Baker Mayfield

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
"....Kansas has really made quarterback Baker Mayfield unhappy. After Oklahoma scored a touchdown to go up 28-3 in the third quarter Saturday, Mayfield took off his helmet, grabbed his groin and shouted “[expletive] you” across the field..The animosity between Mayfield and Kansas got off to an early start when Kansas players didn’t shake Mayfield’s hand at the pregame coin toss. The lack of reciprocation caused Mayfield to mock clap in front of the Jayhawks..."

7dbcc0b83a269bb2325460098b0afdf8

love it

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
By grabbing your crotch and yelling across the field at the opponent?

Is this what it's come to? People appreciating this kind of behavior?

I think if he was black he would be more hated. Sorry if you didn’t want this to go to the cave. And I’m not calling anybody a racist.

• Agree
Reactions: runbikeswim and jsb

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If it’s a douchebag fan base that only cares about 1 sport and then their captains don’t shake hands?

Yes

Can't agree on the crotch grabbing.

Maybe talk some trash after a big play but if you're the face of a football program and Heisman candidate it looks way worse than a non-handshake. Takes about the maturity of a 7th grader and same for someone who applauds it.

If one of ISU's players did something that egregious I'd hope they'd get pulled and fans wouldn't condone it.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Isn't part of winning the hiesman being likeable?

Technically, I don't think so. Realistically? There's so much subjectivity in all of these CFB awards that someone can (and might) dock him in their voting thought process because of his behavior. From heisman.com:
The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. The winners of the trophy epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work. The Heisman Trophy Trust's mission is to ensure the continuation and integrity of this award.

and, as our own Jeff Woody said tonight on Twitter:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
When you’re a young superstar like he is, you’re gonna get people to try and get into your head. I didn’t like it.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I like Baker a lot. His fire and his game. However, this was over the top stuff by a youngster who doesn't have the kind of coach who he knows doesn't allow it. This is not only Baker, it's Riley.

Riley needs to win out. I suspect this program will be troubled as Bob Stoops wears off.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
When you’re a young superstar like he is, you’re gonna get people to try and get into your head. I didn’t like it.

It clearly doesn't effect his play though, so what's the harm? If anything it makes him play better. He played with that same attitude against Ohio State and tore them apart. He played more poised and calm against us and they lost.

Reactions: Doc