Kempt deserves to start the rest of the year

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
There's no doubt that when/if Park comes back this season he is the more talented QB. However it's pretty clear that the team for whatever reason plays better with Kempt at the helm. I was firmly in the Park camp before, but you can't argue with the results. I'm hopeful Jacob can get back this season, but if he does it should be in the backup role, Kyle has earned the start the rest of the way.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
There's no doubt that when/if Park comes back this season he is the more talented QB. However it's pretty clear that the team for whatever reason plays better with Kempt at the helm. I was firmly in the Park camp before, but you can't argue with the results. I'm hopeful Jacob can get back this season, but if he does it should be in the backup role, Kyle has earned the start the rest of the way.
Agreed

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
yes, he is doing exactly what ISU needs. Completing the easy passes and not make many mistakes. Park has more talent, but Kempt is so smart out there, and he does throw good enough to get it done. I have been very impressed with the way he has handle everything.

Can't see Park coming back as the starter at this point in time, but you have to have someone for next year.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
With the team playing and working together so well, it makes one wonder if Campbell saw something in Kempt that he wasn't seeing in Park. Which Park saw coming. Just me thinking out loud. Either way, Kempt needs to stay at QB1.

Reactions: riceville98

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
We scored 24 on one of the worst defenses in the conference. If he performs well next weekend give him the keys but so far it's been a huge upset and two wins against teams that will finish in the basement of the conference.

OU: excellent
KU: Impossible to tell with how bad conditions were
TTU: Very average

TCU? Very good defensively and they have 3 games of film on him. If he can make adjustments we might be sitting pretty. If he goes Park against Texas people will turn on him just as fast as they did Park.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2Xclone and cdface

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
We scored 24 on one of the worst defenses in the conference. If he performs well next weekend give him the keys but so far it's been a huge upset and two wins against teams that will finish in the basement of the conference.

OU: excellent
KU: Impossible to tell with how bad conditions were
TTU: Very average

TCU? Very good defensively and they have 3 games of film on him. If he can make adjustments we might be sitting pretty. If he goes Park against Texas people will turn on him just as fast as they did Park.

He had 3 touchdowns at half of that very average performance and a fluke int. The strategy was very clearly to take the air out of the ball in the second half and reduce the number of possessions. It was a little disappointing the offense didn't score in the second half, but they were executing the strategy the coaches laid out for them.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It will be a different test next week, but Kempt looks capable. He took some shots today and was on target. All 3 touchdowns were great throws. Even got screwed out of a rushing TD. We will have to protect him next week to have a shot.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
He had 3 touchdowns at half of that very average performance and a fluke int. The strategy was very clearly to take the air out of the ball in the second half and reduce the number of possessions. It was a little disappointing the offense didn't score in the second half, but they were executing the strategy the coaches laid out for them.

The game plan was sound. There were a couple drops and a couple PI calls that were not made that would have kept drives alive. Ended the game 3rd and goal at the 3, so if points were important, they could have got a few more.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I agree completely, and it's not even Park's fault, and he's still probably a more talented QB. It's just these coaches make better game plans and coach better with Kempt.
I don't think the game plans are different between the two QBs... The difference is that Kempt doesn't try to make risky big plays, but instead gets the ball to the open player for them to make the play. We have great skill positions, we just need someone to get the ball to them when they get open.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I don't think the game plans are different between the two QBs... The difference is that Kempt doesn't try to make risky big plays, but instead gets the ball to the open player for them to make the play. We have great skill positions, we just need someone to get the ball to them when they get open.

Did you watch the same Texas game that I did? With Park's big arm and Texas' run stopping they decided to put the entire game on Park's shoulders and DM got 6 touches the entire game. With Park out the next week we relied on DM more and we beat the #3 team. With Kempt in the coaches remember he's on the team.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Did you watch the same Texas game that I did? With Park's big arm and Texas' run stopping they decided to put the entire game on Park's shoulders and DM got 6 touches the entire game. With Park out the next week we relied on DM more and we beat the #3 team. With Kempt in the coaches remember he's on the team.
Yes and I guarantee that was the game plan. Hit deep for the one on one's with our huge receivers.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I agree completely, and it's not even Park's fault, and he's still probably a more talented QB. It's just these coaches make better game plans and coach better with Kempt.

I think a lot of it is that winning with Kempt is playing efficiently and somewhat conservatively. Which fits the current team better as we learn how to win games. Park overall is a better QB but he was way more aggressive and I dont think the rest of the current team was ready for that yet (i.e. dropped passes).