In memoriam of Brian Ferentz as Iowa's OC

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
OU started out hot and very OU-like. Got pretty lax going into half. Came out not fired up in the second half, started making mistakes, defense disappeared (ISU's didn't impress, either, but they did get better as the game went on and they changed schemes after halftime), shot themselves in the foot multiple times with penalties and giving up big, big plays.

Walk-on QB Kempt throws for 75%, 350 and 3 TDs. Lanning played a few series at QB as well, drove down the field at least once. He also recorded a sack, a TFL, and a fumble recovery at our own 5 or so (arguably the turning point of the game). Offensive scheme was pretty simple and very balanced, involved Montgomery both in the run and in the pass game. It was consistent and for the most part pretty aggressive. ISU did a good job keeping the offense on the field, only lost the TOP battle ~29-31 and raked in about 450 yards on offense.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400934523

Thanks for the summary. My ISU friends were pretty pumped last night, rightfully so. Wish I would have meet them out for the 11 am games, but I had too much going on at the home front and only managed to watch the Hawks.

What are expectations going forward now? All off season I had said ISU was a Bowl team and it looks like I was right. I think ISU could easily finish out with 4 wins.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Got a personal life and family obligations that interferes at times. I’ll make 6 of the 7 home games this year, but this weekend was always a no go for me.

Gotcha. Better off for the Iowa fans that didn't go so they could watch the ISU game

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Gotcha. Better off for the Iowa fans that didn't go so they could watch the ISU game

But I didn’t watch any of it outside after the Hawk game was over.

You still think ISU wins 5 games? I think they can get to 7 now. I have always been a believer in CMC that he could get this team to a Bowl game. Why have you doubted him?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
But I didn’t watch any of it outside after the Hawk game was over.

You still think ISU wins 5 games? I think they can get to 7 now. I have always been a believer in CMC that he could get this team to a Bowl game. Why have you doubted him?

Well that was stupid on your part. Yeah I'll stand by 5-7, think this team is still a year away. I do agree with you though that CMC is an elite coach

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Thanks for the summary. My ISU friends were pretty pumped last night, rightfully so. Wish I would have meet them out for the 11 am games, but I had too much going on at the home front and only managed to watch the Hawks.

What are expectations going forward now? All off season I had said ISU was a Bowl team and it looks like I was right. I think ISU could easily finish out with 4 wins.
I have no idea, honestly. Do we have a QB controversy now (Christ, I hope not)? Did we fundamentally change our offense (how did we go from the Texas s***show at full strength to beating OU in Norman with injuries to starters in both sides)? There's more winnable games on the schedule -- Kansas and Baylor are still the two obvious must-wins. The thing I don't like from here on out is that multiple games in the "winnable" category are away games -- WVU (who looks good), TT (who looks okay-ish), KSU (who doesn't look that good) all away. Home is TCU (who looks good) and OSU (who looks good). Our options are either taking another away game W, or staging a big upset at home for win 6.

I think the fact does remain that after Texas, many fans had wrote off the idea of going to a bowl, but beating OU has actually put us back on track (assuming most people saw 3-1 going into Norman, followed by a loss there). For that to happen, laying an egg against the easy teams cannot occur, and they have to continue doing what they did in Norman. Yesterday, they played a full 4 quarters, the play-calling and coaching decisions were good (didn't get too conservative/play to not lose at the end), the players executed at a high level, all the parts and pieces of a complete team and a complete game were there -- even without a starting LB and a starting QB. The question now is how well they can replicate this performance in the future.

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwins

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Iowa's currently not in the top 100 in total offense but hey, Brian did well in his Super Bowl so all is well with him!

82nd in yards per play....not good, but better than last year. Add to that a 1st year starting QB and Iowa losing its two senior starting OTs and it's not difficult to see why the offense has struggled at times. Play calling has actually been pretty good and the concepts in the passing game are worlds better than previous years. I'm getting a 2008 vibe from this year's team and think they will finish strong. Lots of young players on offense gaining more confidence and experience by the week.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
82nd in yards per play....not good, but better than last year. Add to that a 1st year starting QB and Iowa losing its two senior starting OTs and it's not difficult to see why the offense has struggled at times. Play calling has actually been pretty good and the concepts in the passing game are worlds better than previous years. I'm getting a 2008 vibe from this year's team and think they will finish strong. Lots of young players on offense gaining more confidence and experience by the week.

More like you only play bad teams so far. Wisky and OSU are only reasonably tough games left. Kirk will leap frog one team to pick of one of the aforementioned teams, so if you finish worse than 5-1, Kirk peed it down his leg.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
More like you only play bad teams so far. Wisky and OSU are only reasonably tough games left. Kirk will leap frog one team to pick of one of the aforementioned teams, so if you finish worse than 5-1, Kirk peed it down his leg.

Haha, you just called ISU a bad team.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
I'm going to make sure to post in this thread so I can come back to it in a few years. I have a feeling it's going to make most of you look pretty stupid.
I hope he makes it that long. A lot of pitchforks and torches being wielded already.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron