Hawkeye Whine

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Among the usual responses from the WHO post game with Jon and Travis, one caller said it was the plan to lose so that Iowa could move down in the bowl order. They would then get an easier opponent and possibly win, or not get blown out. Doesn't Ferentz get a bonus for a bowl win? or maybe a contract extension?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Can't believe we lost to these guys. If we pull that game out they would fighting just to make a bowl next week.

ISU played a really bad game defensively against Iowa. Worst of the season in fact. Add to that that Iowa had no turnovers and their WRs actually caught the ball you can see why ISU lost. Really looks like a big missed opportunity at this point.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
ISU played a really bad game defensively against Iowa. Worst of the season in fact. Add to that that Iowa had no turnovers and their WRs actually caught the ball you can see why ISU lost. Really looks like a big missed opportunity at this point.

I hate losing to Iowa as much as anybody, if not more. But out of our losses, that’s the last one I’d care to change. They’ve really become a meaningless program.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
He meets his contract full buyout with 7 wins a year, gets a big bonus with 8. At least if I remember correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Can't believe we lost to these guys. If we pull that game out they would fighting just to make a bowl next week.

Replace the iowa loss with a win against Northern Illinois and you are a top 15 team and the Matt Campbell and ISU hype train still has at least a little momentum.

Dump the iowa game. The only upside is bragging rights when your program is down.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
10 point lead under 6 mins and Park throws pick inside our 20, 427 missed tackles and 3 full-extension diving touchdowns by IA receivers (haven't seen that effort since). Plus Lanning was still getting his feet wet. Looked a bit lost that game.

Kirk continues to laugh all the way to the bank.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Possibly the most sickening part.

Yeah, KF is sitting pretty for now. Iowa won their Super Bowl against us, and pulled off one other big win (Ohio State).... that's all he needs to stick around and get extensions and more money.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I hate losing to Iowa as much as anybody, if not more. But out of our losses, that’s the last one I’d care to change. They’ve really become a meaningless program.

I hate that perspective, because expectations are all about perspective. We’ve had a great year by all accounts, and if we lose next weekend we’ll be 7-5. EIU has had a horrible year by most accounts, and if they win next weekend, they’ll be...wait for it...7-5. Let’s slow our role before we start calling other programs meaningless. We’ve had one good season.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I hate that perspective, because expectations are all about perspective. We’ve had a great year by all accounts, and if we lose next weekend we’ll be 7-5. EIU has had a horrible year by most accounts, and if they win next weekend, they’ll be...wait for it...7-5. Let’s slow our role before we start calling other programs meaningless. We’ve had one good season.
While I agree a bit, how many of their wins are against top 25 teams? They play in the big ten Mac division that only has one ranked team.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Hawkeye football program us going to the dumps. The ferents family is very stubborn. It's almost surreal.

Reactions: cyfan21

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

I also agree to a certain extent. It certainly felt like things were changing in 2000 when we won 9 games and they missed making a bowl game.

On the other hand with this coaching staff, if things stay largely intact, it DOES feel more like the worm is turning.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

They are not very good this year, and that is why the loss stings so much. ISU just plain choked. They are far from a meaningless program just because of their history and the super soft schedule that they seem to always have.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Sickening? It’s AWESOME! Most overpaid yet underperforming coach in the region! It’s the funniest thing I continue to see each year! And the Halks are stuck with him.

Is the precedent set of paying him big buck$ in any way going to making giving Campbell a raise easier? How involved are the BOR in setting and/or approving coach contracts?