Tailgating for the TCU game - RV question

Hill4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 25, 2009
Minneapolis
The wife and I are interested in coming down to Ames for the TCU game and staying in an RV for the total tailgate experience. We tried to meet up with a couple of friends for the KU game, but the rain shut down the Vet lots and forced us to stay in an RV park outside of Ames. We are discussing renting an RV and trying for the RV tailgating in experience for the TCU game. Our plan would be to head down on Friday and stay through Sunday. A couple of questions.
Are the vet lots good for RV tailgating, or should we be looking to buy a pass for the donor lot? Our friends RV is not available for this weekend, so we are looking to rent an RV, has anyone ever done this and any tips?
Thanks for the help and go State!!

CYISTHEMAN1

Jan 23, 2017
I would stay in the Haunted Forest if I was you.. You can pull in anytime friday, and leave anytime on Sunday.

cypher

Jan 21, 2012
NW Iowa
We stay at the vet med. $20. Park on paved lot. Lots of cyclone fans. Good time. You can get in after 5 Friday. Leave Sunday

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Vet med lot is $20 for cars, $40 for a RV. For camping the lot opens at 5:30pm Friday and you can stay until Sunday.
We stay in vet med for every game unless it rains and always have a great time.
Last i heard, the haunted forest is over $100 per weekend.
If you can find a parking pass in the "D" lots for a decent price that would be fun too.

• Informative
Reactions: keepngoal

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Never rented an RV, but however you do it, make sure they've done the regular maintenance work on it.
Used one for a running trip this summer, and the owners had never done any maintenance, so we lacked AC and basically any amenities. I'd like to assume that a rental is maintained, but I've had rental cars that weren't. That could happen here, too.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Unless they lowered it, it is $150 for an RV in the Haunted Forest, unless it was just what they charged Hawkeye RV's for the Iowa game.

Hill4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 25, 2009
Minneapolis
We are leaning towards the vet lots. How packed will the lots be this late in the season? The weather looks dry, but cool. How difficult is it to park in the vet lots? This would be our 1st experience with an RV on our own, so hopefully not too complicated. On Renting the RV, anyone else have experience with this? We have been looking on RV share.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
You should have no problem getting into the Vet Med lots. Lots of green space to park on (when dry). We did the RV rental thing (trailer, place in Nevada was the best price we found) and it was around $500 for the weekend. This RV share thing could be interesting.

cypher

Jan 21, 2012
NW Iowa
Parking at the vet med is no problem unless closed due to rain. They only change me 20... I suppose cause I have a truck camper...big truck camper though

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Usually the 1st two games they are picky on where you park. But this late in the year only the die hards will be out with it being cold. There will be plenty of space. As long as it stays dry you should even be able to park on the pavement if you want.
I don't think I would worry about the AC. Make sure the heater and generator work for this game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron