Just asked Campbell about the noise....

Spam

May 21, 2008
What a phenomenal response by Matt Campbell.

When a coach can give a response like that, I can't believe I fell for a response like "firmly entrenched". What a difference.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com
Here's his response. Full interview tonight on KXnO. I'll post it on the CF Pod stream too.

“You become really disappointed. You become really frustrated in the fact that it is really disrespectful to our university and it is really disrespectful to our football program. It’s why you come to a place like Iowa State, to build a true program and to lay a foundation, to build it the right way and give yourself an opportunity to win a conference championship somewhere down the line. Then when you have an opportunity to win conference championships, you give yourself an opportunity on this level to go play in Power 5 Playoffs. I think that is the reality of it. I don’t think honestly that I have thought anything of it other than that other than a sense of frustration and a sense of disappointment in comments like that. We know who we are. We know where we are going. Where we are going is we have only scratched the surface of where this football team and this football program has the ability to exist on the national football landscape.”

Chris, given how "over-the-line" Herbstriet has been with all this (the gravity of his statements, the timing of his statements and his repeated insistence on his opinion), I have to believe that there is more to the story here!!. I.e., is Campbell making too much headway on Ohio State recruiting territory? Is he about to flip some of OSU's commits? He seems to have WAY too much interest in ISU and Campbell here as I see things.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I hope coach's response was directed just as much at Randy as it was at Kirk. Randy needs to knock this **** off.

Even his more positive stuff on ISU is more passive aggressive backhanded crap. When things are going well he is always looking at the "it wouldn't last angle". He'd last about a season before getting fired if he took that approach if covering the Hawkeyes. It's kinda pathetic. He's kinda pathetic. He's seems to only be hanging around hoping to get to cover some BIG ISU scandal before he retires.

I don't expect columnist or opinion guys to be all rah rah rah but he is assigned to cover us, he's not like a general columnist guy paid to stir things up.

Last edited:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I know you are making a joke but I don't expect him and really don't want him to say that he's never leaving. We are all adults here. If he wants to stay then he'll stay if he wants to go he'll go. I hope in the mean time that we get to the point we can keep the ball rolling of he leaves.

He will never say he is staying forever even if he does. He will never say he is leaving even if he does. He is here until the time arrives when he calls his wife and says, "Honey, the fans at ********* are amazing and I love the area. I could see us living here." Until that feeling happens, relax. When it does happen, wish CMC and staff well.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Even his more positive stuff on ISU is more passive aggressive backhanded crap. When things are going well he is always looking at the "it wouldn't last angle". He'd last about a season before getting fired if he took that approach if covering the Hawkeyes. It's kinda pathetic. He's kinda pathetic. He's seems to only be hanging around hoping to get to cover some BIG ISU scandal before he retires.

I don't expect columnist or opinion guys to be all rah rah rah but he is assigned to cover us, he's not like a general columnist guy paid to stir things up.
I hear Randy is an alright guy. But as a beat reporter covering ISU athletics he’s not good and fits everything to his 1980’s era narrative. On one hand the DMR has a fanboy putting out propaganda that would make the Kremlin blush, and on the other you have Randy.

• Funny
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He will never say he is staying forever even if he does. He will never say he is leaving even if he does. He is here until the time arrives when he calls his wife and says, "Honey, the fans at ********* are amazing and I love the area. I could see us living here." Until that feeling happens, relax. When it does happen, wish CMC and staff well.
It’s not wise for any coach to mention forever, or even specific years. The issue that it’s not conventional at a P5 school to have to say anything at 5-2 in Year 2, particularly to the local media. I’m sure you’ve dealt with this for years, and unfortunately for Toledo they have had a few guys leave very early. He’s secure enough as a coach to call their bs, that they’re insulting ISU, his current program, more than they are complimenting him.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
It’s not wise for any coach to mention forever, or even specific years. The issue is that it’s not conventional to have to say anything at 5-2 in Year 2. He’s secure enough as a coach to call their bs, that they’re insulting ISU, his current program, more than they are complimenting him.

Smart guys know how to do "Coach Speak". I'm not saying he ever speaks on a subject without being "COMPLETELY" honest, but wording and delivery is everything.

It's in the "PLAN".

ViktorLuzor

May 1, 2016
New Ames, Iowaland
This is as much of a response to KH as it is to Randy Peterson. That article in this morning's paper was classic Randy. I listen to KXNO every morning and evening to and from work but anytime Randy comes on, I have to change the station. The guy needs to move on from The Register and let someone else respectable take his place for the Cyclones..

You'd think Randy Pete-head would have learned to not F with the Cyclone fanbase after the time he was spotted in Hilton. He was lucky to only have to suffer a broken leg. I was shocked the fool barely got out of there with his life.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
You'd think Randy Pete-head would have learned to not F with the Cyclone fanbase after the time he was spotted in Hilton. He was lucky to only have to suffer a broken leg. I was shocked the fool barely got out of there with his life.

OK, that is probably too far.

And you are playing into the reconstructive history of that event. Randy tripped on a cord. He was not knocked over by students in a court rush. However, some students tried to help him.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009

And you are playing into the reconstructive history of that event. Randy tripped on a cord. He was not knocked over by students in a court rush. However, some students tried to help him.

What bothered me about that was that he has never came out and stated he tripped over a cord. He let the perception that he was ran over by rabid ISU fans linger.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Well said.

Honestly, what advantages does TCU, or KSU, or Baylor, or Washington, or (as Chris Williams said on twitter) even Clemson have that are impossible at ISU?

Campbell may get offered $10M a year to take over a championship contender like OSU, and honestly he should go if that is offered to him. I'd have no hard feelings.

But Campbell is 38 years ago and committed to a "process" and a "program". If he's smart (and I think he is) he should know that he has a long career in front of him and he doesn't have to hit the big time right now.

Why don't you think of ISU as "big time"? Prestigious conference, huge attendance, etc... Just needing the right staff but the inherent lack of fan self esteem is another one of those things we need to destroy.

What did Stuart teach? I'm smart enough, I'm good enough and doggoneit people like me...

Reactions: FinalFourCy

67CY

Apr 13, 2006

He seems to have written many articles in the past about players leaving early and has never been right as far as I remember. He even had to write one last week after MBB press day.

• Agree
Reactions: ViktorLuzor

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Dont give RP the click bait. All he said was same thing as Kirk, we need to enjoy coach while we have him. Im sure he would spin it as "well I didnt say he is leaving, enjoy him for the next 50 years that you have him" as a cop out but the tone and context was the same as Kirk. Just negativity and either he knows something or he just want to push the negative into the program right now.

I mean, RP is right, in that we do need to enjoy HCMC while he's here. Do everything we can to hold on to him. But in the end, if his heart is elsewhere, we don't have the financial resources to compete against the blue bloods. But-- and I've stated this many times previously-- I am much happier losing a coach who was really good, than I am firing a coach who was really bad.

I am cautiously optimistic that HCMC plans to stick around and build us up a bit.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He seems to have written many articles in the past about players leaving early and has never been right as far as I remember. He even had to write one last week after MBB press day.
Playing to fear is a good option when you don’t have talent

ViktorLuzor

May 1, 2016
New Ames, Iowaland

No, actually I'm not going too far with that and yes, I am "playing into the reconstructive history" as I'm being intentionally absurd cuz that's what I do. I don't often use those emoji things because I prefer to express my thoughts with words instead of symbols.

"Too far" would be if I were to use these forums to directly encourage hate and violence on Randy Peterson. Which I did not and do not do. I'm having fun here. I'm well aware of what really happened.

If you were fully aware of the history, you'd remember Randy played up the drama on that as well and made it it seem like he was the victim of out of control ISU Students which is unfair and classless for a professional journalist to do.

Enjoy the forums and don't worry about little old me. Randy can take care of himself.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Get me some pads and a helmet! I don't care if I'm mid 40s! Where is the wall that we are supposed to run through! Who doesn't want to play for a guy like that?!!!!!

I'm age 66. If you'll pardon me, do you mind if I watch while you don pads and helmet then attack that wall? ;-) Quickly, I promise, I'll be at your side with a First Aid kit while suggesting we retire to the JTS stands.

Gotta love your enthusiasm, though!

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
nobody wants a coach that can only squat 135# anyway.

Screen_Shot_2015-12-23_at_7.15.36_PM.0.png

Appears to be a feet together squat...trust the process.

Reactions: Doc

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron