*** Official Justice League Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
What a fun movie. Sets up each character well, then has great action and just enough comedy without being over the top. The story was good and tied everyone together. It was super seeing the DC characters together on the big screen.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Good to hear. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend or next. It's a big task to integrate new characters and still keep the plot flowing. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but the trailers make it out to be a fun ride.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Everything I've seen leads me to believe I will enjoy this one. Keep seeing review after review knocking it but that doesn't surprise or concern me. Not expecting it to be quite at Wonder Woman level but I'm pretty confident it won't be another Batman v. Superman or god forbid..........Suicide Squad (shudders) Really hope they keep the momentum from WW going because while I enjoy what Marvel puts out, I've always been a DC guy.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I liked it more than I thought I would. I'd say it doesn't quite hit the avengers standard, but it comes close.

The good:
The actors. All 6 hold their own and mesh very well. I am not a huge fan of the whole "Aquabro" characterization but it wasn't nearly as prevalent as the trailers would lead you to believe.

The tone: It struck the right balance between drama and comedy for me. Whedon didn't get a chance to go full Whedon on the movie and Snyder didn't get a chance to go full Snyder on it either. That's a good thing imho.

Superman is finally superman. They finally got the characterization right.

The bad:
The cgi was not as polished as it should have been. Cyborg and Steppenwolf were distracting throughout, and some of the action looked like mid 2000s rubber man action.

Non fleshed out villain/confusing motivation. I'm not hurting it too hard, because other than Zod or Loki all comic book movies are guilty of this, but it'd be nice for the villains reasoning/history be made clear.

Slamming aquaman/ the flash/ cyborg into the film with next to no introduction. The lack of set up films for all characters hurts the group dynamic of everyone being equals. I just found myself more interested in Batman, wonder woman and superman because of their past history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rural and Triggermv

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
We will get to this eventually. Not a huge DC or even comics guy, but the trailers looked really good. My concern is that 95% of the character development and dialogue is in the 4 minutes of trailer, and the rest of the movie will just be explosions and action sequences. That would be disappointing.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Everything I've seen leads me to believe I will enjoy this one. Keep seeing review after review knocking it but that doesn't surprise or concern me. Not expecting it to be quite at Wonder Woman level but I'm pretty confident it won't be another Batman v. Superman or god forbid..........Suicide Squad (shudders) Really hope they keep the momentum from WW going because while I enjoy what Marvel puts out, I've always been a DC guy.

We're to the point where you have to throw out reviews for these comic book movies. Marvel's brand development has been so masterful that people (even critics) go in with marketing opinions of a brand the way we all love the Cyclones here and hate the Jayhawks.

WW was as good as the good Marvel movies and reviewed that way. I challenge anyone to watch Thor 2, AntMan and Batman vs Superman and honestly tell me Thor 2 and AntMan are radically better...yet they were reviewed that way. BVS was 27/63 critics/audience. Antman was 82/86 (it's like a really bad straight to Netflix movie somehow got Academy Award buzz reviews). Thor 2 was 66/77 (I literally fell asleep).

I'm not saying BVS was some amazing thing, but if you went nuts wetting your pants over the worst bad Marvel movies and gave BVS a horrible review...like apparently at least 2/3 of critics did...you've been taken by a marketing scheme probably without even knowing it.

Ironically I grew up a Marvel comics fanboy kid slamming DC comics which is why I can probably see it so obviously now that I'm an adult.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I liked it more than I thought I would. I'd say it doesn't quite hit the avengers standard, but it comes close.

The good:
The actors. All 6 hold their own and mesh very well. I am not a huge fan of the whole "Aquabro" characterization but it wasn't nearly as prevalent as the trailers would lead you to believe.

The tone: It struck the right balance between drama and comedy for me. Whedon didn't get a chance to go full Whedon on the movie and Snyder didn't get a chance to go full Snyder on it either. That's a good thing imho.

Superman is finally superman. They finally got the characterization right.

The bad:
The cgi was not as polished as it should have been. Cyborg and Steppenwolf were distracting throughout, and some of the action looked like mid 2000s rubber man action.

Non fleshed out villain/confusing motivation. I'm not hurting it too hard, because other than Zod or Loki all comic book movies are guilty of this, but it'd be nice for the villains reasoning/history be made clear.

Slamming aquaman/ the flash/ cyborg into the film with next to no introduction. The lack of set up films for all characters hurts the group dynamic of everyone being equals. I just found myself more interested in Batman, wonder woman and superman because of their past history.

Interesting writeup.

I'm surprised they didn't just start out with Darkseid as the main villain. He's DC's equivalent to Thanos and was created by none other than Jack Kirby himself. Just the little hint of him in BVS was my favorite part.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
It was enjoyable, these villains are all feeling the same with their cgi, etc. I'm getting a bit tired of the marvel comedy act, it works for Guardians of the Galaxy, but I like some of the darker stuff that DC has done over the years. The dark mash with the jokes was okay in this movie, with so many characters they all feel a bit shallow on character development, but entertaining nonetheless.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I was pretty disappointed. I think it felt off the whole movie and the action got pretty age of ultron-ish. Again, I feel like they’d needed a movie or two with the new characters before hand so you could give a **** about them. It just felt artificial.
I guess seeing Thor last week, this movie felt like hot garbage imo.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I actually really liked Suicide Squad. Still don't understand all the hate.

• Disagree
Reactions: burn587

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Suicide squad was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in the theatre and I have a bias for this genre. Outside of Will Smith, the whole movie was a cringe fest

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
WW was as good as the good Marvel movies and reviewed that way. I challenge anyone to watch Thor 2, AntMan and Batman vs Superman and honestly tell me Thor 2 and AntMan are radically better...

I didn't finish BvS. I thought it was way too long, boring, etc. Never saw Thor 2. Ant-Man was a fun little movie. That makes it much better than BvS.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Suicide squad was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in the theatre and I have a bias for this genre. Outside of Will Smith, the whole movie was a cringe fest

Guess I'd like to hear why. I thought it was very close to what you'd see in a comic book or a super hero cartoon. Thought they pretty much nailed Harley Quinn. Liked the cameo with Joker and with Batman. Did not really care for that version of Killer Croc and Katana was lame, but those were about the only characters I didn't like. My main issue with it was that most of the bad guys were just faceless masses. But then if that's a huge problem, you shouldn't like Avengers 1 or 2. Or Justice League for that matter. I thought the action was good, story was good (at least it HAD a story vs instead of "intro to heros, band together, fight world invasion enemy"), character development was minimal, but if you were watching a cartoon or reading a comic, that's about what you get usually.

I'd been looking forward to seeing that in the theatres and it didn't disappoint me in the least. Guess I'm on my own there. Thought it was more fun than a lot of comic book movies that came out before or since.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I didn't finish BvS. I thought it was way too long, boring, etc. Never saw Thor 2. Ant-Man was a fun little movie. That makes it much better than BvS.

Me either on BvS. I've seen bits and pieces on tv, but never sat through the whole thing. Ant-Man was fun. Thor 3 was WAY better than Thor 2.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I did finish BvS because I went to the theaters to see it. Wonderwoman was the only good thing in the movie, and I thought Affleck was ok. Certainly not the worst to portray batman on the big screen. The rest of the movie just flat out sucks. I generally like Eisenberg but his portrayal of Lex Luthor is probably the worst villain I have ever seen in a movie. It's like someone crossed out Lex Luthor and wrote in Joker on his script. And the resolution of the horribly manufactured conflict between batman and superman was one of the mind numbingly dumbest moments in movie history. Honestly I could handle all of this if the movie didn't take itself so seriously. The humor is lacking and falls flat when it tries to be humorous.

Antman is fun but nothing special, but WAAAAAAYYY more entertaining than BvS.