Friday OT #2 - That's Not A Thing

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I was born in Cincinnati where my mom was raised. She called green peppers mangoes. When I was in eighth grade while living in the Detroit area, I got into quite the argument with a teacher over what a mango was.

I have since verified on the Internet that people in Cincinnati and other Midwestern areas call green peppers mangoes.

WTF?

• Funny
Reactions: urb1

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
most of the time when people say they are "weary" of something, they are actually "leery" of it.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
My gf used to call drawers "driers." It took me 5 years to get her to stop saying it like that. Probably the biggest achievement in my life to this point.

Reactions: khardbored

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
@cyclones500 gave me this great idea. We had the misheard lyrics a few weeks ago - this is similar, but not the same.

What are some words that either you or someone else have misheard and/or misused either as a child or an adult?

I have several grown-ass adult coworkers who say "leg-ins" instead of "leggings." One of them also says "at nauseum" instead of "ad nauseum" (which is understandable, but don't say it if you don't know what it is) and "alt-a-nator" instead of "alternator."

I remember that I had read the word "reverie" when I was about 8 or so, and liked it so I started using it appropriately. Except I had never heard it aloud, so I kept saying "rev-i-erre."

What are some of yours?

I had seen "epitome" in books many times before I decided to use it in real life. My mom still jokes about my use of "ep-i-tome" and subsequently DH as well.

We shouldn't suffer mockery just because we were well-read children, harrumph!

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008

"When I first read the word Houston, I pronounced it “HOW-sten.” I think that’s normal for a 5-year-old — although I was 16 at the time. "

That's actually how it's pronounced in New York.City. (The street in Manhattan, that is)

And I have trouble with car / bus parks instead of parking lot in foreign places.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: cyclones500

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
I don't want to hijack the thread. I would PM to Angie but don't know how.

There is a class of misuse that I call homophonic malaprops. The most basic is just simply using the wrong word.
"Hopefully Talley can be a good teammate and tow the line."
(this could easily be a typo - e<>w) It also could make a bit of sense as in doing one's part.

Then there is the cultural misunderstanding. "Beyond the pail". A pale is a vertical stake in a palisade wall and the term "beyond the pale" means outside the accepted bounds.

Trump mocking the disabled reporter was beyond the pale.

I have others, most from this "sight".
it pains me to reference a hawk but bare with me

Tony Gunk

Jul 12, 2017
NE Iowa
How can you get something "for" free? You can get something for a dollar, or two dollars, but please explain how I can give free in exchange for something?

It annoys me when an announcer says a pass was too tall instead of too high.

Also, anytime less and fewer are used incorrectly...
"This defense have given up less than seven points a game."

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
How can you get something "for" free? You can get something for a dollar, or two dollars, but please explain how I can give free in exchange for something?

It annoys me when an announcer says a pass was too tall instead of too high.

Also, anytime less and fewer are used incorrectly...
"This defense have given up less than seven points a game."

How about when someone "leaves their feet?"

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
There is a class of misuse that I call homophonic malaprops. The most basic is just simply using the wrong word.
"Hopefully Talley can be a good teammate and tow the line."
(this could easily be a typo - e<>w) It also could make a bit of sense as in doing one's part.

Then there is the cultural misunderstanding. "Beyond the pail". A pale is a vertical stake in a palisade wall and the term "beyond the pale" means outside the accepted bounds.

Trump mocking the disabled reporter was beyond the pale.

I have others, most from this "sight".
it pains me to reference a hawk but bare with me

Excellent overview.

Unlike many examples in the thread, none of those would count as mistakes when spoken, because obviously you can't detect a homonym. It's only in written form that it's "misspoken."

Amusing admission: I initially misread "homophonic" as "homophobic."

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I had seen "epitome" in books many times before I decided to use it in real life. My mom still jokes about my use of "ep-i-tome" and subsequently DH as well.

We shouldn't suffer mockery just because we were well-read children, harrumph!

I forgot - I did the same with epitome! You’re right - it isn’t our fault we are well-read!

Reactions: harimad

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
You will need to "site" your sources for this one please...

He is most likely referring to HROT - Hawkeye Report Off Topic. Many years ago a poster referred to an opposing basketball player as a "Want of Bee" instead of "Wannabe" and was quite serious about it. This turned into a whole class of malaprops that lasted years. They formed a committee and had rulings on what classified as a WoB.

Basically they were just a bunch of Pre-Madonnas, but it was entertaining.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron