Coach Campbell

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Rhoads had some great wins against teams that weren't really that great (minus OSU) - 8 turnovers to beat a mediocre at best Nebraska team and then beating a 5-7 Texas team - take those overrated wins + winning with Gene Chizik recruits (yes, basically every player worth a crap in those years were Chizik recruits) and you get the reason we overreacted to Rhoads and gave him a terrible contract and thus went downhill FAST after his players were in his program.

CMC has built this program with HIS players, and it is only year 2 - think of all of the young talent we have that are winning us games. He has had better recruiting classes than Rhoads ever had - and look at the depth he is building with players (especially at the line of scrimmage) - CMC knows how to build a program. The culture and attitude he has established in this team is lunlike any other I've seen at ISU (I only started following in late 90's)

We need to do whatever we can to pay Campbell and his staff to stay - if we can lock him in for the long haul, we can finally have a consistent football team and program to look forward to in the falls.

I did see that we have like 10k tickets available for the game this weekend. Pollard tweeted that out and asked the fans to show up for the players and the coaches. That has to be a subliminal message. If we can't fill the stadium this weekend, make bigger donations and show even more support, Pollard can only do so much.

CMC could be our Bill Snyder and we need to ALL to what we can to keep him here for years and years.

I agree. The foundation with Campbell is much better. I don't think he'd drop off the cliff because as you said, the team has improved the more his guys have played. But the fact is he will win or be fired, at ISU or elsewhere.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Technically my first game was when Duncan was coach. I was referring to ISU coaches in general.
I see. I’m going to disagree that we’ve gone through this with CFB coaches. I guess LE had the Louisville thing but ISU MBB is bigger than a single coach, and basketball in general is so different. CPR and DMac got some looks, I guess.

I wanted CPR to win, was fine with the extension, but thought he lacked a plan and he quickly demonstrated poor high level decision making.

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
We can afford it, it just means that the other sports will suffer more like they used to before these huge TV contracts. Were getting $10s of millions from the Big 12, we can pay Campbell whatever we want practically, it just means tennis and golf and swimming, and the others will suffer. Its sad, but thats the reality if you want to keep coaches these days.
If that's what it will take then I am fine with it. Look, we can go undefeated in all those sports and nobody cares. Losing football and men's basketball is very depressing. I hate sad falls and winters. Its pretty much like having your turkey on thanksgiving day, get laid everyday(the whole fall and winter) and still be depressed. That is messed up, we need to keep Matt Campbell and Prohm so that we can be happier people again.

CycloneAS93

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 31, 2017
The guy who donated $50 Million to the Gerdin College of Business should re-distribute about 100% of that to pay our football coaches ;)

Not really joking either Lol

Reactions: FinalFourCy

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Lol. Look at donations compared to our peers. Look at budgets the vast majority, of not all of the increase in available money is the exact dollar amounts of the tv money.

Scoff all you want, but ISU has been snubbing their noses at fans for decades. Not too many people are willing to continually fund a loser. The majority of that TV money has finally put ISU in the ballpark with our conference peers in relation to facilities. I don't know how long you have paid attention, but it wasn't that long ago, ISU football didn't have a practice facility or a proper weight room. Things that are just accepted requirements for a successful football team.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Scoff all you want, but ISU has been snubbing their noses at fans for decades. Not too many people are willing to continually fund a loser. The majority of that TV money has finally put ISU in the ballpark with our conference peers in relation to facilities. I don't know how long you have paid attention, but it wasn't that long ago, ISU football didn't have a practice facility or a proper weight room. Things that are just accepted requirements for a successful football team.
Do you realize fans fund those things? The fans are ISU, or any program. Colleges no longer spend endowment or general funds on athletics. Unfortunately in the era of State money jump-starting programs, the State went elsewhere with that investment.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Do you realize fans fund those things? The fans are ISU, or any program. Colleges no longer spend endowment or general funds on athletics. Unfortunately in the era of State money jump-starting programs, the State went elsewhere with that investment.

No he doesn’t understand how this all works. It’s pretty obvious.

sredman1985

Oct 23, 2006
There's a good chance that we'll see more conference realignment coming in the mid 2020's. If your school isn't relevant in football there's a chance you could end up in conferences like the MAC or Mountain West. Matt Campbell is making ISU relevant and appears to have a formula for success that his predecessors didn't have. I think an investment in his salary and the coaching staffs' salaries is an investment in ISU's future football fortunes. We either pay now or stand to lose revenue if we get lost in any realignment shuffle.

• Winner
Reactions: KnappShack

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

No he doesn’t understand how this all works. It’s pretty obvious.

It's pretty obvious you both know very little about the history of ISU athletics. I know very well what goes into funding college athletics and we'll just agree to disagree.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It's pretty obvious you both know very little about the history of ISU athletics. I know very well what goes into funding college athletics and we'll just agree to disagree.
Hi, Bruce.

It’s not just history you’re lacking. You have a logical failure in your argument. The fans are any athletic department.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone06