Save the date: All eyes on 2023 for conference realignment

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I couldn't find an original thread regarding realignment but wanted to get some thoughts on something...

If the Big 12 had decided to go with divisions for the start of this years football season, I think our chances at a Big 12 title game would be a real possibility, depending how divisions were set up.

Not sure if they would have done it geological or what but,,

ISU, KSU, KU, OSU, OU ???

I'm not sure, but having a tiebreaker of OU would have helped.

I'm just speculating here and trying to have a little fun with a "What If"

If I remember right... when the Big 12 was kicking around the idea of divisions they were going to have the option to realign the league every couple of years to keep things balanced out.

I never really understood what the point of divisions was though. We already have a round robin schedule, so really the divisions would be pretty pointless. The conference made the right call with just taking the top 2 teams.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I couldn't find an original thread regarding realignment but wanted to get some thoughts on something...

If the Big 12 had decided to go with divisions for the start of this years football season, I think our chances at a Big 12 title game would be a real possibility, depending how divisions were set up.

Still a (mathematical) possibility ;)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I never really understood what the point of divisions was though. We already have a round robin schedule, so really the divisions would be pretty pointless.

Divisions could have been used for scheduling purposes. Take 1/4/5/8/9 and 2/3/6/7/10 (based on the previous X number of years). Play the "cross-division" games early and the division games late. The round-robin schedule stays in effect, and it reduces the likelihood of the conference championship being a rematch of 1-2 weeks prior.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't believe any of this until I hear it from the dude.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Big 12: Do you want to form an alliance, with me?

Pac 12: Absolutely, I do.

Don't let the SEC and B1G propaganda machines fool you, the Big 12 is in very healthy shape. If the Pac 12 doesn't figure things out then they will have two choices.

1.) Form an alliance/merger with the Big 12
2.) Get cherry picked

Reactions: TXCyclones

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I'm guessing the reason it wasn't done "geological" is that they felt stuck between a rock and a hard place.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Former members of the dissolved Galactic Senate, Wookies, the Mon Calamari, Jedi-in-hiding, and maybe some Ewoks.

I see you left out the Bothans. Well, they all died procuring the battle station plans anyway, so maybe that's for the best.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
If I remember right... when the Big 12 was kicking around the idea of divisions they were going to have the option to realign the league every couple of years to keep things balanced out.

I never really understood what the point of divisions was though. We already have a round robin schedule, so really the divisions would be pretty pointless. The conference made the right call with just taking the top 2 teams.

Round Robin kills Big 12 chances for a playoff berth. Right now Texas has the top SOS according to what the playoff committee uses at #37 and it gets worse as the season goes on. (from @cfbmatrix, can't link it form work) Remember in the eyes of the committee beating a 7-5 Akron is more impressive then beating a 5-7 KSU. Go to 8 league games and you take away a loss for half the Big 12 schools. You want wins against .500 or better teams.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Who are the 16 teams? Currently the 5 conferences have 66 members:

ACC - 15
SEC - 14
B1G - 14
Pac 12 - 12
Big 12 - 10
Independent - BYU (ND counted in ACC)
TOTAL: 66

Do two get left out?

No reason 16 is a magic number. Essentially that's two 8-team leagues, right? They play round-robin on their side and 2 from the other side. And the top on each side goes to the conference title game.

Well, make a few of them 9 team leagues, and only play 1 from the other side. Or play 10 conf games and make it 2 from the other side. Eight 9-team divisions is 72 teams -- plenty.

The practical effect is the superconferences will actually be smaller that what we have now in practice. Your "half" of the conference will really be your conference. Think of it not as 4 superconferences, but as 8 properly sized, each with an alliance.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

I still think this is more likely than many think because of TV money. Perhaps we mutually part ways with West Virginia and they find a home in the ACC, then we have a 21-school mega conference/alliance/whatever you want to call it with the Pac-12. 20 game basketball schedule and three divisions of 7 in football with some way to determine which division champion doesn't make the CCG.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

fb9f5bf67529029831c5d83dfe9e59a9.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron