What will success look like? Fall 2017

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is this place that active during a home game? You would think most posters would be at the game.

It's still plenty active...I think some people even post from the game, which is funny.

The passive 'CPR' threads I would expect to come around if ISU starts out 0-2 and 1-2 or something. Retrospect will be on the rise.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think a bowl game is a very successful season.

Beyond that, I'd like to see a total point differential of -10 or better. That would almost guarantee that we were competitive in all games. This to me is just as important as the actual win/loss to tell us about the future of the program

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Just beat the bad team like we should (UNI, Iowa, Akron, Kansas, and Tech) and beat 1 more on top of that and we are 6-6 so a bowl game Id say.

Cue angry Hawk trolls in 5,4,3.....

I don't consider Iowa a bad team. I don't think they are near as awesome their fans think they are, but they are not bad by any standards.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
ISU should NEVER lose to UNI inside JTS......Campbell is not going anywhere until after at least season five........If CMC wins like I think he will ....Coach Campbell will then move onto a bigger better job.......

Its an endless cycle at Iowa State of hiring a football coach and then firing the coach if unsuccessful...and if the Coach is successful then he moves on and we do the cycle all over again...

I can attest its been that way for the last 55 years....and I don't think that is ever gonna change.....It would be nice if CMC would win a lot of games and stay....

Go Cyclones Destroy the pantherchoke-eyes

I wonder if Kansas State fans said the same type of things about successful coaches leaving when they reach a certain level of success before Snyder? How about Iowa before Fry? Why can't we hope and expect, in today's world, that CMC will make a good, winning program here and that we will pay him enough to keep him happy. Ames is a great place to raise a family and live and even retire. Why not CMC?

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I think success would be 5 or 6 wins. 5 would likely get us to a bowl game and that would be huge just for the extra practice.

Also why is everyone so confident we beat iowa? We match up with them worse than about anyone this season. They run the ball very successfully and last season we were God awful at stopping the run. They smoked us last year and people are picking that as a W...strange to me. Nobody gives us a chance against okie state which was on the road last year and we were in it the whole game

I think we have a good chance to beat Iowa because they have an unproven QB. Yes, they will run it, but I think we can go man on receivers and stack the line. I think our defensive line, though young, is probably better than last year and our linebackers are as good or better. Safeties are more experienced and we are in JTS and in year 2 so players will understand how to play the way CMC wants and not be thinking so much, but rather reacting.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
. . . Success, perhaps only barely for 1 & 2 (any of these) --
1) 3 conference wins. Hasn't happened the last 4 seasons.
2) 5 total wins. Hasn't happened the last 4 seasons.
3) Bowl game. Hasn't happened the last 4 seasons.

Dreaming big --
4) Win a bowl game. Hasn't happened the last 7 seasons.
5) Be ranked. Hasn't happened the last 7 seasons.
6) Finish better than 7th in the conference. Hasn't happened the last 11 seasons.
7) 4 conference wins. Hasn't happened the last 11 seasons.
8) Win 7 regular season games. Hasn't happened the last 11 seasons.
#1, check
#2, check

Holy cats!
#5 CHECK

mbest

Mar 24, 2011
Noting first that "how" the season happens is important (health, injuries, near misses, bad calls, etc.)

Success, perhaps only barely for 1 & 2 (any of these) --

Dreaming big --
6) Finish better than 7th in the conference. Hasn't happened the last 11 seasons.
Hoping all your dreams come true! Off to a good start so far! :)

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Noting first that "how" the season happens is important (health, injuries, near misses, bad calls, etc.)

Success, perhaps only barely for 1 & 2 (any of these) --

Dreaming big --
#1, check
#2, check

Holy cats!
#5 CHECK
#3 Bowl game. Check.
#7 4 conference wins. Check.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I was biting my tongue all the way when I was writing the original post. I wanted to say, "I think the Cyclones have a chance to be so much better than anyone is thinking." But chose to not be as predictable. Hope we continue to play now after win #6. If anyone would have told me back then that we would already have beaten a very good Oklahoma, and now had beaten two top 4 teams, I would not have believed that much success.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron