*** Official Tulsa Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
I catch a lot of games from the radio of a tractor cab and last night was no different. I LOVE listening to Walters and Heft.....but when the time comes for them to retire out of it, I really hope Blum and Williams get a phone call. I kept telling myself, I may be listening to the future voice of the cyclones, and I'm content with that. They did a very very good job. It was great radio.

Blum = Yes

Williams = Hell no lol

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
No, didn't catch any of the game, and not saying ISU hasn't had behaviors from players that I didn't appreciate as a general sports fan.

If it's internalized and within the team, great and there's nothing wrong with fire and emotion. That's something this team needs.

If it's directed at opponents/fans and happens often, the player looks like an idiot and the best thing that can happen to that player/team with those kinds of behaviors is to get punked in a bad loss or something.
Yeah, that is fair. He wasn't doing it to Fans, and I would not be applauding/respecting it if he had done that. But I have nothing wrong with him getting a couple blocks and letting the other team hear about it. If it is constant and he is getting punked himself, then it looks foolish. But seeing that from a player this season, IMO, brought a bit of fire to our team and I loved it. I guess we'll have to keep an eye on it going forward, but for now I don't see it as any problem, in fact i see it as the opposite currently. Wanna see another Double-Double with a handful of blocks again tonight!

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Glad he's got a mean streak but I'd prefer someone just going about their business without the jawing and drama...glad NWB and DJ stepped in. Much more impressive if someone is just playing the game and leaving it at that.

I watched Xavier/Wisconsin last night and the Xavier players were all over the fans, especially one particular kid. Looked like a moron.

If he gets double-doubles, he can jaw all he wants as far as I'm concerned as long it doesn't get him a T. I do prefer players that let their playing do the talking, but some guys get themselves going by doing that too.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I like idea of Talley coming off the bench playing for any of those positions depending on matchups or if foul trouble hits. Talley definetly has looked the part I could get behind him getting extended minutes when going small but I am not ready to jump Solomon for him at least not this early.

Let's not forget how well Young played to end last year as an undersized Center. His first three games this year have been limited by foul trouble, if he cleans that up I expect Solo to get in a better groove and build on that. In the future moving SY to the PF, with Lard at C, should give him even better matchups in the future (size wise).

Yeah, and Young hasn't gotten off to a great start in part because he's not a ball handler. He needs good, timely feeds to get his, although I would like to see him going to the boards more aggressively so that he could get some put backs.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Tally has a nice midrange game and plays good d the problem is that with 2 guards and 2 bigs plus tally that puts tally at the wing and in the corner and eliminates that corner 3 pt threat that we are so used to seeing. Beverly can hit that shot but playing Beverly over Tally makes the defense worse and rebounding worse..If Tally could actually hit 30% from 3 this team would look a whole lot different IMO.

This is where I hope to see T Lewis progress throughout the year..T Lewis can shoot and run..If he can become a somewhat ok defensive player then he may start playing 15+ min a game at that wing slot.

It just becomes easier to defend a team that only has 1-2 players on the floor that will even put up 3’s..

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Tally has a nice midrange game and plays good d the problem is that with 2 guards and 2 bigs plus tally that puts tally at the wing and in the corner and eliminates that corner 3 pt threat that we are so used to seeing. Beverly can hit that shot but playing Beverly over Tally makes the defense worse and rebounding worse..If Tally could actually hit 30% from 3 this team would look a whole lot different IMO.

This is where I hope to see T Lewis progress throughout the year..T Lewis can shoot and run..If he can become a somewhat ok defensive player then he may start playing 15+ min a game at that wing slot.

It just becomes easier to defend a team that only has 1-2 players on the floor that will even put up 3’s..

Talley has been attempting 3's from the corner but not hitting them. It has only been 3 games so I won't say he can't but his shot hasn't looked totally natural yet. Prohm had mentioned before the season he gave both him and Beverly the green light to shoot from there. I would guess if one becomes a threat from outside and they'll both get the opportunity to prove it.

X-Factor could be Brase. He has shown at Princeton the ability to shoot from range. It would lessen the need for either to shot 3's during his minutes.

Something else to look for in the non-con. I know SY has been looking to expand his game from outside too though I haven't seen enough good results to trust that in meaningful minutes yet.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
A lot of points were given up in the last couple minutes of the game when it was all but decided. Winning this tournament should have been a given... but now winning it will give this team much needed confidence IMO.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
djack-sean-gif.45658

solomon-birdie-gif.45659

babb-bros-gif.45661

jakolby-ryu-gif.47076

prohm-gallop-gif.51643

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Talley has been attempting 3's from the corner but not hitting them. It has only been 3 games so I won't say he can't but his shot hasn't looked totally natural yet. Prohm had mentioned before the season he gave both him and Beverly the green light to shoot from there. I would guess if one becomes a threat from outside and they'll both get the opportunity to prove it.

X-Factor could be Brase. He has shown at Princeton the ability to shoot from range. It would lessen the need for either to shot 3's during his minutes.

Something else to look for in the non-con. I know SY has been looking to expand his game from outside too though I haven't seen enough good results to trust that in meaningful minutes yet.

Talley was 4-24 from 3 before coming to ISU, not sure why Prohm gave him that freedom. He's looked really bad shooting them, not just because he's missing them but he just doesn't look comfortable shooting them. He's looked good from mid range and driving, I'd like to see him stick to those.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Talley was 4-24 from 3 before coming to ISU, not sure why Prohm gave him that freedom. He's looked really bad shooting them, not just because he's missing them but he just doesn't look comfortable shooting them. He's looked good from mid range and driving, I'd like to see him stick to those.

Prohm's philosophy is to have his 3 and 4 shoot the 3 as part of his offense. I know that Talley hasn't demonstrated that in his career yet and I am a little dubious that he'll all of a sudden become a 35% 3-pt shooter. I don't see Prohm telling any of his player not to shoot outside especially in the non-con.
No matter what, Talley has looked like he'll contribute this year and next how much of an impact could be determined if he can develop shooting range.

Lewis could factor here too later in the year as he develops a comfort level as he should be a good 3 pt shooter and could thrive in that role too.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm wondering if Prohm saw something in his shot that they have been fixing in practice but under pressure in a game situation he reverts to his old form. The only way to get it fixed for good is to continue to work on it in practice and continue to encourage him to shoot it in game situations until he can execute under pressure. If that is the case, I would rather they work it out in the preseason than try to fix it during the conference season.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Prohm's philosophy is to have his 3 and 4 shoot the 3 as part of his offense. I know that Talley hasn't demonstrated that in his career yet and I am a little dubious that he'll all of a sudden become a 35% 3-pt shooter. I don't see Prohm telling any of his player not to shoot outside especially in the non-con.
No matter what, Talley has looked like he'll contribute this year and next how much of an impact could be determined if he can develop shooting range.

Lewis could factor here too later in the year as he develops a comfort level as he should be a good 3 pt shooter and could thrive in that role too.
Good point. And not all of the players have to shoot 35% from outside. Even a 30% 3 point shooter demands attention on the perimeter and helps open up the middle. 30% from 3 is equivalent points per attempt as shooting 45% from 2. Not stellar, but enough to keep the D honest.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Good point. And not all of the players have to shoot 35% from outside. Even a 30% 3 point shooter demands attention on the perimeter and helps open up the middle. 30% from 3 is equivalent points per attempt as shooting 45% from 2. Not stellar, but enough to keep the D honest.

IIRC Hoiball was calculated, but was also built in the premise that anyone could score from anywhere, even if they weren't necessarily great at it.

Hogue shot 34% from 3 his first year, then jumped to 43% his senior year, but watching him shoot you wouldn't think he'd be a viable threat.