Lindenwood Open

Mar 12, 2014
lol just go ahead and say I told you so.
I'll own up to my 133 prediction. I was one of the fans saying Simmons over Parker. My call was due to the room results and Simmons beats Parker in the room but Parker is getting it down under the lights. I still think that Simmons is better, he just needs to figure it out outside of the room.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Seems some got either physically or mentally wore out by the end of the tourney. Not the fight out of some guys, but the competition was a lot tougher also

Did anyone (especially in the larger brackets) run up against the new match limit?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Not that I know of. They did divide some fresh/soph weights to A & B, so had 2 brackets

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I'll own up to my 133 prediction. I was one of the fans saying Simmons over Parker. My call was due to the room results and Simmons beats Parker in the room but Parker is getting it down under the lights. I still think that Simmons is better, he just needs to figure it out outside of the room.
I thought Parker won the wrestle off?

Jun 17, 2017
Not that I know of. They did divide some fresh/soph weights to A & B, so had 2 brackets

They did some of the brackets weird. Leisure won the 149B bracket and with no notice they made him wrestle the winner of bracket 149A. He won the match but it was never entered into trackwrestling. The winner of the 174 freshman third place match won by RULE. His opponent did have 6 matches going into the match.

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
Where did you get the intel that Simmons beats Parker in the room? All indications from the coaches in interviews has been that Parker works his butt off in practice. As to your opinion that Simmons is better, I guess you can look at the Cyclone Open and the Lindenwood Open to try and support that. Based on the common opponent from this past Saturday (Matthew Schmitt from WVU, who is ranked in at least one poll), Parker gets the edge based on a 4-3 gritty win versus Simmons basically quitting in a 9-2 loss.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Where did you get the intel that Simmons beats Parker in the room? All indications from the coaches in interviews has been that Parker works his butt off in practice. As to your opinion that Simmons is better, I guess you can look at the Cyclone Open and the Lindenwood Open to try and support that. Based on the common opponent from this past Saturday (Matthew Schmitt from WVU, who is ranked in at least one poll), Parker gets the edge based on a 4-3 gritty win versus Simmons basically quitting in a 9-2 loss.
Or what about Simmons losing to #9 rank guy by 1 while Parker LBF. Also, there is difference in being a better wrestler and being the hardest worker. Given that, Parker has won the job and I don’t think he will give it up. He works extremely hard and deserves it. I just wish Simmons would be more consistent and would have started the season better as he can be a very dynamic wrestler. Hopefully, they keep pushing each other to be better.

isufan2

Nov 15, 2014
Or what about Simmons losing to #9 rank guy by 1 while Parker LBF. Also, there is difference in being a better wrestler and being the hardest worker. Given that, Parker has won the job and I don’t think he will give it up. He works extremely hard and deserves it. I just wish Simmons would be more consistent and would have started the season better as he can be a very dynamic wrestler. Hopefully, they keep pushing each other to be better.
Next year gets even more interesting. I think Gomez will be a 133 pounder also. So 2 wrestlers will have to either go up or down. Good problem to have. Same with 141 & 149. 174 problem will be solved next year, Coleman,. Maybe some of these light weights can move to 184 & 197? Hopefully we will have the same log jam at those weighs soon.
GO Cyclones.

Mar 12, 2014

My Intel comes from knowing several wrestlers/family members on the team. I have no reason to think that my Intel isn't reliable. I clearly stated that Parker is getting the job done outside the room so your point is redundant. I understand why the coaches don't do wrestle offs in the room and in this case, it's benefiting Parker if I choose to believe my Intel, which I do. It's interesting that you choose to highlight the Schmitt match but not the Erneste match.

Like cywr89 mentioned in his comment, hardest worker and better wrestler are 2 different things.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
My Intel comes from knowing several wrestlers/family members on the team. I have no reason to think that my Intel isn't reliable. I clearly stated that Parker is getting the job done outside the room so your point is redundant. I understand why the coaches don't do wrestle offs in the room and in this case, it's benefiting Parker if I choose to believe my Intel, which I do. It's interesting that you choose to highlight the Schmitt match but not the Erneste match.

Like cywr89 mentioned in his comment, hardest worker and better wrestler are 2 different things.

Parker beat Wagner, Simmons lost in SV to Wagner.

Mar 12, 2014
Parker beat Wagner, Simmons lost in SV to Wagner.

Below is a list of common opponents.
Common Opponents for Ian Parker vs common opponents 4 - 2
Erneste, John 11/18/2017 L FALL :45
Erneste, John 12/3/2016 L FALL 3:38
Schmitt, Matthew 11/18/2017 W DEC 4-3
Jeffery, Alijah 11/4/2017 W DEC 6-1
Wagner, Jack 11/4/2017 W DEC 4-0
Eades, Darrin 11/13/2016 W FALL 4:21

Common Opponents for Simmons, Markus vs common opponents 3 - 3
Erneste, John 11/18/2017 L DEC 3-2
Schmitt, Matthew 11/18/2017 L DEC 9-2
Jeffery, Alijah 11/18/2017 W MD 10-0
Wagner, Jack 11/4/2017 L SV-1 7-5
Eades, Darrin 11/12/2017 W TF5 17-0 2:49
Eades, Darrin 1/30/2016 W TF5 16-0 1:15

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

I agree with the bolded part, but I also believe that better wrestler and most talented wrestler are two different things as well. Parker has better results with less D-1 mat time, so he's the guy for now. Simmons is solid depth and I'm sure will fill in admirably when asked to do so.

Side note: it's kind of nice to have two options at multiple weights that I'm confident could be national qualifiers (Parker/Simmons at 133, Degen/Rodriguez at 149). Looking forward to a few years when I can hopefully change "national qualifiers" to "All-Americans".

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Coming from someone (me) who said that Parker would start over Simmons and also Degen would start over Dante...I will say that I have seen/heard differently than you guys I suppose.

Also, yes, hardest worker doesn't = better wrestler...but also, more talented wrestler doesn't = better wrestler... So I guess we'll disagree on them being "better wrestlers"..

Also, not taking stock into the Erneste patch for Parker, he got caught in a spladle..I think the match would have went differently if that didn't happen.

Mar 12, 2014
Also, not taking stock into the Erneste patch for Parker, he got caught in a spladle..I think the match would have went differently if that didn't happen.

Caught Parker, interesting considering the spladle is part of his arsenol so he didn't catch him, if anything he baited him. I know of at least 3 matches that Parker has lost to Erneste, twice by pin and once by tf (freestyle). There maybe other results that i'm not aware of.

As far as better vs hardest worker, I think we all agree on those pionts along with talanted vs better wrestler.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Caught Parker, interesting considering the spladle is part of his arsenol so he didn't catch him, if anything he baited him. I know of at least 3 matches that Parker has lost to Erneste, twice by pin and once by tf (freestyle). There maybe other results that i'm not aware of.

As far as better vs hardest worker, I think we all agree on those pionts along with talanted vs better wrestler.
We'll see next time they wrestle. And tell yourself what you need to hear.

Mar 12, 2014
We'll see next time they wrestle. And tell yourself what you need to hear.

Tell myself what I need to hear when it comes to Erneste, what are you talking about. I've seen Erneste wrestle for years so I know what i'm talking about and I stated facts on their outcome. Can Parker beat him the next time they wrestle, of course but history doesn't support your view of future outcomes. Take your own advice.

• Funny
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron