*** Official Appalachian State Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
How much do announcers make? After hearing about this crew and watching last couple football games I feel I can bring a lot to the commentator game.

You probably make more than the commentators that were on this game. I'm not sure they are even full-time employees of ESPN.

Sadly, Tommy Tuberville probably gets a nice paycheck for 4 hours of "work". He sure as hell isn't preparing for his games.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnWay187

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Not sure I follow your response bolded above. I assume you are referring to when NWB was in high school?

If ISU is to do well, we need to get in transition like against App. State. It was also clear how much spacing was emphasized the past couple of practices as well. Also, I feel part of the issue with Young is we don't have guard play yet to recognize and reward Young for good post positioning. Young and Lard were missed a handful of times for what seemed like easy baskets.
Yep, high school. He didn’t play much at Arkansas in 2014-15, let alone get the volume needed to get in the flow. Redshirted 2015-16. Then was the new guy with 4 high volume seniors plus DJ. He’s a good kid that’s naturally a good teammate, so he overly deferred until late last year. But it was clear he had the potential that would quickly turn into talent if given consistent volume. Wigginton should follow similarly, although his skillset/size combo isn’t as good.

We haven’t been good at hitting the open post under Prohm.

• Funny
Reactions: CHim

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
We won and it was great fun watching the offense play freely and make shots! Hope we can keep it up.

In my book, we're 1 - 0*

*I'm not counting the first two games without Brase and Lard;-) We're 1 - 0 with a full team.
Bring on Tulsa.
Did anybody see them play? I don’t get that channel. Seems like all the announcers thought Western Zmichigan would win. Seems like Tulsa beat them fairly easily. I see Frsnk Haith is their coach - he is a well known cheater.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Bring on Tulsa.
Did anybody see them play? I don’t get that channel. Seems like all the announcers thought Western Zmichigan would win. Seems like Tulsa beat them fairly easily. I see Frsnk Haith is their coach - he is a well known cheater.

Didn’t see them play but see that Elijah Joiner (the Chicago kid that was our backup recruit to Wigginton) had 11-7-3 with two steals for them.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Clonedude before the game:

Clonedude after:

It was clear last year NWB was a good Big 12 player and that with more volume would be better. You have to remember that the last time NWB had the green light was when ISU had Kane. I’m glad to see he isn’t being too brought down by not having the talent around him.

The staff finally formally made NWB a lead guard. Now the staff needs to work on unlocking Young’s potential. We’ve been missing very basic basketball plays that would result in the posts being effective. We did last year as well, but the seniors were talented enough to cover.

Wrong Babb from when Kane was here.
Edit..... Kane never played with the older Babb neither.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Bring on Tulsa.

I wasn't able to watch Tulsa-WMU, so I'm no help. I, too, thought Western Z-Michigan ;) would beat Tulsa, but I was wrong about 2 of the 4 games, and almost wrong about Boise-UTEP.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I think of we can come out of this tourney with 2 wins it would be great for confidence..

Cam Lard and BRase make this team look night and day different from what we saw vs MiL. Lard has excellent feet for a big man...has a lot of energy....is a true rim protector...has good hands and finishes around the rim very well..Lard for a kid having not played for 2 years looks really good tonight. BRase I have a feeling was just tentative offensively tonight not trying to do to much and get others involved but he’s capable of hitting the 3.

I’m curious to see how the knee is tomorrow and if he plays tomorrow or if Prohm sits him and plays him the 3rd game. But BRase I really like as well..he gets good position rebounding and his passing is good for a big man and he’s bigger than I thought too..

Sure we gave up 98 pts but they shot under 40% and they put up like 80 shots.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
You probably make more than the commentators that were on this game. I'm not sure they are even full-time employees of ESPN.

Sadly, Tommy Tuberville probably gets a nice paycheck for 4 hours of "work". He sure as hell isn't preparing for his games.
Sad, if true. And also a poor business decision, since they are the face of ESPN every time they broadcast.

Their job should involve prepping for the broadcast by interviewing coaches, team members, and other people of interest to the game, whether that's the Mayor of Ames, the equipment manager, or someone serving Clone Cones. He obviously did none of this.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Bump for @Hayes30

Yep, high school. He didn’t play much at Arkansas in 2014-15, let alone get the volume needed to get in the flow. Redshirted 2015-16. Then was the new guy with 4 high volume seniors plus DJ. He’s a good kid that’s naturally a good teammate, so he overly deferred until late last year. But it was clear he had the potential that would quickly turn into talent if given consistent volume. Wigginton should follow similarly, although his skillset/size combo isn’t as good.

We haven’t been good at hitting the open post under Prohm.

It was a little confusing but FinalFour did explain it. He was using something that every Cyclone knew - When Kane was playing in Hilton - to give a reference point for how long it has been since NWB had an opportunity to play extended minutes and look for his shot rather than deferring to others.

• Friendly
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
How much do announcers make? After hearing about this crew and watching last couple football games I feel I can bring a lot to the commentator game.

If they make anything at all, it's too much. For football especially, everything I need to know is on screen now, down, distance, even the first down and LOS lines are digitally on the screen. All the other sports are pretty well covered without having anyone talk as well. Even baseball, "WOW, should have called that a strike!" Yeah, no ****, you've got that box that shows us it's a strike, I don't need your take on it now.

Most of the time, the announcers just ruin the game for me by talking about **** I and most other people, don't care about. Especially the classic, "He hasn't missed a free throw yet!" or "This guy is 100% on field goals this year."

I blame Madden for most of this. He was decent in his day, but he was the first color commentator to take the "Never Shut Up" to a new level. Madden prompted everyone else to follow suit and believe they are the star of the show, not the game. I know they all think they have to explain the game to us, as my prime example was Dan Dierdorf. I remember in the first game he did on TV, the receiver dropped a perfect pass in the end zone. Dan proceeds to say, to us feeble minded idiots, "Folks, If that receiver would have caught that ball, that would have been a touchdown." No ****? That's what it means if someone catches the ball in the end zone?

Most commentators now treat TV like they are on the radio. Chris Collinsworth comes to mind of the ultimate worst. They think that any dead air is too much for the fans and we'll get bored and change the channel if they ever stop talking. Any game Collinsworth does, I usually spend have the time scremaing, "Shut the **** up!" Honestly, I wish they'd all go studio only and call the game from a monitor. Get rid of the color commentators and the sideline people who go into the crowd and talk about MREs. And just have a play by play person call the game for what it is.

Sorry for my rant, but a lot of announcers have kind of ruined sports for me anymore. I usually watch with the sound off. And I definitely don't watch the amount of sports I used to. And yes, I've become and angry old man.

Reactions: LincolnWay187

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Bump for @Hayes30

It was a little confusing but FinalFour did explain it. He was using something that every Cyclone knew - When Kane was playing in Hilton - to give a reference point for how long it has been since NWB had an opportunity to play extended minutes and look for his shot rather than deferring to others.
You nailed it. It wasn’t meant as a trick, but the possibility of confusion reinforces the point of how long ago NWB’s role facilitated this side of him. Not only did he not play with Kane, the reader should ask when has NWB previously had a large volume role at ISU? Never. Or at Arkansas.

I’m not saying he hasn’t improved, he has, but this upside has always been there waiting for the volume. Imo, if he had DJ’s mentality we would have seen this last year.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
If they make anything at all, it's too much. For football especially, everything I need to know is on screen now, down, distance, even the first down and LOS lines are digitally on the screen. All the other sports are pretty well covered without having anyone talk as well. Even baseball, "WOW, should have called that a strike!" Yeah, no ****, you've got that box that shows us it's a strike, I don't need your take on it now.

Most of the time, the announcers just ruin the game for me by talking about **** I and most other people, don't care about. Especially the classic, "He hasn't missed a free throw yet!" or "This guy is 100% on field goals this year."

I blame Madden for most of this. He was decent in his day, but he was the first color commentator to take the "Never Shut Up" to a new level. Madden prompted everyone else to follow suit and believe they are the star of the show, not the game. I know they all think they have to explain the game to us, as my prime example was Dan Dierdorf. I remember in the first game he did on TV, the receiver dropped a perfect pass in the end zone. Dan proceeds to say, to us feeble minded idiots, "Folks, If that receiver would have caught that ball, that would have been a touchdown." No ****? That's what it means if someone catches the ball in the end zone?

Most commentators now treat TV like they are on the radio. Chris Collinsworth comes to mind of the ultimate worst. They think that any dead air is too much for the fans and we'll get bored and change the channel if they ever stop talking. Any game Collinsworth does, I usually spend have the time scremaing, "Shut the **** up!" Honestly, I wish they'd all go studio only and call the game from a monitor. Get rid of the color commentators and the sideline people who go into the crowd and talk about MREs. And just have a play by play person call the game for what it is.

Sorry for my rant, but a lot of announcers have kind of ruined sports for me anymore. I usually watch with the sound off. And I definitely don't watch the amount of sports I used to. And yes, I've become and angry old man.

lol, you're going to get at least one response of "old man yells at cloud." But you're right, these announcers lately all seem to be downright terrible.