*** Official Tulsa Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
The comparison game is not good at all right now. Nebraska got destroyed by someone the other day, then Mizzou got destroyed by someone after they leveled us, then Milwaukee loses to just a horrible team, and App State gets destroyed too yesterday.

So there's no sense in looking back at this point. Just keep winning games somehow and improve each and every game, and let the chips fall where they may.

My quick assessment thus far.... NWB and Jackson are the stars of this team obviously. Nobody else has consistently shown the ability to score, outside of maybe Wigginton.

Solo and Lard are more than capable interior guys for us, but they have to find a way to quit committing so many dumb fouls so they can stay on the court.

High school kids coming into their first year of college have no idea how to play defense at the college level because they didn't play defense in high school. Wigginton and Lewis have a ways to go defensively. Wigginton falls for nearly every pump fake and leaves his feet. Just horrible defensive fundamentals because it was likely never taught in high school. You get scholarship offers for scoring a ton in high school..... not for playing great defense.

I think it will be fun watching this team grow through the year, but the NIT might be the ceiling for this group, and would probably be a very good year for them if they were to make it to the NIT.

Call me crazy, but I certainly wouldn't rule out Iowa State being one of those bubble teams in the big dance. Time will tell.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cydkar and Cyclad

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Call me crazy, but I certainly wouldn't rule out Iowa State being one of those bubble teams in the big dance. Time will tell.
I think Brase and Lard are big difference makers. We had no chance against Mizzou with those guys out and I thought the rest of the team did well to pull within 8 in the 2nd half. We still aren't all that big even with those guys.

I like Beverly a lot. He really wanted to play for ISU, and he reminds me a little bit of a poor man's Dustin Hogue. He gives us some hustle plays and seems to enjoy being out there. I wish he had Hogue's touch beyond the arc.

An NCAA bid still seems like a long shot to me. We need Brase to stay healthy as he can stretch the defenses. They have already figured out that they can leave Talley and Beverly open on the threes.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Thank God we avoided a scary sight with Lard clutching his right leg at the end of the first half. We definitely need him!

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012

Loved the improvement and happy for the guys bouncing back to win the tournament. Big12 competition will be here before we know it , that's the problem.