Lanning at QB.......

GuyMcPerson

Sep 6, 2016
Defenses are cheating up and stacking the box on Lanram. Time for some 1 on 1 jumpballs with no safety help...Lazard or Butler might be good canidates for such a play I suppose.

Also, there were a couple longer runs that Joel had last week (I believe 1 went for 13 yards) where they took out Montgomery and went double h-back with Seonbuckner and Soehner. Plus a pull guard. Helluva stampede through the hole.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
While I agree the offense stumbled...the most important stat is points per game. They used the offense to flip field position and then scored points.

30 PPG against conference foes
41.3 PPG overall
Very good numbers
Points per game is the most important, but that was mostly due to the defense and ST than the offense. Our offense did nothing to start the game.

I'm not criticizing the game plan, it was good, but the execution against a poor KU defense was not good. I'm not surprised, though, as unfortunately we're not physically equipped to do that. It is cautionary though, as the coaching staff has to work very hard to manufacture what is normally a building block to an offense.

GuyMcPerson

Sep 6, 2016
1:03 mark is a really good play to run off the QB draws. Sneak out the lead blocker for a pass. And I have a feeling that Montgomery could be quite a bit more impactful than Winston Dimel.

Montgomery-Magic

Oct 17, 2017
It seems like it's been run right or run left when Lanning is at QB. Defenses know what's going to happen when he's in the game. But.....has anyone else besides me been waiting for him to fake the run and then step back and hit Lazard or Butler deep? I've been calling it the last 2 games and it hasn't happened. SOUNDS like a great play but maybe not.

Discuss!

I think we need to get Lanning warmed up with a few passes, get him comfortable in the pocket. I believe he went 2 for 3 for 30 yards against OU.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Even if Lanning's offensive play has been largely runs, defenses still need to keep themselves honest in the event of a throw. Lanning is like a box of chocolates...you know the rest.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Even if Lanning's offensive play has been largely runs, defenses still need to keep themselves honest in the event of a throw. Lanning is like a box of chocolates...you know the rest.
He melts if you leave him in the sun?

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
He melts if you leave him in the sun?
giphy.gif

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Although the weather wasn't great and the game plan likely limited, the offense for the KU game wasn't good. 16 of the first 36 plays went for 2 yards or less, 9 of the first 15 passes resulted in either a sack, incompletion, or catch for no gain. 4.2 yards per play is really bad, particularly against KU. On the season, even with the bump we gave them, KU's defense is 124 out of 130 in opponents yards per play.

Offense was largely bland and unexciting for the most part. That's true. But ISU also held Kansas 29 points under its season average.

It was a defense and special-teams day, and that's all that was required in that situation. A streamlined game for offense could've made it 59-0 or 63-0, all other things being equal. Not worried. If sputtering becomes a trend, it could be a problem.

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I think the offensive game plan for KU was to not give Tech anything to game plan for. Further, I think the Montgomery to Lanning play is an even bigger setup for Montgomery to someone else. If Joel releases out of the backfield again after a handoff to Montgomery, everyone will bite on Joel.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The play calling and execution against Kansas was darn near perfect for the weather and the game situation. KU was self destructing from the start and our defense was dominate. The only way Kansas had a chance is if we let them. As GTO said, "Ever play football in the rain?"

In years past, we would have played like Kansas.
No one criticized the play calling. To say the execution on offense was damn near perfect is silly.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
It seems like it's been run right or run left when Lanning is at QB. Defenses know what's going to happen when he's in the game. But.....has anyone else besides me been waiting for him to fake the run and then step back and hit Lazard or Butler deep? I've been calling it the last 2 games and it hasn't happened. SOUNDS like a great play but maybe not.

Discuss!

Manning will have passed for him soon. Play action, boots, and even a drop back. Joel doesn’t have a ton of time to rep on offense but his experience is the key. It’s coming!

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
One option pass was called for lanning against ou. He didn't like what he saw and tucked it and ran for a couple.

Help Support Us

Become a patron