*** Official Tulsa Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Milwaukee losing by 20 to a D/2 school yikes

There's really no reason to play the comparison game this year. I think most of us realize that this is not an NCAA team. We are going to lose to plenty of teams that are no good. No need to dwell on it.

Reactions: isutrevman

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Very good so far, 8/15, so he may already be there. I’d buy it, but I’m sure many will want a bigger sample.

Yeah, well, the thing is we only have the most recent sample. He's confident and he's hitting them. He's probably not going to go for 50% this year but there's zero reason to think he won't be effective from there.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Observations on playing time tonight: Wigginton only played 18 minutes and was not in during crunch time; Jakolby Long WAS in during 2nd half crunch time and played 18 minutes ... No PT for Lewis tonight ... NWB has played every minute so far in this tournament. I wonder if ther is a relationship between the 2nd half lulls in the 2 tourney games with him not getting a break ... Brase played 18 tonight, including crunch time in the 2nd half. I thought he might play less than that but foul trouble with Lard and Solo may have impacted.

ISU needed NWB every freaking minute he was all over the court on defense getting stuff done. He's got tomorrow to rest up.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
There's really no reason to play the comparison game this year. I think most of us realize that this is not an NCAA team. We are going to lose to plenty of teams that are no good. No need to dwell on it.
Exactly. If we can just keep improving, I will be happy. I’m happy with how things have progressed in just 2 games...We are better than Wake Forest at least. Will enjoy seeing Danny Manning fail there.

Reactions: cyfamily

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, well, the thing is we only have the most recent sample. He's confident and he's hitting them. He's probably not going to go for 50% this year but there's zero reason to think he won't be effective from there.
I agree, and I think he will have a good 3P shot this year. He was at 31% on a small sample last year, and imo there were indications it would increase this year. What’s a “good” 3P shot is debatable, but in my earlier comment I was alluding to 38% or better. If he’s hitting 40% from out there, well, it’s a game changer.

It’s apparent he played some pg in high school imo. We’ll see if it continues, but he’s not just a stop-gap.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Really liked what I saw out of Long. Hope he can continue to improve. I was skeptical like many which was unfair since we hadn't seen him play. Saw a little Chris Babb in him tonight.

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
I want to share a quick story. My 4-year-old daughter and I are at the tournament and having a blast. Last night, she got to high-five most of the players coming off the court and thought it was really cool, so I set her up for it again at halftime tonight. She didn't really get out far enough, and she forgot to stick her arm out, so most of the players ran right by - no big deal. BUT, Cameron Lard saw her and went around a manager to give her a five. As others have mentioned, I like the attitude and toughness he brings to the court, but I was also impressed that he would go out of his way to make a little girl feel special. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Cyclone uniform for a while.

Oh, and at the end of the game, I coached her up a little better, and she got just about everyone again :).

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
I think prohm is overly loyal to some of the 5th year transfers he gets. Hopefully he figures out the bench players faster than he did with Holden and Bowie not a knock on them just started way to long because of the SR status.

I tend to agree, but I have to wonder if there's a recruiting angle to that loyalty too. Maybe giving them a long leash will help in getting future grad transfers? If a coach were to get a reputation for taking grad transfers and never playing them, who would want to waste their last year of eligibility there? I think he needs to at least give them a chance to earn playing time, and in the early part of the season, their experience and leadership can help a young team anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Milwaukee just lost to a team that won 6 games in division two last year....... damn that loss just keeps hurting.

Not really. There’s no need to dwell on losses this year. We won’t be fighting for seeding. I’m going to say it all year but we need to enjoy the wins, ignore the losses and know next year will be better.

• Winner

LACyclone

Mar 16, 2012
Beverly Hills, CA
There are positives about every player we've seen. They all bring something very different to the table.

I have to keep reminding myself that Lard is only a Freshman. It's going to be fun watching him for 4 years.

I like Beverly. I can see that he badly wants to contribute. I have a feeling he'll play a big role in a couple of surprising wins this season.

Great to see Jakolby gain tons of confidence.

NWB has got to be one of the fastest players I've ever seen. He seemed to keep popping up out of nowhere. He's like a 400 meter runner. Speed and strength.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
What a amazing job CSP has done so far. The first two games we looked like a 7th grade girls B team. We had no idea what we were doing. We still have a lot of room for improvement, but these Cyclones have been really fun to watch the last two games. No doubt we will have some bad games, but I am really looking forward to the improvement these guys show over the season. CSP could have had a attitude disaster on his hands after the Milwaukee game, but instead every one of these guys have stepped up. Competition for minutes is going to be great with this team, it is important these guys keep working or they may loose minutes. That is what drives improvement.