Has anyone watched K-State?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I haven't seen them play this year. How do they look? Like the .500 team they are, or like a usual big, strong K-State team that will play us like they usually do?

KSUcat

Sep 27, 2009
We are an extremely inconsistent team. Like you guys, we are down to our third string QB but he has a higher ceiling and a better arm than the two guys that started the season in front of him. He looked great against Tech and OSU, but not very good against WVU.

We are going to be without one of our starting safeties and our best all around player, DJ Reed, at corner and kick returner. Our most reliable receiver broke his collarbone in the WVU game as well. We are very depleted across the board.

Our secondary is the weakest part of the team and we will be missing our two best players in that unit to make things work. I am expecting a close game but have no clue who will win.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Their TB is a straight-ahead/north-south runner who breaks tackles. 3rd string QB looked good versus OSU but was knocked out of game briefly in 2nd half. Passes are those RPO's they have always run & PA passes off their running game. Also continue to do those delayed QB runs to give them an extra blocker. Dimel @ FB being used more as offensive weapon. Gashed OSU on couple occasions.

D's strength is in front 7 as KSU fan alluded. They are gap-sound & fundamentally strong like most years. Punt/kick returner is a weapon.

So in short, they are what they usually are. Our key will be to stop the run to force the QB to make throws that are higher risk than what KSU usually likes. I so want this game.

Reactions: The_Architect

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
IMO, we're gonna have our hands full as they are built similarly to us and they have played good ball lately. They do a good job with blocking angles and Snyder is perfectly content taking those 3-4 yard gains all game long, unlike other coaches we've beaten. I think that's where the danger lies. In addition, they don't beat themselves, are fundamentally sound and are disciplined.

However, I like ISU in this matchup. KSU isn't as physically imposing as some other teams we've played so I think we can spend some time in their backfield. If we can get them into third and longs, I like our odds, despite their improved quarterback play.

I think we have a humongous advantage when we have the ball. Our receivers are a noticeably better than their CBs, especially with DJ Reed out (he's legitimately good). If they load the box to stop the run or the short passing game, we need to exploit 1v1s on the outside. We will win a majority of those battles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Well if history repeats itself, it doesn’t matter how good we are we’ll end up getting heart broken and losing by 6 or less

Campbell is a culture changer. Part of that is our guys expecting to win vs expecting something bad to happen (and expecting that if something bad happens, that they'll overcome it).

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
what's the deal with their QB? I saw the one who's been doing well for them left late in the 4th quarter with a leg injury.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Hopefully our scout team QB/GA can be difference in getting the defense ready for Saturday.

Even under Rhoads the game was rarely anything but an even matchup. I anticipate that to continue on Saturday. We’re well overdue.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW and bawbie

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is the QB that beat OSU going to play? He took a big hit at the end of the game and didn't come back.

In general all of their QBs seem to be "run-first, pass-second" type QBs, which we haven't really faced this year.

I do think, having watched them all just a little bit, that they are the type of QBs that aren't patient enough to take the underneath stuff all day, if we are able to stuff the run. Gap assignment and getting the reads right on the QB/RB option is going to be the key on defense.

On offense, I don't think Montgomery plays - and it seems like Warren isn't an option (?) - so I'm curious who is behind Croney? Do we have anyone else, assuming Gray is redshirting? If I were playing us I'd think hard about giving us our own medicine and dropping 8 - make us beat them with the run and force Noland to check down or thread the needle.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
KState tried the "fumble when you have the game won" play that we ran against them. Almost worked as good as ours did, too!

Could not believe they were running the ball with 1.5 min left. Would of thot Snyder remembered that game better... maybe he forgot about it already.

Major development last game was a bit of a forward passing attempt. Offense resolves around a Colin Klein type running game without a Colin Klein QB to run it. 75% of their plays are runs by RB or QB, until Okie State game. Pringle had a great game on Saturday, but has been non-existent all year. Major question is going to be if our offense can score 25+, because I don't see Kstate putting up more than 20 against us, as have been fairly resilient against stopping the run.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Have not seen them for a couple weeks but after Ertz went down a few weeks back, the young kid that came in had a huge flare for them.... True dual threat with a ton of speed...

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I can see their scrambling QB being a problem for us. Baylor's sure was. We might be using 4 man rush a little more.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Special teams are a real strength. I'd be surprised if Campbell kicks to them. And our field goal guy is one of the best in the country.

Defensive secondary has been a sieve. And K-State may be short both corner DJ Reid plus a captain/starting safety. Front 6 is ordinary.

Offense is inconsistent. Great against oSu though under the leadership of 3rd string QB, Skylar Thompson. He took a hit there but is fine.