2018 FB hotboard

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
There will be numbers on the OL and some experience (albeit pretty young).

* = has started games

Seniors
Oge Udeogu
Will Windham
Kory Kodanko

Juniors
Julian Good-Jones*
Bryce Meeker*
Josh Knipfel*

Sophomores
Sean Foster*
Josh Mueller

RS Freshmen
Jacob Bolton
Colin Newell
Jeff Nogaj
Robert Hudson
Alex Kleinow

davehon

Apr 4, 2015

* = has started games

Seniors
Oge Udeogu
Will Windham
Kory Kodanko

Juniors
Julian Good-Jones*
Bryce Meeker*
Josh Knipfel*

Sophomores
Sean Foster*
Josh Mueller

RS Freshmen
Jacob Bolton
Colin Newell
Jeff Nogaj
Robert Hudson
Alex Kleinow
It would be nice to add a JUCO (spring semester) OL in this class

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I saw the same and thought the same thing, then I saw the grading for our defensive players and now I'm taking the grades with a grain of salt. They had Vernell Trent and Lanning really low, like to the point where I almost put no warrant on the grades given.
I can’t speak to Trent, but I’m not surprised on Lanning. Grades are as much about your mistakes as they are the the plays you make.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81 and xboxfever

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I saw the same and thought the same thing, then I saw the grading for our defensive players and now I'm taking the grades with a grain of salt. They had Vernell Trent and Lanning really low, like to the point where I almost put no warrant on the grades given.

Well, you can do that if you want and I'd agree somewhat on Trent, but I can see that Lanning grade. It will probably ruffle feathers but he makes mistakes. Against OU, he had the lowest grade of any LB in the conference. Ray Lima has been really good at taking up blockers and you don't have teams able to run on us like OU, TCU and OSU have without breakdowns at the second level with Lima in there.

This isn't a defense of PFF and me making a case they are perfect. They won't be, but another blog I visit does a metric grading of that teams players and very often it's in line. This is also season long stuff so the odds that they are off with two different gradings every week isn't that high unless they have a complete misunderstanding of schemes which can happen sometimes but not regularly. I actually tried it for a couple weeks a couple years ago and it was really fun to do. I just don't have 6-8 hours every week to do it.

Reactions: no2cyclones

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Yeah, I guess I never really thought about Lima's high level of play and how that could help mask some deficiency in Lanning's play, or our linebackers in general.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
I would say they work hard to get Ramos and Jeshaun Jones. After that, Banks is probably a longshot with the big names popping up on his offer list. The staff already filled the spots for the departing DL guys, and have two solid LB coming in.

I'm guessing they just work hard on those guys, look for a grad transfer or JUCO QB and try to poach the best guys they can to fill it out.
The staff is definently looking at another DE player for the class

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
I hope to see a RB, another big receiver, an OL, a DE, and a DL added to the current commits. Never have too many DL's. A JC DE would be good for balancing out the classes.

Desperately need the young safeties/star and LB's to step in next year and bring up the performance/depth of those groups, especially safeties/star; Leo and Tongamoa to provide meaningful contributions, replacing Trent and giving Lima more of a breather during games; and the OL to continue developing, with the young squad members providing quality depth and at least one starter, unless that's finally provided by Udeogu.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Not that the staff isn't already trying to make every area of the team better. But I really do hope they have urgency to improve the OL for next season. If that means finding Grad Transfers or JUCO's, so be it. We need better starters and more depth. A potentially new QB, and one of the best RB's in the country, we need a better OL to really take the next step.

It will be interesting to see what happens on the OL front. There are a bunch of Fr and RSfr OL on the team right now. (12) I'm sure that there are at least a couple in the 2018 class also. A couple of the true freshman are getting close to seeing the field. I guess the point is, there are a lot of scholarship OL, they just need a little more time to grow up. The junior class is almost nonexistent so, if they can find a good JC or grad transfer tackle, that would be great.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

* = has started games

Seniors
Oge Udeogu
Will Windham
Kory Kodanko

Juniors
Julian Good-Jones*
Bryce Meeker*
Josh Knipfel*

Sophomores
Sean Foster*
Josh Mueller

RS Freshmen
Jacob Bolton
Colin Newell
Jeff Nogaj
Robert Hudson
Alex Kleinow

Listening to pregame Saturday (Warming up my feet) before I walked into the stadium. I remember hearing we were one more injury away from pulling a redshirt in the OL. If that's the case some of the upperclass guys may not be considered options and a Juco/Grad or two may be needed. Be nice to have 7-8 non freshmen as viable options.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
I think we'll see a surprise recruit, maybe 2. I'm certainly no insider and I could be wrong but I've heard a couple things passively that makes me think there are some people who are flying under the radar who haven't been talked about.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBlitz

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Or think about the fact that Mike Warren could be a really effective back again.
Don't be surprised if Warren elects to go elsewhere as a grad transfer. He has fallen behind Croney now, so I would imagine he will want to go somewhere where he will start in his final season rather than be a 3rd stringer. It would be best for him and would free up a scholarship for ISU. I love Warren and watching him during his freshman campaign was amazing, but he is just not a good fit in this new offense. I would love to see him rack up a ton of yards at another school and get a shot at the NFL.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
I wouldn't mind them getting another player just like kempt. A walkon that was overlooked but is smart and can make accurate but short passes.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
We struck gold during Campbell's first year with Brian Bobek, but then took two big whiffs this year with guys that sounded like they could be great additions. I have to think that there are some OL grad transfers who would love to be coached by Manning.

Some grad transfers on O-line could actually get some pro-views based on Montgomery's stat lines. If one of them comes over and helps in any way to open holes for DM there would be some exposure for them that they couldn't get in many other programs!

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
SIAP but couldn't find anything. John Waggoner got an ISU crystal ball pick from Steve Wiltfong Friday morning.

• Informative
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Seems like next year will be the first time in three years the online will not be starting over. It should be an exciting start to the season.