Will a win next week put us in the Championship?

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I honestly want to know. I heard if the win today and next week and have teams win or loose that are also on the upper part of the standings ISU is in. Is that true?

• Funny
Reactions: ComCY

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Okie state plays Kansas. So they will win, meaning they'll be tied with us. Texas could be tied. And TCU could be tied (if baylor wins). Not sure but I think we're technically still alive. Doesn't help us that we'd have lost to two of those three teams.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Stole this from Twitter, but it would take:

1. ISU>KSU
2. OU>WVU
3. TTU>UT
4. BU>TCU

The first three don't seem that crazy, but it would just take a miracle in Fort Worth.
You can replace 2 or 3 with KU > OSU and that would work also I think.

• Informative
Reactions: exCYtement

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
reposting this from the GameDay thread

first tiebreaker is head to head against all the other teams with the same record.

ISU, TCU, and WVU are 1-1 against each other,
ISU, TCU, and OSU are 1-1,
ISU, TCU, and Texas are 1-1

In all those scenarios, ISU would win the 2nd tiebreaker, which is record against teams top to bottom due to the win over Oklahoma.

In cases of 4 teams, ISU loses the first tiebreaker because ISU has lost to WVU, OSU, and Texas, ISU would be 1-2.

Tiebreakers are here: http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1546006

ISU gets to the title game with a win over Kansas St.,
Baylor must beat TCU,
and 2 or 3 of the following 3 lose next week: WVU @ Oklahoma, Texas vs. Tech, and Okie St. vs. Kansas.

Last edited:

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Pretty damn remarkable that we can talk about this, this year, with one game to go. Win next week and we’re at worst tied for third (assuming OSU loses today).
And that will make a huge difference in our bowl game. IMO please keep us out of Houston...

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland
Oklahoma is in, regardless.

If TCU wins, they're the second team in.

If TCU loses to Baylor and KSU beats ISU, TCU's still in.

If Baylor and ISU both win, then:

* IF OSU/WV win, TCU's in.
* IF OSU/OU/Texas win, TCU's in.
* If Kansas/WV/Texas win, TCU's in.

* IF OSU/OU/Tech win, ISU's in.
* If Kansas/OU win, ISU's in.

* If Kansas/WV/Tech win, WV's in.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

ISU, Baylor, and OU must win.

Then one of the following below must happen:
KU and Tech win OR
KU and Texas win OR
OSU and Tech win

OSU and Texas are eliminated.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
mental health tip: don’t look too hard at scenarios had we won nail biter vs ok state

Driving the ball with a TD giving us the win at West Vag is the one that fogs my mind.
I know, it ain't healthy to dwell on what if's, but what if? A playoff game with OU! Damn!

• Agree
Reactions: Blandboy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Probably a .5% chance of everything falling the way it would need to fall for us to still make it in. That's without adding the 'Iowa State Factor' which the graph clearly shows tends towards negative infinity.

Help Support Us

Become a patron