Next ISU President: Wendy Wintersteen

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Pretty cool that she's been an Iowa Stater for almost 40 years- starting out in extension and rising all the way to president of the university.

Didn't know she was considered an enemy of sustainable ag. That is interesting.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Pretty cool that she's been an Iowa Stater for almost 40 years- starting out in extension and rising all the way to president of the university.

Didn't know she was considered an enemy of sustainable ag. That is interesting.

yeah I know there were some big donations in there but that's sort of par for the course now. The state government seems to be the ones that are doing what they can to wack sustainable ag programs. I'm not sure how Wintersteen was supposed to save the Leopold Center. I did hope that the BoR would pick someone who could play nice with the current political leaders in IA to avoid ISU becoming a target for cuts and attacks the way the UW is here now.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I find it hard to believe that someone who started in Extension is truly in the back pocket of corporate ag. Obviously as the Dean of the Ag College, she had to have those relationships and it is something to watch and she has to be held accountable.

I think my first choice was Sonny, but I'm happy with this hire.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Should we turn down TV revenue money from ESPN and FOX because they are "corporate" too?

That's completely missing the argument. Corporate donations are not the problem, using corporate donations to suppress differing voices, opinions and most importantly research is the problem.

In your analogy it'd be if ESPN and Fox got to choose the coaching staff and the style of play for their donations.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Not the best hire in my opinion but could have been worse. Thank god it didn’t go like the Iowa search. Worst of the four candidates but again I’m not up in arms about it. It will be fine.
It's virtually unheard of for a dean of a college to be named president of a university. She's unqualified IMO. Her academic credentials (Kansas State, then ISU) pale in comparison to Wickert (3 degrees at Berkeley, then Cambridge, then Carnegie Mellon). Still shaking my head.
But then the "Iowa Regents/corporate ag" angle makes so much sense now.

HuntStCy

Ok. This is where you lost me.

Let's say Wendy had supported whatever programs or learning centers you consider to be more "sustainable." Is that suppressing those voices who believe what you think is sustainable is actually not? Because I'm fairly certain what you and I consider to be "sustainable" are two different things.

If I support Monsanto but am a part of a family farm, am I a corporate shill?

Being sustainable is SIZE NEUTRAL.

Many big farms do things right and many small things do things wrong. Of course the opposite is true too.

Once you go down the road of big is bad, you're revealing where your true motivations are and I don't think it's "sustainability. "

In my opinion.

That's completely missing the argument. Corporate donations are not the problem, using corporate donations to suppress differing voices, opinions and most importantly research is the problem.

In your analogy it'd be if ESPN and Fox got to choose the coaching staff and the style of play for their donations.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
This is a great choice. Anybody who has worked with Wendy(like I have) knows that she is passionate about ISU yet engaged with the world outside of ISU. She works hard, is very smart, and understands politics. She will be a great leader and champion for Iowa State University!
Not true. I know a department chair who has worked with her for the past 10 years who does not think this was a "great choice."

• Creative
Reactions: aauummm and bawbie

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
It's virtually unheard of for a dean of a college to be named president of a university. She's unqualified IMO. Her academic credentials (Kansas State, then ISU) pale in comparison to Wickert (3 degrees at Berkeley, then Cambridge, then Carnegie Mellon). Still shaking my head.
But then the "Iowa Regents/corporate ag" angle makes so much sense now.
But did he apply?

• Friendly
Reactions: aauummm

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I don’t get why people don’t like this hire. She seems like a good hire to me. I don’t know the ins and outs but she seems like she has done a good job of securing investment in the CALS. I’m not a fan of a lot of the things the Monsanto’s of the world are doing but I also think they are made out to be a boogeyman that they aren’t a lot of the times.

Overall solid hire that I think will be successful.

Reactions: aauummm

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The Matt Campbell staff bonuses, brought to you by DuPont Pioneer! Get it done, Wintersteen

AND let's show Case that our new scoring average makes the "CASE IH Redzone" SUPER valuable!!!!!!!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think she will be a good President. Anybody would look bad after Geoffrey, and anybody will look good after Leath. So she's got that going for her.

But I'm moderately well connected in the world of Big Ag. In fact, this post is brought to you by Dow/Dupont/Pioneer

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I sort of wonder if she was second choice to the UCF guy, cause President Hitt of UCF has announced his retirement some time next year today? (Maybe someone already addressed this, CF is being funky for me and everything just jumping around in every thread.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron