THE SUNDAY AFTER: Texas Tech

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Good analysis.

The one thing I disagree with is when you say "TCU has good athletes but not as good as Oklahoma's". From the TCU games I have watched they look way more athletic and faster than Oklahoma at every position.
Is that coaching though? I have no doubt OU has the better athletes, but their effort has been piss poor. I have actually come around to giving Big Game Bob way more credit after watching OUs past couple of games - he must have had to coach his ass off to get those players focused every week. TCU is showing the value of how great coaching can maximize player talent.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Man these are fun to read.

Also you know it's been a fun last 3 weeks when there's that much anticipation and write up for a game vs. a top 5 team.

I feel like I have at times with ISU basketball where there's a legit feeling like they're really in it to win it.

Except it's football season. I couldn't watch yesterday but saw it was 24-6 at halftime and didn't even roll my eyes expecting a final of 26-24 bad guys. The only thing that was odd was that they didn't tack on more scoring but that means there's lots of improvement yet to be made.

Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is that coaching though? I have no doubt OU has the better athletes, but their effort has been piss poor. I have actually come around to giving Big Game Bob way more credit after watching OUs past couple of games - he must have had to coach his ass off to get those players focused every week. TCU is showing the value of how great coaching can maximize player talent.

OU always stubbing their toe, or watching teams like Ohio State screw around and struggle to beat teams even though they're loaded with NFL talent are strong evidence that coaching at a blue blood would have a really sh*tty downside.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Man these are fun to read.

Also you know it's been a fun last 3 weeks when there's that much anticipation and write up for a game vs. a top 5 team.

I feel like I have at times with ISU basketball where there's a legit feeling like they're really in it to win it.

Except it's football season. I couldn't watch yesterday but saw it was 24-6 at halftime and didn't even roll my eyes expecting a final of 26-24 bad guys. The only thing that was odd was that they didn't tack on more scoring but that means there's lots of improvement yet to be made.
When rewatching the game, although we didn’t score on offense, we were still productive. Small things got in the way.

It’s been so nice being on the winning side of mistakes. Here we is to TCU making many.

DM is so good. He makes this offense work as I don’t think we’d have a run game without him. I’m really hoping the OL pipeline matures asap, as it would be a shame not to see him behind some good blocking.

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
I said this in another thread, TCUs speed and talent are as good as OU this year, but the difference is Gary is a way better coach then Riley, TCU will beat OU this year.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Insightful analysis from Jordan, as usual.

Something I wouldn't have noticed in real-time: Watch the Spears pick-6 clip — less than 2 seconds after snap, he's running full-speed into the passing lane, like he knew exactly where the ball would be thrown.

Well prepared. Studied the film, saw what was coming and made the play.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Apparently, he did his homework. And aced it.

The game turned ISU's way on micro-moments like that — pick-6 was a 4th-quarter moment that turned what could've been 1-score game into 3-score lead.

I was at the game watch in Marion, and was just talking to someone about how hard it is to throw 50+ passes in a game without one getting picked off right before that play. Great aggressive play by Spears. Team pretty much laid back and made the tackle in those plays all game and then a guy jumps the route. As Jay pointed out, the line also helped by putting guys between the QB and receiver so the pass had to be floated a little.

Reactions: keepngoal

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
When rewatching the game, although we didn’t score on offense, we were still productive. Small things got in the way.

It’s been so nice being on the winning side of mistakes. Here we is to TCU making many.

DM is so good. He makes this offense work as I don’t think we’d have a run game without him. I’m really hoping the OL pipeline matures asap, as it would be a shame not to see him behind some good blocking.
Agree...Our run game without DM would be about 50% of what it currently is. I thought the OL did better on Saturday. Not great but better. Saw some flashes but the consistency is what is lacking.

Being on the winning side of mistakes can be attributed to discipline and preparation. Look at Spears pick 6. He knew what the play was when they came to the line. That was a player making a play.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Insightful analysis from Jordan, as usual.

Something I wouldn't have noticed in real-time: Watch the Spears pick-6 clip — less than 2 seconds after snap, he's running full-speed into the passing lane, like he knew exactly where the ball would be thrown.

I think it was the Ames Tribune that got a few quotes from him after the game. He said that was all film study, apparently they run that screen a lot and when he saw the formation and the WR motion he was ready to jump it. Good coaching, plus great athleticism.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I said this in another thread, TCUs speed and talent are as good as OU this year, but the difference is Gary is a way better coach then Riley, TCU will beat OU this year.
FWIW I think TCU has the better overall team (especially defense), but it's hard to count out OU in any game when Mayfield is behind center. Dude is a stud.

I think they found something in that Rodney Anderson RB too.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Agree...Our run game without DM would be about 50% of what it currently is. I thought the OL did better on Saturday. Not great but better. Saw some flashes but the consistency is what is lacking.

Being on the winning side of mistakes can be attributed to discipline and preparation. Look at Spears pick 6. He knew what the play was when they came to the line. That was a player making a play.
On the flip side, how lethal would DM and our offense be with a very good OL? I honestly think DM would be averaging over 150 yards a game and we’re approaching a top-10 team. Certainly undefeated. It’s a credit to this staff that that’s the missing piece (and a failure of the previous imo).

Can this OL group get appreciably better in the last 5? I’m not optimistic. It usually takes years to get an offensive lineman developed, and we have numerous guys in the beginning of that process. But even just getting to consistent stalemates against good teams will do.

Unfortunate bounces happen, but the distribution should be in your favor with good coaching. Every coach and player will make mistakes, but we have very good coaching that have developed good players. Getting consistent discipline and preparation (aka development) by the majority of the 18-22 year olds isn’t easy. Effort alone isn’t enough, nor is being a good recruiter in terms of rankings. It’s the most important thing we’ve needed from a staff, and have been missing for decades.

Last edited:

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think it was the Ames Tribune that got a few quotes from him after the game. He said that was all film study, apparently they run that screen a lot and when he saw the formation and the WR motion he was ready to jump it. Good coaching, plus great athleticism.
True, and as Jay pointed out, not just by Spears. The other guys did their jobs, which allowed Spears to do his. It highlights how superior coaching can level the playing field.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
On the flip side, how lethal would DM and our offense be with a very good OL? I honestly think DM would be averaging over 150 yards a game and we’re approaching a top-10 team. Certainly undefeated. It’s a credit to this staff that that’s the missing piece (and a failure of the previous imo).

Can this OL group get appreciably better in the last 5? I’m not optimistic. It usually takes years to get an offensive lineman developed, and we have numerous guys in the beginning of that process. But even just getting to consistent stalemates against good teams will do.

Unfortunate bounces happen, but the distribution should be in your favor with good coaching. Every coach and player will make mistakes, but we have very good coaching that have developed good players. Getting consistent discipline and preparation (aka development) by the majority of the 18-22 year olds isn’t easy. Effort alone isn’t enough, nor is being a good recruiter in terms of rankings. It’s the most important thing we’ve needed from a staff, and have been missing for decades.
Why not? It happened last year.

• Agree
Reactions: Gordilly

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron