Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Annual school carnival last night, so kids are playing with all their "treasures" this morning. They did get smart about 4-5 years ago and enlisted a sorority to provide volunteers for all the games. Used to be parent volunteers and nobody would volunteer because they wanted to take their own kids around.

They had inflatables set up in the gym, which did not turn out so well. In one of those "obstacle" course type inflatables a kid got hurt and broke a wrist or arm or something because way too many kids were in at one time. Then on the type where you wear a harness to a bungee cord and try to reach the other end, some kid cut their head open.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone else notice that since @cyrocksmypants moved to Minnesota that we no longer suck at football? Causation? Correlation? Coincidence?

Going to have a slice of apple pie and ponder on this some more.

After some pondering, more correlations:
  • We are undefeated in basketball when I either sit with KC or at least chat with her at a MBB game. We may need that mojo this season.
  • We are 0-0 (all sports) when @jcyclonee or @VeloClone show up for a Twin Cities gamewatch. At this point I think we should just ban them from watches for the rest of the season. Too much risk of upsetting the mojo we have going if they just suddenly show up someday.
  • I am on a 141-1 streak of bike rides without vs. with CF'ers. 142-0 without injury or death. Should continue avoiding CF'er, just to be safe. Mojo thing and all.
  • When Boxster does an alumni gamewatch we are 3-1 and 2-1 with no gamewatch. Inconclusive.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
  • We are undefeated in basketball when I either sit with KC or at least chat with her at a MBB game. We may need that mojo this season.
  • We are 0-0 (all sports) when @jcyclonee or @VeloClone show up for a Twin Cities gamewatch. At this point I think we should just ban them from watches for the rest of the season. Too much risk of upsetting the mojo we have going if they just suddenly show up someday.
  • I am on a 141-1 streak of bike rides without vs. with CF'ers. 142-0 without injury or death. Should continue avoiding CF'er, just to be safe. Mojo thing and all.
  • When Boxster does an alumni gamewatch we are 3-1 and 2-1 with no gamewatch. Inconclusive.
If it is a home game and I'm not at it it generally means I have a commitment up here and can't watch the game live anyway. Yesterday was the first day I could watch an away game live and it was just a half before I had to take the kids somewhere. Kids in activities generally tend to put a crimp on my Cyclone style.

Besides, schlepping kids to a bar clear across town for a game is not a fun thing to do and I'm pretty sure Mrs. Velo is even less enthused than I am. It's not that I am dodging Cyclones, it's just that I'm busy and cheap. (I was doing the single parent thing the latter half of the week and weekend. Mrs. Velo's Uncle/Godfather succumbed to cancer after about three years of battle so she was out of town.)

And finally I'm not superstitious, buuuuttt... I'm not going to mess with what is working. I was tempted to not start watching the game live yesterday because I hadn't watched Akron, OU, or KU live. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I planned myself a lot of less-than-exciting stuff to do in the Library today, like finishing my bibliography updates, going through my files for sources I forgot to include, setting up first thoughts about edits, stuff like that.

Now I'm down to the last one I can do here today: Read my own book.

Crap. I've read book so much longer than this with ease, but this will be brutal.
Goodbye, self-esteem. Hello, self-loathing, my new friend.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You know you're welcome to join us any time...even if we DO sit in the "cheap seats"! :)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I did not see Walking Dead so I should most likely stay away from the internet

You should do as I did, stop watching. When they did that cliff hanger of who was going to get bat bashed I just walked away. Pretty much every plot line was a rinse and repeat of the Rick/the group being idiots time and time again and being incapable of learning anything. I already had to suspend disbelief, cause zombies, but additionally having to buy into the cartoon characters and repetitive plot (and audience manipulation) just got to be too much.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
MrsWx last night "Assuming we don't fall flat on our face are we going to go to the bowl game?" Damn she knows the way to my heart.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I forgot what it was like to deal with super fans. Leaving the crowd for Saturday thread before I pick a pointless fight.

140207_2724099_Weekend_Update_Segment___The_Superfans_anvver_2.jpg

Totally. Teased Clonee some about not coming to gamewatches but he has cool things to do with his family on Saturdays which trumps sitting around watching sports. The Super Fans piss me off with their blame game bs and all self righteous indignation crap. "You are not like me! Therefore you are not as GREAT as me! I R' Super Fan!"

Hell, two of my ISU buddies here in Mpls do not follow sports at all, no sports, none, zippo. Who the **** am I to tell them they should or shouldn't. JFC. Also, I don't go telling football fans that they should also like WBB and volleyball. I do but if they don't fine (as long as they don't mock me for being a fan of them, which some do.)

/rant

Reactions: wxman1

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Totally. Teased Clonee some about not coming to gamewatches but he has cool things to do with his family on Saturdays which trumps sitting around watching sports. The Super Fans piss me off with their blame game bs and all self righteous indignation crap. "You are not like me! Therefore you are not as GREAT as me! I R' Super Fan!"

Hell, two of my ISU buddies here in Mpls do not follow sports at all, no sports, none, zippo. Who the **** am I to tell them they should or shouldn't. JFC. Also, I don't go telling football fans that they should also like WBB and volleyball. I do but if they don't fine (as long as they don't mock me for being a fan of them, which some do.)

/rant
I thought you were serious and actually bitter about me not showing up to gamewatches. :)

By the way, if there's a gamewatch this next weekend, we have a 6th grade girls volleyball jamboree. If I hustled, I could probably make the 2nd half but I imagine there will be a trip for ice cream involved afterwards.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

/rant

Amen. I know of at least ten people that are long time if not life time Cyclone fans and I don't know if they have ever been to a game. I know of others that are saving for other stuff that have turned down tickets. You don't know what is going on in their life and who they are. Just because they aren't out there tailgating 12 hours before the game with no shirt on doesn't make them a lesser fan.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I thought you were serious and actually bitter about me not showing up to gamewatches. :)

By the way, if there's a gamewatch this next weekend, we have a 6th grade girls volleyball jamboree. If I hustled, I could probably make the 2nd half but I imagine there will be a trip for ice cream involved afterwards.

I don't even know if I am going to be at the gamewatch. Flirting around with running down to the game but don't have a ticket. Buddy might be in the fields so could have a shot at his. I am a fan but a soft fan as I actually like watching with friends on TV more then going to the game with 50,000 strangers. Might feel different if I had a group of like minded people to attend a game with but the ones I know are are on two extremes (1) total serious super fans or (2) tailgaters that just go to the game to drink, drink, drink*. I am not either.

* Talking leave a halftime and maybe not return, cause drinking in the lot.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The teenage daughter was bowling while on her trip to Chicago a few days ago. While bowling she said there was a basketball game on TV. She noticed that the jerseys were yellow and red and she thought to herself, "Why is Monte Morris still playing for ISU? I thought he graduated." I turns out it was the Cleveland Cavs and she mistook Monte for LeBron James.

I feel like I've done well teaching her priorities if she thinks LeBron looks like Monte and not the other way around.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Interesting to see some of the local HS sports dynamics. We won one conference softball game, so softball is not a strong sport. Our volleyball team won our conference outright and are gunning for state. Girls soccer went to state last year. Don't follow basketball too much but don't think we were all that great in girl's basketball. We would go play a volleyball team and our daughter would be like, "they were really good in softball, I bet they will be good" and we would cream them. Football was strong the past 5 years or so, but his year we only won a couple games. The freshman team went undefeated and usually won by huge scores. Just my Monday observations. :)

We will be moving up to 4A in the next year or so, and in 2 years we will be moving conferences.

Reactions: wxman1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron