Insurance Question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
So last week during the Okie State game one of our tailgate tents was grabbed by the wind before staking down and scratched the truck parked next to us. Does my auto insurance cover this damage as the estimate I received was considerably higher than what we originally thought it would be.

Thanks!

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
So last week during the Okie State game one of our tailgate tents was grabbed by the wind before staking down and scratched the truck parked next to us. Does my auto insurance cover this damage as the estimate I received was considerably higher than what we originally thought it would be.

Thanks!
Estimate is always is higher than you think it will be.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
As Iowa licensed P&C Agent I would say the other guys comp coverage should cover it. If he doesn't have comp, that sucks for him.

Pretty much this, he would have to sue you to get money if he does not have comp. I would offer him some cash to help defray the cost, but this is why I bring my old car to tailgates and not the new one.

• Creative
Reactions: aauummm

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
It wouldn't be your auto coverage. If anything it would be your home owners. If your car hit his then the auto line would be primary. In this case his comp coverage would be in play similar to a softball or baseball hitting the windshield

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
It wouldn't be your auto coverage. If anything it would be your home owners. If your car hit his then the auto line would be primary. In this case his comp coverage would be in play similar to a softball or baseball hitting the windshield
This. Would absolutely not be your auto insurance. If anything would be under your general liability of your homeowner policy. As some others have said, his comp -- if he has it -- should cover it. But he and/or his insurance company can come after you for it.

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls

I would agree with this but, a homeowners claim is for big stuff. To file a HO claim for scratch wouldn't be in your best interest. If you really wanted to help, you could offer to help cover the guys deductible.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfan4good

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I would agree with this but, a homeowners claim is for big stuff. To file a HO claim for scratch wouldn't be in your best interest. If you really wanted to help, you could offer to help cover the guys deductible.
You could do that. But if the insurance company finds out the real story -- if the other party hasn't already told them -- they can and very well may come after him for the whole amount.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Don’t offer any money!

As stated, this is not going to be covered by your auto insurance. IF it is covered, it will be by your homeowners insurance and only if it is determined if you are liable for the damages.

I would offer the other guy your contact information and tell him to make a claim to his own auto insurance company. They can decide how they want to proceed.

If they want to pursue money from you, give them your homeowners insurance contact information and let the insurance companies figure it out. This is why you pay those premiums, make your insurance company earn it.

My guess is his auto insurance company won’t pursue you. They’ll cover it under his comprehensive coverage. But the other guy will be out his deductible. If you want to slip him some money, that’s up to you.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Home would cover it and it’s not an act of god. That would be like a tree of yours falling on the car. This was preventable so it’s not an act of god. Even though it might seem not preventable in your eyes. It will be by the insurance company

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
First of all, were you negligent? The answer is yes. You failed to hold on to your tent in windy conditions. So you do owe the guy for his damages. The other guy did NOTHING wrong, correct? Secondly, your liability coverage under your Homeowners policy will pay for this. As others have said, the other guy's insurance would also cover him under his automobile policy Comp coverage. But he would have a deductible and it is not right to make him pay anything or even to have a claim against his own insurance when this was your fault.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
First of all, were you negligent? The answer is yes. You failed to hold on to your tent in windy conditions. So you do owe the guy for his damages. The other guy did NOTHING wrong, correct? Secondly, your liability coverage under your Homeowners policy will pay for this. As others have said, the other guy's insurance would also cover him under his automobile policy Comp coverage. But he would have a deductible and it is not right to make him pay anything or even to have a claim against his own insurance when this was your fault.
I don’t think we have enough info to say negligence. It could have been but if they were still setting up I think that is really just an act of god situation.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Not sure how big the scratch is but I'd think twice about filing a claim that small as your rates will surely go up. I run high deductibles on everything, pay less premiums and try never to file a claim under $2000.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I don’t think we have enough info to say negligence. It could have been but if they were still setting up I think that is really just an act of god situation.

Really? I did this for a living for 30 years, but I guess you know better.

Here is an Act of God: a tornado tears the roof off my house and it lands on your car. THAT is an Act of God, as they call it. In that case I truly did nothing wrong. I do not owe you for your car because I did nothing wrong, it was an unforeseen and unpreventable occurrence. The same cannot be said about the tailgate tent. Put yourself in the shoes of the owner of the car. So if your parked car gets damaged by someone else's tent, you would just say, oh well, not your fault, just the wind. I think not.

• Agree
Reactions: IcSyU and Macloney

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Really? I did this for a living for 30 years, but I guess you know better.

Here is an Act of God: a tornado tears the roof off my house and it lands on your car. THAT is an Act of God, as they call it. In that case I truly did nothing wrong. I do not owe you for your car because I did nothing wrong, it was an unforeseen and unpreventable occurrence. The same cannot be said about the tailgate tent. Put yourself in the shoes of the owner of the car. So if your parked car gets damaged by someone else's tent, you would just say, oh well, not your fault, just the wind. I think not.
The question is were they negligent. We need more information. If they had people holding it while trying to tie it down then I don’t get how you can say it was negligence. I’m not saying it wasn’t but we’d need to see more information. If the insurance agency actually wanted to go after him in court I don’t think they’d win. With the current info. Actually with just the information we have I know they’d lose.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
after hours and figured I'd check with the experts on all topics...aka cyclonefanatic!
You don't have his cell number? Honestly. Time to get better service.

Now reading the rest of the he responses. I can't believe the jackwagons here. He did something to damage someone else's vehicle, the other guy did nothing. Be decent people folks! I have a feeling there are several people here who run when they damage a parked car.

Last edited: