Cyclone Wrestling Practice Videos and Interviews

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
This team is going to fight harder than any we’ve seen in a long time. Can’t wait.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
This team is going to fight harder than any we’ve seen in a long time. Can’t wait.
Yep. Going to be a big change!

I know it was only short clips but the most impressive wrestler I saw in those videos was Ian Parker. He looked really good against Gomez.

Also, after reading Dresser's last newsletter..its easy to see why he mentioned the wrestlers he did, and why he didn't mention other certain wrestlers.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Yep. Going to be a big change!

I know it was only short clips but the most impressive wrestler I saw in those videos was Ian Parker. He looked really good against Gomez.

Also, after reading Dresser's last newsletter..its easy to see why he mentioned the wrestlers he did, and why he didn't mention other certain wrestlers.

I broke who he mentioned out by weight to see if it gave a lineup. Came close

125; Jonathan Marmolejo
133: Markus Simmons, Austin Gomez, Ian Parker
141: Kanen Storr
149:
157: Chase Straw
165: Skyler St. John, Logan Breitenbach
174: Marcus Coleman, Colin Strickland
184: Dane Pestano, Danny Bush
197: Sam Colbray
HWT: Marcus Harrington

Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Thats great, thanks Judoka. It was also kind of funny how Zadick broke down the groups of kids too. It was basically:
Group one: I love these kids, they are the kids who we want in our program..
Group two: These kids are getting better and are starting to buy in, but aren't quite there yet..
Group three: I'm not mentioning your name, because you aren't buying in at all..

At least that is the way that i took it.

We have 4 really good kids at 133-141 - hopefully next year we can at least cover 3 weights instead of two with them.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I really liked the Storr and Simmons live go. Storr is really good at getting to legs, but Simmons really impressed with his fight and not giving anything up. Simmons looks big too.

Hopefully Storr can grow to 49 and then you have Parker/Gomez at 33, Simmons at 142, and Storr at 49 next year

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Thats great, thanks Judoka. It was also kind of funny how Zadick broke down the groups of kids too. It was basically:
Group one: I love these kids, they are the kids who we want in our program..
Group two: These kids are getting better and are starting to buy in, but aren't quite there yet..
Group three: I'm not mentioning your name, because you aren't buying in at all..

At least that is the way that i took it.

We have 4 really good kids at 133-141 - hopefully next year we can at least cover 3 weights instead of two with them.

Where was this information at? Was it in one of the videos on Flo?

Jun 17, 2017
Where was this information at? Was it in one of the videos on Flo?

It was from the mid-October Newsletter:

First, here's a wrestling report from Coach Zadick:

Officially our season has begun (OCT. 10) and this coaching staff has continued to implement its philosophy with our Cyclone Wrestlers. We have seen some really good things from them and more and more athletes are buying in and believing! Seeing the positive changes and development is a start in the right direction for us, and the more we keep seeing that change, the more momentum we have!

Once we have gained some good momentum the next key is to have that consistency! Some individuals who are leading the charge and standing out to us as examples of change and motivation for growth are the likes of Ian Parker, Austin Gomez, Skyler St. John, Marcus Coleman, Kanen Storr, Chase Straw, Logan Breitenbach, Dane Pestano, and Marcus Herrington.

There are other hard working and/or talented wrestlers like Sam Colbray, Danny Bush, Jonathan Marmolejo, Colin Strickland, and Markus Simmons who have been making some gains as well, and we are expecting these athletes to springboard us into that Nov. 4 weekend here in Ames at the Harold Nichols/Cyclone Open for our first test of the season!

We have appreciated the fan interaction and awesome support you have all given to Iowa State Wrestling! We will keep a tough, positive attitude and continue to build the minds and bodies of our athletes!

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Really good to see all those names on there, especially because a lot of them are already very talented to begin with.

As with all things though, there are some names that stick out by NOT being listed, which is unfortunate. Hopefully they use that as motivation.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Vega not listed. In one of the videos, he gets beat by Marmolejo and then lays on the mat afterwards with Zadick yelling to him to get up off the mat (he doesn't)..that's frustrating to see especially because he is talented and by far our best option at 125..there is a reason why the staff went hard after Teske and have now switch focus to Cashman and others..they see 125 as a weakness..

Also, disappointed to see Gremmel not listed, but that one also surprises me very little..

I will say it again, I am very impressed with Ian Parker - this staff is a perfect match for him. Would really like to see him in the lineup as I think he could really surprise people.

I'm excited to see the team grow this season and the program build in the next few years. LOTS of talent.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I think you guys are reading a little too much into his comments. The list is not all inclusive. The positive is there are a couple names on here that I don't think the coaching staff were confident would still be on team. Good to hear they are finally buying in and making progress.