Iowa State will finish last in the Big XII - Rothstein

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
We’re just not going to be experienced enough as a team to be good defensively in conference. I think the comparisons to Freds first team are pretty apt. The cavalry comes in a major way next year (and I’m talking more about Shayok than our recruiting class which is also awesome).

Except Fred's first team has a stretch 5 mismatch that could hit 38% from 3's. Not sure we have more than a single player that will reach that mark this year.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
To be fair, not many saw two first round pics in that team either at that time.
Perhaps, but we have nothing close to a Fizer and Nurse in terms of proven guys. No one expected a national title worthy team, but improvement was expected. That team also returned guess the Stevie, Rancik, Shirley types, which we hopefully have.

We’re definitely not going to replicate that year, but you also don’t need two first rounders to make the tournament. The year I hope this mimics is ‘96-‘97, but I’m not sure Prohm will go that style.

rob05

Apr 14, 2006
Ankeny
Did anyone inform the team that they’re only getting 10 wins this year?

Can I at least know the 10 games we win?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Perhaps, but we have nothing close to a Fizer and Nurse in terms of proven guys. No one expected a national title worthy team, but improvement was expected. That team also returned guess the Stevie, Rancik, Shirley types, which we hopefully have.

We’re definitely not going to replicate that year, but you also don’t need two first rounders to make the tournament. The year I hope this mimics is ‘96-‘97, but I’m not sure Prohm will go that style.

Issue being 96-97's team was returning pretty much everyone from a good NCAA tourney team from the previous season. The style had to match lots of experience and proven winners. But yeah, this team certainly can't get into track meets and is going to need to grind out wins like Floyd did. Is Beverly Pratt?

I've reference that team a few times during non-conference meltdowns occasionally--just think if these forums were around when that team was ranked #4 and lost to Marquette in Hilton or got punked by Tyron Lue there too.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Issue being 96-97's team was returning pretty much everyone from a good NCAA tourney team from the previous season. The style had to match lots of experience and proven winners. But yeah, this team certainly can't get into track meets and is going to need to grind out wins like Floyd did. Is Beverly Pratt?

I've reference that team a few times during non-conference meltdowns occasionally--just think if these forums were around when that team was ranked #4 and lost to Marquette in Hilton or got punked by Tyron Lue there too.
Sorry, I meant the year before. Jacy was the only significant returner if I recall correctly

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I've been pretty pessimistic about this year, which I don't think is a bad thing. It's going to be a rough start, but Prohm has shown the ability to make teams better throughout the year. I think we'll lose a few that we shouldn't in the non-conference, then win a few we shoulldn't in Hilton late. I have a hard time believing that we'll will get last, but at the same time I don't think we'll be top of the B12 half either.

If we're even sniffing "Bubble Status" in February, Prohm will have earned every penny. Go Clones.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Prooooobably not gonna win in Lawrence this year :(

Which is the case pretty much every year for every team.

Might drop a few more in Hilton than usual which will feel weird but if you're not good, you're not good.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Here's how I see it.. If we can gel fairly quickly and find a way to play fairly consistently by end of December, I could see us going into conference play with 7 to 8 wins and win the first couple games. We then start playing teams we just can't match up against.

If everything goes well and our freshmen can score more than I expect their first year, I could see us finishing conference play with 8 or 9 wins (good for 7th or 8th). However, I think the more likely scenario is we struggle to score above 60 most nights and win 5 or 6 conference games (likely 9th or 10th).

The two teams I think we have a legit chance to finish higher than are Kansas State and Oklahoma State.

Projected League Standings:
  1. Kansas
  2. West Virginia
  3. Baylor
  4. TCU
  5. Oklahoma
  6. Texas
  7. Texas Tech
  8. Iowa State
  9. Kansas State
  10. Oklahoma State

Likely Wins (would be surprised with a loss):
vs Milwaukee
Appalachian St
W Illinois
N Illinois
Alcorn State
Maryland Eastern Shore
Tennessee

Total:
7 Likely Wins

Bubble Games (could see close game or blowout either way):
Iowa
Northern Iowa*
Kansas State*
Texas
at Oklahoma State*
Texas Tech*
at Texas
at Texas Tech
at Kansas State*
Oklahoma State*

Total:
10 Tossups (* = slightly better than 50/50 towards ISU)

Likely Losses (would be surprised with a win):
at Missouri*
at Kansas**
Baylor**
at TCU**
West Virginia**
at Baylor**
Oklahoma*
Kansas**
TCU*
at West Virginia**
at Oklahoma*

Total: 11 Likely Losses (* = possible but unlikely, ** = highly unlikely)

Final Record: 13-15

While not to our new expectations, I do think it'll be a true rebuilding year with next year being a fringe Top 25 team and the following year a Top 20 team again. We just have so many scorers and role players to replace that I don't think people appreciate just how much of a drop-off there will be.

Again, believe in the process but the Prohman Empire wasn't built in a day.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Here's how I see it.. If we can gel fairly quickly and find a way to play fairly consistently by end of December, I could see us going into conference play with 7 to 8 wins and win the first couple games. We then start playing teams we just can't match up against.

If everything goes well and our freshmen can score more than I expect their first year, I could see us finishing conference play with 8 or 9 wins (good for 7th or 8th). However, I think the more likely scenario is we struggle to score above 60 most nights and win 5 or 6 conference games (likely 9th or 10th).

The two teams I think we have a legit chance to finish higher than are Kansas State and Oklahoma State.

Projected League Standings:
  1. Kansas
  2. West Virginia
  3. Baylor
  4. TCU
  5. Oklahoma
  6. Texas
  7. Texas Tech
  8. Iowa State
  9. Kansas State
  10. Oklahoma State

Likely Wins (would be surprised with a loss):
vs Milwaukee
Appalachian St
W Illinois
N Illinois
Alcorn State
Maryland Eastern Shore
Tennessee

Total:
7 Likely Wins

Bubble Games (could see close game or blowout either way):
Iowa
Northern Iowa*
Kansas State*
Texas
at Oklahoma State*
Texas Tech*
at Texas
at Texas Tech
at Kansas State*
Oklahoma State*

Total:
10 Tossups (* = slightly better than 50/50 towards ISU)

Likely Losses (would be surprised with a win):
at Missouri*
at Kansas**
Baylor**
at TCU**
West Virginia**
at Baylor**
Oklahoma*
Kansas**
TCU*
at West Virginia**
at Oklahoma*

Total: 11 Likely Losses (* = possible but unlikely, ** = highly unlikely)

Do you have any Tums I can borrow?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
That's not my point. Point is you can't judge a team by its exhibition game.

The way everybody acts on this forum CSP should finish in 5th or 6th in the Big 12 and get into the tournament with 19 wins. Sounds good to me. So if we finish 7-11 in the conference are we ready to label this year as underachieving?

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The way everybody acts on this forum CSP should finish in 5th or 6th in the Big 12 and get into the tournament with 19 wins. Sounds good to me. So if we finish 7-11 in the conference are we ready to label this year as underachieving?

Again, not my point and I'm not "everybody" on this forum. Let's just see how the games play out before worrying. All I know is I'm not going to take too much from an exhibition.

Reactions: peteypie

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That's not my point. Point is you can't judge a team by its exhibition game.
But you can use common sense. A team expected to be bad due to a huge loss in talent that looks as expected will continue to be thought of as bad.

That team with Fizer and Co may have had a bad game early on, but it was clear that team had the pieces to be good.