a head coach. And I think he learns from his mistakes.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Much of the Thomas being a bust postings were in the context of the expectations for Thomas based on his recruiting rankings. He clearly wasn’t a bust in the general sense, but for those that take recruiting rankings too seriously he was never the impact player many declared he would be back in 2012-13.

He may not have been a bust but he was very underwhelming regardless of rank. Despite getting good minutes he average 5.5 pts on 36% shooting with some pretty porous defense.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've been thinking about it, and I think the key difference between Campbell and McCarney/Rhoads is that Campbell coaches based on a pretty regimented system, and the other guys seem to be more about emotion. Outside looking in, of course.

There's been mention by players that they've had to work harder in practice under CMC...I don't know if it's their own revisionist history or what Rhoads was like, but it's interesting.

CMC at the moment excels at putting his best players in their best situations and gives them the real chance to make the play out of their own will.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Many Cyclone fans were expecting him to be the next Fred Hoiberg when he committed. In the end he was a great team player and a great Cyclone. He could have scored a lot more points if he had to, but he was on good enough teams that he was never forced to be the man.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He may not have been a bust but he was very underwhelming regardless of rank. Despite getting good minutes he average 5.5 pts on 36% shooting with some pretty porous defense.

Judging freshmen as busts is the past time of people who don't understand sports. When looking at his full career, his ranking was absolutely accurate and he was proven worthy of all the accolades.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
There's been mention by players that they've had to work harder in practice under CMC...I don't know if it's their own revisionist history or what Rhoads was like, but it's interesting.

CMC at the moment excels at putting his best players in their best situations and gives them the real chance to make the play out of their own will.

Just a guess, but maybe that's because the roster is deeper and more talented than it was under Rhoads. Guys can't coast just because the guys behind them can't play. It could be as simple as the front line guys getting pushed and forced to work harder by the backups, which is great. You want practices to be competitive and you want guys earning their place on the field.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Judging freshmen as busts is the past time of people who don't understand sports. When looking at his full career, his ranking was absolutely accurate and he was proven worthy of all the accolades.

It happens mostly in basketball. If a guy doesn't play much or at all his freshman year, there's always a handful of fans who want to help pack his bags so that scholarship can be used on "an impact guy".

Not everyone is ready to play right away. And not every school can be a one and done factory. You have to give some players time to develop.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Agreed. I bet if you ask most B12 fans, players and coaches from Matt's time, they would say without a doubt he played up to his ranking and expectations.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think there’s a lot of truth to this. But, I have to laugh at those people who think he is emotionless out there. Watch him on the sidelines, he’s not rhoads out there. But he’s far from Kirk. Everyone wants to believe he is the polar opposite of rhoads.

I think the big difference is that he’s done it before. He was a head coach. And I think he learns from his mistakes.

He's also used to winning a whole lot. That's huge. He knows what winning takes and that he can get his job done.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Matt Thomas made an incredible leap between his soph and junior year. He shot only 34% and 33% from three during his first 2 years. Those were Hoiberg's last 2 years. Maybe something clicked under Prohm. MT shot 43% and 45% from deep in his last 2 years. His rebounding and assists also went up.

I have seen big men improve, but I have never seen a guard improve as much in one season as MT did.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Is maxing out at Honorable Mention level as an upperclassman and being a wallflower as a freshman what many expect top-50/top-60 freshman?

I don’t think Thomas was a bust, but I never bought into his hype. He was a solid player as an upperclassman-a Big 12 quality starter for two years.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Matt Thomas made an incredible leap between his soph and junior year. He shot only 34% and 33% from three during his first 2 years. Those were Hoiberg's last 2 years. Maybe something clicked under Prohm. MT shot 43% and 45% from deep in his last 2 years. His rebounding and assists also went up.

I have seen big men improve, but I have never seen a guard improve as much in one season as MT did.

In our household, we always used to say f***ing Matt Thomas. :mad:

By the the end of his career we started saying Matt F***ing Thomas!!! :cool: