ESPN Big 12 Power Ratings: ISU #1

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's definitely quirky, but it makes sense if you figure they are trying to rank 2 different things. If you're trying to rank strongest chance to win the Big 12, hard to argue with Iowa State at this point considering record and who they've beat within the conference. But if you're ranking nationally and chances to get into the playoff are a big factor, ISU would clearly need the most additional help even if they won out.

Or they are ranking the best teams in the Big 12 as of today.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
No chance because Iowa State is such a small brand.

Meh, even if we do win out, even the homer in me would say we should not jump any one loss team for the spot. This is just another reason it needs to be expanded to 8 teams. I could completely understand keeping a team out with losses to Iowa and Texas, but if we were to win out, ISU would be the hottest team in the country by far and certainly would have a case. It's just that with only 4 teams being let in, and past criteria, The 1 loss teams should get the nod.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The real question is, if ISU runs the table the rest of the way, will they get into the Playoffs?
giphy.gif

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Meh, even if we do win out, even the homer in me would say we should not jump any one loss team for the spot. This is just another reason it needs to be expanded to 8 teams. I could completely understand keeping a team out with losses to Iowa and Texas, but if we were to win out, ISU would be the hottest team in the country by far and certainly would have a case. It's just that with only 4 teams being let in, and past criteria, The 1 loss teams should get the nod.

What about a 1 loss WI team that plays 1 ranked team? (a loss in Big 10 championship)
What about a 1 loss Ohio St team that has 1 win vs a ranked team?
What about a 1 loss PSU that has wins against Michigan and Michigan St ?
What about a 1 loss Washington that has a top 25 win at Stanford?
Plenty more 1 loss teams that would not have any kind of a resume to speak of.

As big of a homer as I am, you would have 4 top 10 wins, with 2 of them top 5.
I realize not going to beat OSU or PSU out... but the resume is better plain and simple.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Shaping up to be amazing. If we can get a road win over previously ranked WVU, will climb further in the polls. Then big showdown with ranked OSU at home. Could conceivably climb into the top 10 even if OSU drops one to OU this weekend.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
What about a 1 loss WI team that plays 1 ranked team? (a loss in Big 10 championship)
What about a 1 loss Ohio St team that has 1 win vs a ranked team?
What about a 1 loss PSU that has wins against Michigan and Michigan St ?
What about a 1 loss Washington that has a top 25 win at Stanford?
Plenty more 1 loss teams that would not have any kind of a resume to speak of.

As big of a homer as I am, you would have 4 top 10 wins, with 2 of them top 5.
I realize not going to beat OSU or PSU out... but the resume is better plain and simple.

Listen, I'm not denying that taking a snapshot of today, ISU wouldn't deserve a shot. That's not the way the committee works though. Maybe they will prove me wrong, but that loss against Iowa is going to be a bad loss on our schedule. I know we are playing good football now, but that is a back breaker, imo. I don't think Texas is playing much better than Iowa, but at least they have the name recognition. PSU, tOSU may not have beaten a lot of ranked teams, but they didn't lose to unranked teams either, we did. That's a big knock.

If all things were perfect, I could give ISU a shot, but my feelings have always been that you have to consider the whole season and who's been more consistent. We gave up a crap ton of points to a bad offensive Iowa team. I don't like it anymore than any other ISU fan, but it's the truth, that game is a bad mark on our resume.

This is a good reason the playoff should be expanded to 8 teams. All P5 conference champions go, then at large for the other 3 spots. Takes a lot of guesswork and ******** and moaning out of it.

Of course all this said, this is how I feel today, part of me is still in disbelief. Talk to me in December, if we still haven't lost, I'll probably be on the "We deserve a spot" bandwagon. Especially since at that point, we'd have had to be a really good team twice.

Thefullmonte

Nov 3, 2015
A lot would have to happen for ISU to make the CFP as a two loss team.

But there IS a “possible” path.

It’s going to need to be some luck with either Georgia or Bama lose twice, and thereby only have 1 SEC team in the CFP

Going to need something similar with the Big 10 and ACC.

But if ISU wins out, and takes down another top 10 team in the title game....man is that going to get interesting. Unfortunately, it’s probably going to still leave them like 5th or 6th

If I was a betting man....I’d say your 4 spots go to:

Bama
Georgia at 12-1 with 1 loss in the title game
Notre Dame at 12-1 with that one loss to Georgia
Winner of 12-0 Wisconsin and 11-1 Ohio State in the B10 title game.

What gets REALLY interesting is if Oklahoma wins out with wins over OSU and someone like Iowa State/TCU/etc in the title game.

Finish 12-1 just like OSU.....but they own that DOMINATING early season win.