***Official Herbstreit Hate Thread***

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Let's be clear, Herb isn't suggesting at all that Campbell take over OSU, at least not yet. He is talking about some mid-level SECpool team like Ole Miss, Tenn or Arkansas poaching him. There's more talent and easier to recruit, but when you consider the control he has here, and the fact that the Big 12 is in a phase of coach turnover and is a great time to flip the pecking order, ISU is in a better position than most, ISU fans included, believe.
On the flip side, people should forget the low expectations at ISU as a benefit. I don't think just winning 6-7 games is even a long term prospect this staff can register. I have spoken with one of the primary assistants through school things and I can tell you their mindset is simply that they will win and win big at ISU. They don't think it, they know it. It's a matter of when, not if.
Yes, these schools would be crazy not to contact MC, but I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.

MidTennClone

Oct 5, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
The one program that might worry me is Tennessee. SEC program with great tradition, that could interest recruits from Ohio/Michigan. I believe Herbstreit lives in Nashville, so he might have some inside info.

I live in the heart of Big Orange country, and I have heard the talk about HCMC going to Knoxville. The biggest issue is that UT is a complete dumpster fire right now, and unless you win the SEC East and play in the SEC CG your first year, the Vol Nation will turn on you. I think a program like tOSU might get Campbell away from us, but I highly doubt that Volfan will accept an ISU coach with one year of success. This is the conference in which Chizik flamed out, and UT remembers.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Kirk Herbstreit is totally failing as a Jay Bilas wannabe!

P.S. Jay Bilas has been to Ames for Game Day.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
All you have to do at ISU, is get to a bowl game every other year. You will have a lifetime gig, like Snyder. Why go to a massive program, that has immense pressure to win over 10 games a year and compete for a national title every other year.

Is it possible to get rid of every other men's sports programs and just throw all the money at basketball and football or at least run them at bare minimum to satisfy the conference requirements. So that we can pay Coach 3 million, if he wins consistently.

I'm pretty sure ISU is already at the minimum required number of sports required to be D1.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Let's be clear, Herb isn't suggesting at all that Campbell take over OSU, at least not yet. He is talking about some mid-level SECpool team like Ole Miss, Tenn or Arkansas poaching him. There's more talent and easier to recruit, but when you consider the control he has here, and the fact that the Big 12 is in a phase of coach turnover and is a great time to flip the pecking order, ISU is in a better position than most, ISU fans included, believe.
On the flip side, people should forget the low expectations at ISU as a benefit. I don't think just winning 6-7 games is even a long term prospect this staff can register. I have spoken with one of the primary assistants through school things and I can tell you their mindset is simply that they will win and win big at ISU. They don't think it, they know it. It's a matter of when, not if.
Yes, these schools would be crazy not to contact MC, but I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.

Absolutely, be legendary right here.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I am not so sure the "process" would work as well at Ohio State as it has at ISU. The whole process thing is very structured, team and detail oriented, and not about the individual athlete. Might not sell as well to a bunch of elite athletes that have been told they are the greatest thing ever for most of their lives. It is a much better sell to the guy that is good, and wants to prove he can be part of something great. Charlie Strong was supposed to be a disciplinarian, structured system coach and look how that worked at TX.

It's the ISU vs UNI and then Creighton basketball with McDermott.

I really think that is what happened to him at ISU. Kids who were trying to prove they belonged in D1 vs more athletic, higher profile kids who were told they were top D1 talent from the start.

Those kids don't listen to coaching as easily, they don't want to memorize a 1000 plays, they don't want to watch 20 hours of film a week.

I'm sure that's true of big time FB recruits as well. Especially in buying into the team vs individual achievements.

Also, if you want to be known as a great coach...win at ISU. :)

Anyone can win at Alabama or OSU.

That's my pitch to Saban if Campbell leaves anyway.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
It's the ISU vs UNI and then Creighton basketball with McDermott.

I really think that is what happened to him at ISU. Kids who were trying to prove they belonged in D1 vs more athletic, higher profile kids who were told they were top D1 talent from the start.

Those kids don't listen to coaching as easily, they don't want to memorize a 1000 plays, they don't want to watch 20 hours of film a week.

I'm sure that's true of big time FB recruits as well. Especially in buying into the team vs individual achievements.

Also, if you want to be known as a great coach...win at ISU. :)

Anyone can win at Alabama or OSU.

That's my pitch to Saban if Campbell leaves anyway.
Other than the staff that we have now, if I had choice of any college coach in the country it would be Gary Patterson without hesitation.

• Agree
Reactions: BigLame

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Brace yourselves. If ISU wins this weekend Herbie Handjob will double down.
Why wouldn't he? If ISU wins, they will have taken down two top 5 programs in 1 year, I don't believe there's another team in college football who has done that this year. Eventually, perhaps not this year, someone will show up with a check bigger than Jamie can cash. The amount of Cyclone fans in denial about this is confusing.

• Dislike
Reactions: ExCyment

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
CMC's comments about this were too good to be contained in one thread:

“You become really disappointed. You become really frustrated in the fact that it is really disrespectful to our university and it is really disrespectful to our football program. It’s why you come to a place like Iowa State, to build a true program and to lay a foundation, to build it the right way and give yourself an opportunity to win a conference championship somewhere down the line. Then when you have an opportunity to win conference championships, you give yourself an opportunity on this level to go play in Power 5 Playoffs. I think that is the reality of it. I don’t think honestly that I have thought anything of it other than that other than a sense of frustration and a sense of disappointment in comments like that. We know who we are. We know where we are going. Where we are going is we have only scratched the surface of where this football team and this football program has the ability to exist on the national football landscape.”

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
giphy.gif

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
CMC has seen we will fill the stadium and set attendance records for a 3 win team just think about what happens for an 8+ win team. Cyclone nation will go berserck

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Herbie even made it a point on GameDay that Ki-Jana may be the first person to have ever picked Iowa State to win.

Exactly. Pretty weak troll effort. How can he pick us to lose to a team we beat last year 66-10 while then following up with our coach getting picked off by a big boy program.:rolleyes: Such a dumb ass.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneLawman

Help Support Us

Become a patron