Friday OT #2 - We Don't Need No Education

kevdiv48

Apr 21, 2011
Houston
More so this. We have advisory meetings where we invite business men and women from the community to give input and some guy suggested we drop keyboarding all together. "Everything will be automated or text to speech. Plus I can do everything on my phone." I laughed audibly and I think I upset him. My wife is a CPA and there is no way should could do her job without a keyboard. It would waste so much time trying to type up a report on a phone or text to speech and I think it's incredible people don't value the skill of being able to type proficiently and with speed.

Interesting, I thought around the time I learned to type proficiently without looking (2007ish) it was a skill that was already highly valued, if not necessary. Guess the trend hasn't picked up as fast as some of the tech advances that involve a keyboard.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
No fault on anyone's part but mine;

Left high school having taken typing (on a typewriter). Spent four years in the military not touching a computer (no computers in my rifle platoon). Showed up to Ames not knowing how to start, stop, save, print, let alone draft/design on a ****ing computer. That first semester was stressful...

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
My college roommate from Story City had his mother write his college papers because he didn't know how to write a report. He would give her his class notes, the report requirements, and she would write the damn thing for him.
Wow, how hard is it to write a simple report? I wonder how he's doing in life
Really? I figure with all of the devices these days the kids would be able to type at an earlier age than HS. Or maybe they're just able to type with their thumbs on a phone or tablet.
I'm pretty bad at typing. They made us take a type course in middle school but as long as you could type 30 words per minute with 1 error you could pass, which is pretty easy.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No fault on anyone's part but mine;

Left high school having taken typing (on a typewriter). Spent four years in the military not touching a computer (no computers in my rifle platoon). Showed up to Ames not knowing how to start, stop, save, print, let alone draft/design on a ****ing computer. That first semester was stressful...

I didn't own a computer until my final undergrad semester.
Did everything on a word processing typewriter.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Some missing elements I can remember are examples of education methods that didn't transfer well into "recent times," or were specific useful skills that have become obsolete.

Penmanship and cursive writing have been mentioned, but in fairness, nobody at the time could've guessed writing "longhand" would become a secondary written-communication tactic.

Thing is, I kicked *** at "writing," both printing and cursive. I followed the rules, learned as instructed and got excellent grades. Today, my only use of cursive is my signature, and I was never taught how to do it effectively in a 3-by-5-centimeter box to verify my identity when I make a purchase with a credit card.

Public school failed me.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think even just good study skills were not taught very well to me prior to college.

I noticed my freshman year how my floor mates seemed to be so much more focused in learned strategies for group or individual studies.

Otherwise I had plenty of teachers and professors that didn't create much of a learning culture outside of lecturing and testing without true application.

Things that I wish were focus points for more real life stuff: finances, taxes, employment, nutrition/diet/exercise.

Reactions: skibumspe

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I didn't own a computer until my final undergrad semester.
Did everything on a word processing typewriter.

At least you never had your hard drive crash 3 weeks before then of the Semester as a student taking ed and curriculum instruction classes. Holy **** the amount of papers I had to rewrite. Some were on partially on stick drives. I purchased an external after that which was more than cheap. Cloud was something I thought was in the sky when that happened.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
At least you never had your hard drive crash 3 weeks before then of the Semester as a student taking ed and curriculum instruction classes. Holy **** the amount of papers I had to rewrite. Some were on partially on stick drives. I purchased an external after that which was more than cheap. Cloud was something I thought was in the sky when that happened.

True.
I did have my dissertation backup system collapse once already.
I had 3 layers of backups, and 2 just suddenly vanished. I guess my laptop's drive and one of my cloud drives felt it would be fun to delete random files.

So now the system goes 10 layers deep, including various paper copies that are never in the same building, just in case. My adviser keeps a copy, too, I believe.

Reactions: khardbored

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
True.
I did have my dissertation backup system collapse once already.
I had 3 layers of backups, and 2 just suddenly vanished. I guess my laptop's drive and one of my cloud drives felt it would be fun to delete random files.

So now the system goes 10 layers deep, including various paper copies that are never in the same building, just in case. My adviser keeps a copy, too, I believe.

I legit thought about just taking an L for the semester. Thank God for Moms, Advisors, and cheap 30 packs. I powered through and kept around my 3.0, but my Heavens the 48 hours after that happened were like I was walking through a bad dream.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I legit thought about just taking an L for the semester. Thank God for Moms, Advisors, and cheap 30 packs. I powered through and kept around my 3.0, but my Heavens the 48 hours after that happened were like I was walking through a bad dream.

One of my profs tells me about a colleague of hers from her dissertation days. He was from India, and raised a slew of funds to get back to India to do research.

As a poor grad student, the place he had available to store his sources was his cubicle in their T.A. office. He had massive stacks of paper, some on the floor. One night, a janitor saw the pile and threw it all out.

Guy never could finish his PhD, because he couldn't get the funds to go do all that again.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
One of my profs tells me about a colleague of hers from her dissertation days. He was from India, and raised a slew of funds to get back to India to do research.

As a poor grad student, the place he had available to store his sources was his cubicle in their T.A. office. He had massive stacks of paper, some on the floor. One night, a janitor saw the pile and threw it all out.

Guy never could finish his PhD, because he couldn't get the funds to go do all that again.

I would probably be questioned by police for a questionable disappearance.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Sorry, this really has nothing to do with the original question here, but honestly, I'm starting to believe those theorists who say that we live in nothing more than a computer simulation. I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, I have been for most of my life. I don't see or hear a lot of "The Wall" references thrown out much anymore, that I'm not specifically seeking out. Jsut saying that because being a big fan, my day is usually filled with one PF song or two at the least and I'm pretty up on their lyrics.

But over the last three days, it's been strange. My kids, out of the blue, asked me to Put the Wall on their phones, they love that song, "We don't need no education." I heard a couple other references at the grocery store on Wednesday, but the strangest was at my daughter's volleyball game last night when I went to get a bottle of water and two volunteers, elderly gentlemen, were talking about something I didn't hear the start of, but both started with, "What was it again?" Then both sang, "We don't need no education. We don't need no thought control." Then started laughing.

So yeah, I see this thread title and think, "What the hell is going on?" I picture some nerdy kid, sitting at his computer, with his headphones on, listening to The Wall and then deciding to go ahead and interject it into his game. I haven't heard those lines spoken out loud, by the general public, in years, but the song has constantly been in my head now for the last 3 days.

I actually suggested the thread title to Angie when I contacted her with the idea. I was a Junior or Senior at ISU when The Wall came out. Roommate had it and played it a lot. Also that song was pretty heavy rotation even on top 40 radio at the time. "How can you have any pudding when you don't eat your meat?" Along with the we don't need no education line - Those are the only two lines I remember on the whole album almost 40 years later.

Reactions: cyclones500

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I went to school when a brontosaurus was a real dinosaur. Later it was discovered that it had the wrong head.

That was weird when brontosaurus went away. Ever since, I've always wondered what kind of burger Fred Flintstone was actually eating.

MIND FREAKING BLOWN. I graduated in 2002 and still have never heard of this, I had to just now research it.

What is Little Foot then!

Fear not. All is good again:

https://www.popsci.com/scientists-decide-its-time-bring-back-brontosaurus

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Thanks to @MeanDean for this one! As he explained, I'll ask the question at a high level, and then give an example to demonstrate what it means.

Educational gaps. These are topics or possibly even subjects that your educational system failed to cover during your elementary, Junior High and High School years.

Due to some oddities in our math teacher lineup and me being a year ahead of my classmates in math, our geometry teacher was just the shop teacher learning as he went for one year. As such, I never learned trig that year.

We never learned how to balance checkbooks, which I feel is a basic skill we should have learned.

What have you got?

Due to a last minute teacher defection I had an English teacher teaching 8th grade math...I'm not sure she could add four 3 digit numbers together without a calculator. Needless to say it sat us all back.

As for checkbooks comment. It's THE BIGGEST failure of all levels of schools...not teaching finance to ALL students. Balancing checkbooks, simple interest, mortgages, car loans....

EVERY SINGLE PERSON WILL DEAL WITH MONEY IN THEIR LIVES.

We require sociology, psychology, library 101, and countless other crap I've never used after school. Why are we NOT requiring fiance classes????

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
All the talk of needing to teach some kind of basic personal finance reminded me of a story.

About 8-10 years ago I worked at a bank. A young man, early 20's, comes in and opens his first checking account, gets a checkbook and a debit card. He had a job, so had a decent amount of money to deposit, maybe $800 or so.

A few days later he comes back in, he had several overdrafts. He told the banker that he didn't understand how that happened. The banker explained he made several withdraws from the ATM and several purchases, far more than the $800 ish dollars he had deposited.

The young man then was shocked to find out that when you use a debit card, the money comes out of your account right away! He genuinely thought the bank just kept something like a "tab" for you and you paid the bank back whenever it was convenient (kinda like a credit card).

Reactions: Angie