NBA: ***Official 2017-2018 Regular Season Thread***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Lonzo is going to have a big target on his back every game. Especially when Daddy makes a post game comment ( why is he still a thing?) saying " who is Patrick Beverley" after they lost to the Clippers lol

The Clips are going to be a little better than I thought if Blake Griffin can stay on the floor.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Lonzo looked about how I thought he would look. PG in the NBA is a loaded position and things aren't going to be easy for him. He struggled against Fox last year because of Fox's athleticism and quickness and the NBA is filled with athletic PGs. I think he will still be good this year distributing but I don't see him being an effective scorer yet in the league. Kind of ridiculous how much pressure is on him to, a lot of it put on by his Dad's big mouth.

Was 90% convinced he'll be a bust, moved it to 90%+.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It doesn't help him any that he was so hyped up and a lot of people got a little too excited about the Lakers. They're still really, really young and really, really bad. They're at Phoenix tonight. I'll be curious to see how they bounce back. Phoenix is trash, too.

They're just brutal.

Excess hype across the board doesn't help but good god the Lakers are bad.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
at least lonzo rebounded well, because we all know in the NBA you look for your point guards to rebound. On a serious note I really how the lakers suck this year. Their fans were getting out of hand acting like the summer league championship really meant something.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
at least lonzo rebounded well, because we all know in the NBA you look for your point guards to rebound. On a serious note I really how the lakers suck this year. Their fans were getting out of hand acting like the summer league championship really meant something.

Wait, is Kyle Kouzma really not the legit MVP favorite?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Was 90% convinced he'll be a bust, moved it to 90%+.

It depends on how you define bust. I don't think he'll ever be an MVP candidate because there are certain limitations to his game - relative lack of athleticism, funky shot delivery that he might not be able to get off against an elite defender, and he's not great off the dribble or getting into the lane.

But his court sense and vision are outstanding and help make up for those deficiencies. Give him a little time to develop and surround him with some talent, and he'll make plays. There's All-Star upside to his game.

I wouldn't put too much stock in one game, especially when he was up against one of the best on-ball defenders in the league who was clearly trying to make a point.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That's always the big question for LAC, I feel haha

True enough, although they were right to move on from the Chris Paul era. I know he kind of forced their hand, but still, kudos to them for moving quickly on it once he made it clear he wanted out and getting the best deal they could from a weak leverage point.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
It depends on how you define bust. I don't think he'll ever be an MVP candidate because there are certain limitations to his game - relative lack of athleticism, funky shot delivery that he might not be able to get off against an elite defender, and he's not great off the dribble or getting into the lane.

But his court sense and vision are outstanding and help make up for those deficiencies. Give him a little time to develop and surround him with some talent, and he'll make plays. There's All-Star upside to his game.

I wouldn't put too much stock in one game, especially when he was up against one of the best on-ball defenders in the league who was clearly trying to make a point.

That's a lot of stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That's a lot of stuff.

Yeah, it is. But consider the positives, too. He has incredible court vision and awareness. Some guys just see the floor better and react a half second faster, and he's one of them. And he makes teammates better. That UCLA offense last year was ridiculously good, and he was the engine. I'm not usually too big on the intangibles argument, but I know that a pass first playmaker is almost always going to have a spot on the court because of he can do for a team's offense and chemistry.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm torn on Lonzo. He seems like an OK kid. Never been in trouble, plays the right way, seems to be a good teammate. With that said, there was some part of me that really enjoyed Beverly harassing him last night.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm torn on Lonzo. He seems like an OK kid. Never been in trouble, plays the right way, seems to be a good teammate. With that said, there was some part of me that really enjoyed Beverly harassing him last night.

I don't think anyone has a problem with Lonzo. Like you said, he's never been in trouble and by all accounts he's a good teammate who really looks to make everyone around him better. He'll probably never quite live up to the hype, but that's hardly his fault. I think he'll have a long and productive career.

The issue is his self-promoting blowhard jag of a father.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Bet Melo enjoys being on the good side of a game involving the knicks. If Olympic Melo shows up this season OKC will be a dangerous team.
I checked out the box score and was not surprised to see that Melo's +/- was +0 while Paul George and Russell Westbrook's were +28 and +21. He just doesn't make a team better.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Pacers @ OKC tonight for PG's first game against his former team. The early line is OKC -14.5, which seems kind of high. I'd feel better about it if Myles Turner was a go for the game, but it sounds like he's going to miss at least a couple more days in the concussion protocol. The early returns on Dipo and Sabonis in Indiana have been better than expected. At least for now that trade doesn't look nearly as bad as it did a few months ago.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Can't believe the Cavs gave up 112 points to Chicago. Luckily they put them away. This next one could threaten the run for 0-82 as Atlanta is also pitiful at 1-3.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Can't believe the Cavs gave up 112 points to Chicago. Luckily they put them away. This next one could threaten the run for 0-82 as Atlanta is also pitiful at 1-3.

It's OK. Once college basketball season starts you can get all hyped about the players the Bulls are tanking for. Hang in there! Just think about Porter or Bagley in Chicago next year. Or they could go international and roll the dice on Luka Doncic.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron