Bulls are already a cluster ****...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He's obviously not a good NBA coach. However, he's a big boy, he did everything he wanted to do at ISU, and he's doing what he wants to do now. For the love of God I cannot figure out why people hold that against him.
I only criticize him for making Chizik's departure look good. He should have left before he quit.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I hate to agree with jsb on a Hoiberg thread, however she's right. It was well-known about the issues with that front office and that aging oft-injured roster. If you're a hot commodity in the NCAA and rumored for every NBA coaching gig, he could have waited to pick his spot, one with an easier and more obvious chance for success.

I am sorry but they aren't giving the Spurs, Warriors, Lebron's Cavs to Hoiberg. They have had their front office issues but they haven't been horrible as other orgs.
He felt the timing was right for him. It was also good timing for ISU so that a coach could take over and be successful right away. He got a middle of the road org. with a middle of the road roster for $25 million over 5 years. That is what is called making out pretty good.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
tbh, that was the reason why I thought he'd stay at ISU when all the rumors were swirling. But they must've told him something to make him believe they'd be there to help him

Well of course they told him something. I’m just surprised he bought it. He obviously knows Gar and I don’t. But the man has always seemed like a rat.

In a way, it is a smart move by Fred. Reinsdorf won’t fire Gar because the wives are friends. Gar won’t fire Fred because he’d have to admit he’s wrong. So they’ll continue to go in circles.

There was an article in the paper about Doug Collins, who was brought in by the owner as a consultant, he was apparently appalled that the feud between Portis and Niko was allowed to fester for 2 plus years. That’s on gar and Paxton and Fred. I suspect that if Collins tries to push gar out, gar will turn on Fred so fast.

But, like I’ve said, Fred’s a good coach. I’m surprised he hasn’t been successful. I’m sure he’ll return to the mean eventually. He must be pretty miserable because he sure seemed miserable when he lost here.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Do you mean he should have left sooner?

He should have left when he decided he didn’t want to do half his job . It would have sucked to miss those last two years because they were tons of fun and it was cool being the darling of college basketball but his successor would have been grateful.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
He should have left when he decided he didn’t want to do half his job . It would have sucked to miss those last two years because they were tons of fun and it was cool being the darling of college basketball but his successor would have been grateful.
dumb

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
You all do realize the Bulls organization is trying to NOT win this year, right?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You all do realize the Bulls organization is trying to NOT win this year, right?

Of course. And you can read the takes of plenty of bulls people that they are going about tanking wrong.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Well he never really had a chance to go there...

He did, Golden State was interested but he shut it down before it really got going.

If you remember, Kerr didnt have any type of coaching experience at the time of his hire. It was a really risky hire that ended up working out, but dont think for a second that if Hoiberg wanted to go there he wouldn't have been in the running for the job. Hoiberg was one the highest sought after coaches after guiding ISU to a sweet 16 and due to his NBA style coaching style.

Dont forget that GSW wasnt a sexy job then either, they just came off a 6 seed in the West and before that had made the playoffs only 2 times in 19 seasons. He had a chance to be the HC there if he had wanted it.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well of course they told him something. I’m just surprised he bought it. He obviously knows Gar and I don’t. But the man has always seemed like a rat.

In a way, it is a smart move by Fred. Reinsdorf won’t fire Gar because the wives are friends. Gar won’t fire Fred because he’d have to admit he’s wrong. So they’ll continue to go in circles.

There was an article in the paper about Doug Collins, who was brought in by the owner as a consultant, he was apparently appalled that the feud between Portis and Niko was allowed to fester for 2 plus years. That’s on gar and Paxton and Fred. I suspect that if Collins tries to push gar out, gar will turn on Fred so fast.

But, like I’ve said, Fred’s a good coach. I’m surprised he hasn’t been successful. I’m sure he’ll return to the mean eventually. He must be pretty miserable because he sure seemed miserable when he lost here.

I was just going to say -- obvious tanking is obvious. Do it while you still can.

If the Bulls are committed to Fred through a "the process" rebuild, starting this year with a Top 5 or Top 3 pick in the draft next summer, then it might work out okay.

I think Fred would do better with a young, hungry team with talent he can mold into his system instead of an old roster full of malcontents who needed Thibs to be an absolute @****** to them to get them to produce (and yet they liked it somehow).

Assuming they stick with him, and that they can round up talent like did Milwaukee, Minnesota, and Philadelphia, this could end well for him.

Assuming they can round up the talent like that and Fred does not become the sacrificial lamb in what could be a long and painful rebuilding process.

They are starting from scratch now.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm just saying, Stevens has been regarded as a great coach throughout his career even though they were in complete rebuild from the moment he got there and molded it with his ideas in mind. Fred got to Chicago, and the front office rather than tanking or throwing money to get solid paces that fit their system, they threw crazy amounts of money at guys who are the exact opposite of what Hoiberg has had success with. And even with that he still is over .500. Now, not saying he has killed the NBA coaching game, but I really don't think it is fair to blame Fred for those last 2 teams. Now, if he can't show any strides from the beginning of this year to the end people have a right to start getting antsy, but this is essentially the situation in which Stevens came into in Boston, just 2 years later. I think he deserves at least 1 more year with this core group of young guys to prove he can do something with them. After next year if they aren't in the playoffs you have to ax him.

All that being said, something has to change with GarPax, and I think it will now that they have an unbiased 3rd party opinion in there that will hopefully lead to one or both of them being pushed out

So what exactly SHOULD Fred be held accountable for? I'd think locker room cancers, fist fights, etc... are EXACTLY what should be on his list of responsibilities. If the only thing you will hold him to is Xs and Os,then he's not really a head coach.

He can't pick his team but he knew EVERYTHING about what and who he was jumping in bed with. At the very least, he is responsible for what the players do in practice and on the court and that product has been wanting.

The guy's dream was to coach in the NBA. We can all stand back and take shots for him going to the Bulls - but Fred is living his dream of coaching in the NBA. It's not every day a childhood dream comes true. Good on him for taking the challenge.

• Useful
Reactions: srjclone