***Official Herbstreit Hate Thread***

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I get what you're saying, but how many Frank Beamers or Bill Snyders are there? Not many I'd bet.

GenX and Millenials have different motivations that are less monetary and possession based than Boomers.

I wouldn't be surprised either way, but it isn't like he didn't have choices when he came to ISU.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Hawks are lovin this they keep telling me he's going to Ohio State last I knew they were doing fine , enjoy the ride I'm sure Pollard already working in a plan .

Ha! Guess they dont recall that he had an offer from Urban Meyer to join the Ohio State staff when he came to ISU

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
What Randy Pete and Kirk Herbstreit types fail to realize is that Campbell wants to build something on his own he doesn't want to take over a name brand and win off its Laurels he wants to win on his own accord

He's his own man and I think ISU offers a VERY family-based, faith-based environment that seems important to CMC, CSP and JP to name a few.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Gundy, Briles and Snyder all stayed at their schools when they had chances to leave. I'm not saying Campbell would stay forever, but there are plenty of examples of coaches wanting to stay at "average/lower" P5 jobs. If you can pay s decent amount they will stay. P5 coaches don't leave nearly as often as many "analysts" would lead to to believe. Especially if your school and athletic department are invested in football.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Very obvious why Kirk is randomly hating on ISU:

1. Oklahoma goes in and blows out Ohio State in Columbus
2. Iowa State beats Oklahoma in Norman to prove OU isn't some all time great team
3. Kirk still wears his Brutus the Buckeye pajamas every night

We ruined his scenario where his Buckeyes have one loss to the top team in the nation. Instead they got blown out at home by a team that's borderline top ten. I would expect most AP voters and the CFB playoff committee feel the same way since they all have a permanent bone for Ohio State.

Pretty sure you just nailed it.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I love Herbstreit too. Of course Campbell will get calls if things keep going upward like they are.
Funny thing, Campbell was also a hot name at Toledo; none of us felt sorry for the Rockets...

images

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Don't be too hard on the guy. It had to go down like this CMC is such a talented coach, he can be interviewed and take a new job at halftime, then take the time to call Herbie and tell him he is leaving Ames. So is no reason to be mad at Herbie for leaking it to the world.

Would someone tell the national media that just because a program has a storied history and a pile of money to give doesn't mean it is a good job. Its like telling someone to take a VP job at K-Mart, because it has a good history.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I love the Facebook comments on Randy Pete's articles saying Campbell is gone. I go to the person's Facebook profile and they are HaLk fans. There's a big difference between Matt Campbell is gone and You want Matt Campbell to be gone.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Trolling has replaced analysis. At this point I just see about 30 different versions of Skip Bayless on the rare occasion I turn ESPN on or see one of these attention starved carnival barkers take to the Twitter.

Despite the narrative, history is split on guys staying and building a program vs bolting when a job that is considered to be better pops up.

This staff is highly interested in doing something unprecedented, and are fully confident in their ability to do it.

• Agree
Reactions: Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I honestly think that Campbell wants to be a legend here rather than just a name somewhere else. It's hilarious how worked up hawk fans are getting, hoping he signs with someone else the minute the season is done. Hell, I'm sure they would love to get rid of limp **** in iowa city for him.

• Agree
Reactions: ExCyment

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
All you have to do at ISU, is get to a bowl game every other year. You will have a lifetime gig, like Snyder. Why go to a massive program, that has immense pressure to win over 10 games a year and compete for a national title every other year.

Is it possible to get rid of every other men's sports programs and just throw all the money at basketball and football or at least run them at bare minimum to satisfy the conference requirements. So that we can pay Coach 3 million, if he wins consistently.

Reactions: xr4ticlone

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I don’t watch espn for many reasons...but I’ll go out on a limb & guess KH & ESPn are all about those Pedophile supporters at psu

F’m all

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Is it possible to get rid of every other men's sports programs and just throw all the money at basketball and football or at least run them at bare minimum to satisfy the conference requirements. So that we can pay Coach 3 million, if he wins consistently.
Just throwing money at a sport doesn't guarantee success. If winning consistently, I'm sure they could raise the revenue for higher salaries. Need to pay the assistants as well.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I am not so sure the "process" would work as well at Ohio State as it has at ISU. The whole process thing is very structured, team and detail oriented, and not about the individual athlete. Might not sell as well to a bunch of elite athletes that have been told they are the greatest thing ever for most of their lives. It is a much better sell to the guy that is good, and wants to prove he can be part of something great. Charlie Strong was supposed to be a disciplinarian, structured system coach and look how that worked at TX.

• Useful
Reactions: ExCyment

Help Support Us

Become a patron