*** Official College Gameday (could be) in Ames Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
[QUOTE="andybernard, post: 5881230, member:
This is the resume of the #6 team in the nation.[/QUOTE]

Yup. tOSU has only played one decent team and lost by two TDs, at home.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm going to offer a weird idea, just for the sake of discussion, and see where it goes.

Wouldn't it help them to promote more leagues than just the one, in the idea of building their own audience for multiple leagues instead of depending on just the one, or is the audience really that limited that only one is possible?

I'm just curious here. This could go a lot of valid directions.

But does anyone in the Big 12 care about TCU/ISU? Both are in the bottom 4 of fanbase sizes in the Big 12. Whens the last time Gameday went to a Big 12 game that didn't include OU, Texas or WV?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Then why the heck are they going to places like Abilene Christian and James Madison every year? Does that really bring in the raitings?

I'm not saying that they couldn't have picked us, or that they always have to go with the most visible location. I'm just saying that it's hard to blame them when they do pick the most high profile game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
But does anyone in the Big 12 care about TCU/ISU? Both are in the bottom 4 of fanbase sizes in the Big 12. Whens the last time Gameday went to a Big 12 game that didn't include OU, Texas or WV?

Fair enough.
I could see ESPN making a sensible argument that they know that PSU and OSU will be good programs going forward, and that they want to see that we aren't a flash in the pan before bothering to make that investment.
I wouldn't like hearing that argument, but I could nod in understanding.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I get that we're disappointed, but ESPN is trying to make money here. That's their goal. Osu vs Penn state is a higher profile match up. I mean, it just is. I would have loved to see us get GameDay, but it's hard to argue with their choice.

ESPN being a joke and it making good financial sense aren't mutually exclusive.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'm not saying that they couldn't have picked us, or that they always have to go with the most visible location. I'm just saying that it's hard to blame them when they do pick the most high profile game.

But if you have a good idea as far back as August (#2 vs #6 in preseason polls) that PSU/OSU in late October will be a high-profile game, don't you pencil that in first and then check out other possible sites for the early-season games?

Instead of Oklahoma/Ohio State in week 2, you also had #13 Auburn at #3 Clemson and #14 Stanford at #6 USC. Would have been a perfect chance to get the token west-coast show out of the way early.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
But if you have a good idea as far back as August (#2 vs #6 in preseason polls) that PSU/OSU in late October will be a high-profile game, don't you pencil that in first and then check out other possible sites for the early-season games?

Instead of Oklahoma/Ohio State in week 2, you also had #13 Auburn at #3 Clemson and #14 Stanford at #6 USC. Would have been a perfect chance to get the token west-coast show out of the way early.

There's no requirement to get in a west coast site. There's no rules to it at all. If they thought they could get the best ratings by having it in Iowa City every week, they would do that. It's a television program trying to get viewers. They think they can do that best with a match up of top 10 teams featuring a Heisman trophy candidate, and huge playoff implications, in college football hotbed. ESPN picking the way they did is not a slight against ISU in any way. It's a business decision.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
[QUOTE="andybernard, post: 5881230, member:
This is the resume of the #6 team in the nation.

Yup. tOSU has only played one decent team and lost by two TDs, at home.[/QUOTE]

And OU didn’t play well in that game!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There's no requirement to get in a west coast site. There's no rules to it at all. If they thought they could get the best ratings by having it in Iowa City every week, they would do that. It's a television program trying to get viewers. They think they can do that best with a match up of top 10 teams featuring a Heisman trophy candidate, and huge playoff implications, in college football hotbed. ESPN picking the way they did is not a slight against ISU in any way. It's a business decision.

I never said there was a requirement. But they have consistently thrown the west coast at least one bone per season. They could have easily done the same in early September with a pair of top-15 teams.
2016 - Seattle
2015 - Tucson
2014 - Eugene
2013 - Seattle, Eugene, and Los Angeles
2012 - Eugene, Los Angeles

I don't care that they didn't pick Iowa State. I do, however, question the decision(s) that have led to Ohio State being featured three times already this season (remember the Thursday game at Indiana?), a Saturday at no game whatsoever, and a Saturday at an FCS game -- all at the expense of some highly-ranked teams in other areas of the country.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

You seem to have an assumption that having it at the biggest game of the week drives the biggest ratings. In any given week 90+% of the fans watching wont be fans of either team. Making gameday new and interesting each week probably does more to drive ratings than simply having gameday at the site of the biggest game.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

A high-profile game that isn’t even on their network.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
So you want a television network to apologize for trying to maximize their viewership? Yep, they favor the conferences that they have a vested interest in. And?
I want GameDay to come as much as the next cyclone, but I can't fault ESPN for picking Osu. They aren't in the game to be fair to every school/conference.

They could really maximize their viewership if they focused on growing their own viewer base. And they could do that by going to some interesting, unique locations throughout the season rather than doing the same boring thing for 9 out of the 13 weeks of the season like they do when they follow the blue blood programs around like lap dogs. I'd much rather check them out when they're at a site that I haven't seen dozens of times over the years. Most of the time I flip over to ESPN on a Saturday morning and see them in Columbus, or Tuscaloosa and say to myself "this again?" and *click*.

Give me something unique and interesting to watch each week, and I'll tune in EACH week. Give me the same thing over and over, and I won't. I'm not just talking Iowa State here. I love college football in general, and I want to see the stories from across the country.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
**** ESPN. I don’t even watch it much anymore anyway.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
This is really simple. There are 5 major TV markets between Ohio and Pennsylvania including Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburg and Philadelphia, not to mention the spill over from Philly into New Jersey. Ohio abuts Michigan, Indiana and Kentucky too, with those Ohio TV markets getting viewers in those states. This decision is simple and is what we say in the TV business, "a no brainer."

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
This is really simple. There are 5 major TV markets between Ohio and Pennsylvania including Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Pittsburg and Philadelphia, not to mention the spill over from Philly into New Jersey. Ohio abuts Michigan, Indiana and Kentucky too, with those Ohio TV markets getting viewers in those states. This decision is simple and is what we say in the TV business, "a no brainer."
Yep, which is exactly why Gameday will never go to locations such as NDSU, Western Michigan, Harvard, James Madison, Baylor, Boise St, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, or even a D3 school like Williams.... oh wait.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We’re not bottom 4 in Big 12 fanbase size imo, certainly not in football. And TCU has a lot of pull in terms of Big 12 TV sets.

It would have turned some heads and been a great promotion for the program to get Gameday. We likely would have if we had taken care of business against Iowa and UT. Oh well, it’s not critical to the process and thus there will be future opportunities.

Last edited:

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA

Serious question. Do you work for ESPN?

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
It would be great if they chose Ames and we boycotted because of Kirk' s tweets. Literally 0 people. No way it could ever be organized but would be cool to send that message.
My fellow Cyclone Fanatics have, through the voting process, informed me that this was a bad idea. Doesn't matter now regardless. The concept of sending a message was overall agreeable, just not from the 0 attendance angle. I guess the method was bad even though it would've gotten a ton of talk.