Hawkeye Whine

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
So while you are here-

How is Hok Nation feeling about the looming B1G West showdown with the Legendary Huskers?

I mean, NU looks absolutely pathetic. Could be a devastating loss for Iowa, any chance that happens?
At this rate, I'd put money on it happening.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Yeah, KF is sitting pretty for now. Iowa won their Super Bowl against us, and pulled off one other big win (Ohio State).... that's all he needs to stick around and get extensions and more money.

I agree another big payday for kirkieboy...all those saps er ioa fans pay all that money to see a big 10 also ran program......

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
ISU played a really bad game defensively against Iowa. Worst of the season in fact. Add to that that Iowa had no turnovers and their WRs actually caught the ball you can see why ISU lost. Really looks like a big missed opportunity at this point.
I believe this is the game that got them to switch defensive schemes. Without it, they may have not made the change. Everything happens for a reason. No point in second guessing because an Iowa win might have meant a OU and/or TCU loss. Be happy with how these coaches and players have adjusted and improved in just two short years.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Why did you listen to that? For real why? You really have nothing better to do?
I was riding in the car and couldn't get the comedy channel on Sirius. After watching NU get #### pounded by an uninterested Penn State, I needed to complete a perfect day.

• Agree
Reactions: kbud

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I hate that perspective, because expectations are all about perspective. We’ve had a great year by all accounts, and if we lose next weekend we’ll be 7-5. EIU has had a horrible year by most accounts, and if they win next weekend, they’ll be...wait for it...7-5. Let’s slow our role before we start calling other programs meaningless. We’ve had one good season.

If you can't see how the teams are trending you are crazy. Iowa is trending down, hard. Especially after coming off a 12 win season not even 2 years ago. Iowa State is trending up and has a chance for their most conference wins in the history of the program going into next week and an outside shot (with a lot of help) of playing for the Big 12 championship,

Both teams are relatively meaningless on the national scene as far as playing for a NC, however one team (Iowa) thinks they are relevant nationally and they just aren't. The fans have Nebraska-like expectations but have never won a NC.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
There is more parody when teams have QBs & offensive schemes that can throw down field effectively. The Big 12 has had more of these teams due to their offenses. OSU & their QB must be able to dominate with their run game to have any effective passing & most teams they can bully & run well against so it sets up their passing very well. Iowa with its front 7 could stop OSU's running & force their QB to make pro-type throws versus their coverages, which OSU QB is not very good at. The saying is more used in basketball, but it's all about matchups.

The large variable is Iowa's offense. Against ISU they were willing to pass to all levels & utilize TE's & RB's effectively in the passing game. Maybe the same for OSU too? (Didn't watch that 1) For the most part, I dont think they were committed this season to that & stubbornly try to run into the teeth of 8+ man fronts from opposing D's all the time.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Honestly, I would've been shocked for you guys to lose to NU, but then again, I felt the same way about Purdue.

I don't watch a ton of Iowa FB, but it looked to me like Purdue, at least at the end of the game was totally dominating both LOS, which for Iowa is pretty shocking. Generally it is the lack of skill players and play calling that holds Iowa back in games. NU could be a real battle despite their abysmal performance so far.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
This is well said. The team isn't bad, but the coaching is. I've been off the KF bandwagon for years. 2015 was great, but could have ended differently with a better coach.

Hiring Brian was about the only thing worse than keeping Greg Davis on. The play calling has been nothing short of horrible. Obviously to cream all over tOSU shows that the talent is there, but the Purdue loss shows the weakness on coaching.
Absolutely awful logic. Staggering to read this pos post.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't watch a ton of Iowa FB, but it looked to me like Purdue, at least at the end of the game was totally dominating both LOS, which for Iowa is pretty shocking. Generally it is the lack of skill players and play calling that holds Iowa back in games. NU could be a real battle despite their abysmal performance so far.

Iowa's offensive and defensive lines are terrible. We're definitely stronger in the trenches than them

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Purdue recorded 6 sacks IIRC. That's pretty nuts.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Replace the iowa loss with a win against Northern Illinois and you are a top 15 team and the Matt Campbell and ISU hype train still has at least a little momentum.

Dump the iowa game. The only upside is bragging rights when your program is down.

Pardon the self-quote but, how can anyone say that the iowa game instead of a guaranteed win is the best thing for the ISU program? I understand that it may be the best thing for some fans, but a guaranteed W and better bowl and more exposure brings in better recruits and results in better things for the program as a whole.

And for the group that will say it's about the attendance of a game that happens every 2 years, put a 10-2, 11-1 or 12-0 team on the field and people will be getting turned away no matter who is playing. Conference championships and CFP's would make me forget about the iowa game pretty quickly.

Also, it would drive hawk fans crazy, so there's that.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Pardon the self-quote but, how can anyone say that the iowa game instead of a guaranteed win is the best thing for the ISU program? I understand that it may be the best thing for some fans, but a guaranteed W and better bowl and more exposure brings in better recruits and results in better things for the program as a whole.

And for the group that will say it's about the attendance of a game that happens every 2 years, put a 10-2, 11-1 or 12-0 team on the field and people will be getting turned away no matter who is playing. Conference championships and CFP's would make me forget about the iowa game pretty quickly.

Also, it would drive hawk fans crazy, so there's that.

We lose to UNI sometimes. Slow your roll.

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf
I totally agree that I would rather have those conference wins, but if we are looking back at the season for games that the Clones absolutely blew, the Iowa game was it. It was basically a bad loss. WV, TX and OSU are all good teams that ISU could not quite make a play or two the win. The Iowa game ISU screwed up multiple times to lose.

We were an Iowa offensive PI (that wasn't called) away from a likely win. That said, I’d rather the refs make the right call on the dual-possession against OSU.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There is more parody when teams have QBs & offensive schemes that can throw down field effectively. The Big 12 has had more of these teams due to their offenses. OSU & their QB must be able to dominate with their run game to have any effective passing & most teams they can bully & run well against so it sets up their passing very well. Iowa with its front 7 could stop OSU's running & force their QB to make pro-type throws versus their coverages, which OSU QB is not very good at. The saying is more used in basketball, but it's all about matchups.

The large variable is Iowa's offense. Against ISU they were willing to pass to all levels & utilize TE's & RB's effectively in the passing game. Maybe the same for OSU too? (Didn't watch that 1) For the most part, I dont think they were committed this season to that & stubbornly try to run into the teeth of 8+ man fronts from opposing D's all the time.
They Cyhawk game offensive outburst was mostly due to both defenses being built to defend vey different offenses. Didn't help that Iowas favorite weapons in the passing game (TE and RB) took advantage of weakness at the time, which was LBs in coverage. At first I thought Brain maybe just called a great game. Looks like it was a fluke.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron