Some perspective on offensive performance (after 3 games)

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I think Beverly has played well enough to stay the starter. Lard may get more minutes if he can stay out of foul trouble, but Beverly was in there when we started our big 2nd half run last night.

I have been impressed with Beverly and not saying he hasn't done anything to lose his starting spot, but Lard just gives us more height.

Beverly's mid range game seems to be pretty good.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I think Beverly has played well enough to stay the starter. Lard may get more minutes if he can stay out of foul trouble, but Beverly was in there when we started our big 2nd half run last night.

So far I'd put Solomon as the odd guy out, not Beverly. But that's pretty fluid, don't think either has done enough to get a stranglehold on the starting spot.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone101

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hopefully Solomon figures out a role and snaps out of his funk. He's been pretty invisible so far.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brase is the one that ends up starting and Lard keeps coming off the bench. Just from a "coach on the floor" perspective. Assuming he's healthy and can play "starter's minutes".

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
So far I'd put Solomon as the odd guy out, not Beverly. But that's pretty fluid, don't think either has done enough to get a stranglehold on the starting spot.

Solomon isn't losing his starting spot. He was the main reason for the team's turnaround last year. He's much more valuable to the team than Beverly.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
ISUs offense has looked and performed dismal so far this season, but vs. App. St. was a welcome sight.

Against App St. ISU had an offensive point per possession of 1.28.

ISU's 2016-2017 team only had a greater offensive PPP than 1.28 four other times: The Citadel (H)- 1.41; Baylor (H)- 132.7; OK St. (A)- 1.30; TCU (N)- 1.30. The 2015-2016 teams only has 2 games where it had an offensive PPP of greater than 1.28.

Does this mean ISU is going to perform this proficient moving foward? No. Do I expect this team's offense to be anywhere close to ISU teams of recent memory? No, but it might be a glimmer of hope of what the potential of this team can be.

FWIW, I think this team could easily be a top 50 defensive team once they really start focusing on that aspect of the game. One day at a time will serve this team and this fanbase well.

I disagree about being a top 50 offensive team. I think last night was an aberration, with the only difference between last night and the first two games is that the same shots they had been taking and missing were actually falling. We're still not moving the ball enough, as evidenced by our assist percentage on made field goals still being below 50% (very similar percentage to the MO game). If this team is going to be good, they are going to have to start on the defensive end, because there is a severe lack of consistent offensive firepower.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wigginton and Jackson are not more natural point guards.
You're probably right about 'natural', but given their size, and if they have any aspiration to play at the next level, they're gonna have to run some point. Not too worried about Lindell, as I'm sure he'll slide into that role eventually.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Solomon isn't losing his starting spot. He was the main reason for the team's turnaround last year. He's much more valuable to the team than Beverly.

He was good to finish the year but it's hyperbole to say he was the main reason. He solidified the last spot they weren't getting much production from.

With Brase healthy there are 4 players going for the 4 & 5 spot this year. That's assuming Prohm doesn't attempt to go small at some point. He's going to have to produce if we wants to keep his spot.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I'd have to think that if Lard and Brase both play well in the offseason that we will be seeing both of them start the game. Obviously it's hard to gauge but the team seemed to be a bit better last night with both of them in. No offense to Solo as I think he's decent, but Lard possibly has a bit higher skill set. Of course, it's too early to tell...so we'll see.

Solo was inserted into the lineup last year because of a lack of production at that spot and he was our best option. However, I think he may be more of a WIP than both Lard and Brase.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You're probably right about 'natural', but given their size, and if they have any aspiration to play at the next level, they're gonna have to run some point. Not too worried about Lindell, as I'm sure he'll slide into that role eventually.
I thought we were discussing what’s best friend r ISU basketball, not some NBA fantasies. In respect to the next level, we better hope Beverly miraculously becomes a wing.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
No doubt Jackson needs to play off guard and spot up for his 3s. Late game he should be to go to guy on in bounds as his FTs are solid. I do hope he needs to quit whining about every foul called on him.
Congrats to Donavon on a career high last night.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

Agree on Lindell, though I think it'll take him some time. I think out best offense will be NWB, Talley and Lindell driving and dishing at the end of the year.

I didn't get a chance to see the game yesterday, but glad to see they got a W. I've been pretty critical of the team's chances, so hopefully they'll continue to progress and get things figured out. Sounds like Lard was solid. Can't wait to watch tonight.

Go Clones.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I thought we were discussing ISU basketball, not NBA fantasies. In respect to the next level, we better hope Beverly miraculously becomes a wing.
OH give me a break. I'm talking about the elite players on our team, not the 5th year former football player who just wanted to keep playing because he loves the game. I don't know if Beverly has aspirations of playing pro-ball after college, but D-Jax and Wigginton are highly-touted players, and have been their whole lives. They are better athletes with much higher ceilings and will (should at least) have a better chance to play at the next level. And due to their size, won't be attractive 2-guards in the NBA or even Gatorade League. Their best shot is at PG.

That is all I'm saying.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Hopefully the guards will get better at feeding the ball inside. Seemed like we had 5 or 6 turnovers where they forced things too much. That was more than Monte had all of last season. Did they not learn from watching the maestro?
There were several times when Solo ran a pick and roll, got open and no pass came. Last year, Monte made it happen. Solo will be effective if the pass gets made.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The last minute was sort of throw away - they let App State score 2 3-pointers and fouled them on 2 other 3 pointers which were converted. Then App State scored with 1 second left on the clock. Props to App State for even scoring 14 points in the final minute. It's kind of useless considering the layup with 1 second left - you aren't going to defend that. IMO the score is not really indicative of the game, at least the second half.

I'm not putting a ton of stock into it - this is something they can adjust, hopefully. Also, App State attempted 12 more 3 pointers versus ISU than Bridgewater, meaning they were getting inside a lot easier against Bridgewater than ISU. They shot pretty well from beyond the arc - making 15 3-pointers.

Also, just a thought but if Lard plays well again tonight then I'd have to think Prohm would be thinking more and more about starting him.

In addition they simply weren't making their threes against Bridgewater. They shot 8 of 28 for a dismal 28.6%. Justin Forest, the freshman who couldn't seem to miss in the second half last night went 0-5 from 3 and 1-8 overall against Bridgewater.

Despite the competition, this App State team has proven they can score averaging 118.6 in their three contests before last night (including one exhibition).

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
There were several times when Solo ran a pick and roll, got open and no pass came. Last year, Monte made it happen. Solo will be effective if the pass gets made.

I've seen that time and time again and I swear most times than not it doesn't seem like they're even looking for that pass. It's early I know.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Agreed, Solo isn't a guy who will get the ball at the 3 point line and drive a guy, even if he is slower. Solo is a bang it down low and get dirty points. I think Lard and Him will be able to be a nice front court once they figure out their styles and how they can compliment each other. But it was a good sight seeing a presence on Defense again, as much as Solo played really solid D, Lard has the tools you can't train.

Looked better last night, there are some things we need to clean up still, but happy to see the guys puttin the ball in the basket.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Babb is definitely a floor general. Gonna have to hope one of the more natural PG' s (Lindell and Donavan) can get more comfortable running the offense though

DJ is not a natural PG..He’s a natural spot up shooter. He just doesnt have the handles to big a big 12 full time PG..He cant go to his right well at all either.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Wts..Having 3 capable bigs inside who can score and rebound will be huge for this team..It is critical that Brase stays healthy because there arent a lot of teams with 3 bigs who can score inside fairly well and rebound and play good D.

We can start the offense a lot of times getting ball inside and with 3 guys who can score inside it will open up the 3pt shot.

What i really love about lard aside from his length and energy is his rebounding...He looks to block a body out and doesnt watch the ball which is how you rebound..

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
If Babb and Jackson combine for 49, including 8-13 from 3... we need to beat App St. by more than 6 pts. Defense has a long way to go, starting with how to defend without fouling. Unlikely Babb can keep that type of performance going, he was great last night.