D line, hard to believe what I am seeing

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Watching game again tonight on DVR, which I like to do after wins. Just let's you watch different things during the game.

Ray Lima is absolutely ridiculous. Tech has 2, sometimes 3 guys trying to block him, and he is just immovable. Not a flashy DT, but I can't remember a better defensive lineman. Dude just totally changes the game. Has been the same thing every game as well.

And what about Vernell Trent, dude has put in a ton of work to get where he is and is a total monster now.

Really a joy to watch these guys play.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
DE's are catching up to our play from the DTs. Love the effort of Waggoner & Bailey. Liked how Bailey popped up from missing the sack initially to sharing it with I think Waggoner.
Benton or Lensing had big time hit today, & the other guys are becoming more & more active when they are in. Coach Rasheed's unit has been getting work done for sure so far.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I cant believe how quickly that line was turned around. Think about that line at the start of last season. The O-line is taking longer to develop but it is still improving

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's quietly been a strength all season and everything else has seemed to grow around it.

Watching the replay now...whole D is really flying around.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Lima is a stud. I'm not sure what measurables are needed at the NFL level for his position, but he is a hell of a lot more imposing than guys we've had in the past. Waggoner has turned it on, and Bailey is consistently solid. They deserve a lot of credit for Lanning's surprise season. The linebackers get free shots at the backfield more often than not.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Bailey annilihated dude to force the 1st fumble off the screen pass.

He's a big dude. I had close seats for the OU game, and I was surprised how hard he hits. Body shots that aren't necessarily flashy, but they take their toll.

• Agree
Reactions: Spanky

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Watching game again tonight on DVR, which I like to do after wins. Just let's you watch different things during the game.

Ray Lima is absolutely ridiculous. Tech has 2, sometimes 3 guys trying to block him, and he is just immovable. Not a flashy DT, but I can't remember a better defensive lineman. Dude just totally changes the game. Has been the same thing every game as well.

And what about Vernell Trent, dude has put in a ton of work to get where he is and is a total monster now.

Really a joy to watch these guys play.

There was an article about him somewhere about how he bought into just plugging things up ( not accumulating tackle or sack stats).

The great thing is the DLine will only get better.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not sure if it's planned, but it almost looks like ISU's doing a bit of a rope-a-dope, letting a few yards up here and there and almost making it look like there's room, but not letting a lot happen in space.

Tech doesn't seem to know what to do if it can't go big.

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
Didn't refresh before I posted my thread. But 2 sacks, 4 TFL, and 2 FF against a good offense. Crazy how well they have recruited and developed so far under this staff. FAR exceeded my expectations.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
DE's are catching up to our play from the DTs. Love the effort of Waggoner & Bailey. Liked how Bailey popped up from missing the sack initially to sharing it with I think Waggoner.
Benton or Lensing had big time hit today, & the other guys are becoming more & more active when they are in. Coach Rasheed's unit has been getting work done for sure so far.
Agreed, but I think Waggoner needs some help with his sack celebration:
1xo7rr.gif

Right now, it looks like he's only gotten through lesson 1 with coach Diggler:
c1c807e5235657fe8d5d4b0cad926b07.400x246x41.gif

Maybe the hand movements are only taught at the graduate level?

Reactions: BigLame

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A 3-man front is owning Big 12 lines of scrimmage. It's rather unbelievable, especially at ISU.

I recall saying during the CPR era that just having disruption up front can ruin what these high flying offenses want to do. It's 3 players but they're causing fits even if they're not making the tackles and lots of other things are thrown off.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We heard for 8 years from Rhoads how impossible it was to recruit quality d linemen. It took Campbell and his staff all of about 1.5 recruiting classes to not only find and recruit guys, but to have them ready to play at a high level. Campbell's guys are mostly all young and huge too.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
We heard for 8 years from Rhoads how impossible it was to recruit quality d linemen. It took Campbell and his staff all of about 1.5 recruiting classes to not only find and recruit guys, but to have them ready to play at a high level. Campbell's guys are mostly all young and huge too.
Saying something can't be done generally guarantees that it won't.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron