Campbell's contract

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Randy Pete put out an article with his typical backhanded complimentary take, basically along the lines of 'This is going great, but he's going to leave because Iowa State'.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Thanks for the info, puts me at ease a bit. I will say its surprising that he gets more money for a 6 win season than he does for a B12 championship, although the B12 championship bonus would simply add-on to the 6 win scenario. Lets beat the toads this week!

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Thanks for the info, puts me at ease a bit. I will say its surprising that he gets more money for a 6 win season than he does for a B12 championship, although the B12 championship bonus would simply add-on to the 6 win scenario. Lets beat the toads this week!

Considering we've never won a B12 Title, it makes a lot of sense if your intent is to actually pay the coach. This is a nice attainable goal that gives a big bump in salary. And as you said, The B12 championship bonus is not instead of winning 6 games bonus, it's in addition to.

Reactions: StratCY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I have no idea if Campbell wants to be here long term.

But the fact that he signed that contract is a good sign. 9 mullion won’t keep a school from offering him but he clearly didn’t come here planning on hitching the first ride out of ames.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Just curious ... with a Big XII title game, how do you tie for a conference championship. (i.e. his bonus for winning or tying for a conference title).

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Good call, CW. Herbstreit can eat **** for getting everyone worked up in the first place. Let's put this nonsense to bed and focus on the biggest game in recent program history coming up.
He crossed the line between giving an opinion and trolling. Hines like.

If JP is doing his job, he’s got a handle on what will keep CMC here, and will do all that he can to make it happen. Even if that means a little less money for XC and track, or any other non-revenue program. Be responsible, but take a risk imo.

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
If the wins are there, the money will be there to pay CMC and his assistants. Look at the support we were giving the team with 3 wins. Can you imagine what will happen when we are actually good season after season?

Pay the man his Money!
Sorry, don't have the Rounders Meme.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
So the take away if I'm reading that right is it's going to take a touch north of $9 million to buy him out if somebody comes calling this year. I don't see that happening but if he keeps it up a year or two down the line we'd better plan on giving him and his staff a nice healthy pay raise especially if old Urban Meyer decides to hang it up again.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
If the wins are there, the money will be there to pay CMC and his assistants. Look at the support we were giving the team with 3 wins. Can you imagine what will happen when we are actually good season after season?

Pay the man his Money!
Sorry, don't have the Rounders Meme.

I got you covered
uJxT1kT.gif

• Winner
Reactions: jay moe and bawbie

CLONER99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2015
The $1.735M actually only applied to 1-month of salary (pro-rata) during December of 2015. The $935K kicked in for 2016, so he is actually $100K per year ahead of your calculations. Semantics, but kind of interesting. I am assuming they bumped up that first month to assist with all the craziness and extra costs for coaches running all over the country and recruiting without contracts.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I did the same thing and read through Campbell's contract last night. The $9.3MM buyout does two things. First, it makes the number of schools that could potentially hire him smaller. As others have said it would be no obstacle for some programs, but there aren't more than about 15 of those. Second, in a worst case scenario we would be looking for a new coach and could all of a sudden offer in the $3-4.5MM per year range because of the money in the bank. While obviously not ideal, we would at least have a much wider pool of candidates (plus more money for assistants).

The more interesting thing to me is how will the current contract structure effect negotiations on a new one in the next year or two. Lets say after this season we wanted to give coach a new $3.5MM per year deal through 2023. Would coach be willing to keep the same buyout structure (which is much higher than the norm nationally)? Because I can't see a scenario where we'd be willing to give a significant raise and lessen the buyout. Maybe they'd compromise on something like $2MM × the number of years remaining on the contract or a flat amount of something like $10MM (best for ISU because it doesn't reduce over time).

Anyway, all the thinking I'm going to do about that until the off-season. Now for the biggest football game in my time as a fan (since the early 90s).

Help Support Us

Become a patron