Beer Vacations

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
New Glarus, WI, followed by Monroe, WI and finishing with Potosi, WI is a nice brew tour that's not too far away. (Plus obligatory cheese stop along the way!)

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

TarCy

Oct 11, 2015
Lawrence KS
NC is the Colorado of the east. Easily could spend a week hitting up different breweries from the outer banks all the way to Asheville. Stops in Kinston with Mother Earth. Raleigh has Gizmo Brewing Company, Chapel Hill for Top of the Hill, among about 5-6 other quality spots in the triangle. Then make your way to Winston Salem for foothills and a seeing double DIPA.

Charlotte is the beer capital. Birdsong, NODA, sycamore, wooden robot, old meck breweries are my favorites among the 18 currently in Charlotte.

Make your way to Asheville for green man, Sierra Nevada, wicked weed and Burial. Can’t go wrong.

Just my two cents from a Native Tarheel.

LA has a growing beer scene, and VA is another great state for some quality breweries.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
This is #1 on my list as well.

Trillium, Maine Beer Co., Alchemist, ... wow, I'm thirsty.

Yeah I am with you. Tree House would be my #1 so I would have to hit that. Vermont I would have to go to Frost, Hill Farmstead and Lawson's along with Alchemist.

• Agree
Reactions: AmesHawk

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'd really like to go down to the Florida area and hit Cigar City, Cycle, Angry Chair, Garagiste Meadery.

Ideally, I'd love to go to Belgium some time and hit Cantillon and all the other lambic brewers and blenders.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
NC is the Colorado of the east. Easily could spend a week hitting up different breweries from the outer banks all the way to Asheville. Stops in Kinston with Mother Earth. Raleigh has Gizmo Brewing Company, Chapel Hill for Top of the Hill, among about 5-6 other quality spots in the triangle. Then make your way to Winston Salem for foothills and a seeing double DIPA.

Charlotte is the beer capital. Birdsong, NODA, sycamore, wooden robot, old meck breweries are my favorites among the 18 currently in Charlotte.

Make your way to Asheville for green man, Sierra Nevada, wicked weed and Burial. Can’t go wrong.

Just my two cents from a Native Tarheel.

LA has a growing beer scene, and VA is another great state for some quality breweries.
Pretty sure Asheville is becoming, if not already, the beer capital.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Here is a "study" on Micro-Brew capitals of the nation. Kinda interesting as you can base the rankings off of Quantity and Quality on a chart, and when you slide it from quality to quantity the cities start to shift to give you a better idea of the per-capita argument, to the "quality brew" argument. Obviously there is some things probably not gathered in here, but overall a pretty cool and well done website.

https://pudding.cool/2017/04/beer/

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Fort Collins, CO or Asheville, NC.

Mountains and beer either way.

My wife came with me to Greensboro for a work trip, so we took a few extra days and checked out Asheville. Honestly, I hadn't heard much about it before, but it felt like we were in Fort Collins when we got there.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Currently living in Fort Collins, A+ but wish I could get down to Denver and it’s burbs more. Asheville is at the top of my list right now also but more for the biking

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I'm in Frankfurt right now, had some good beer the last few days in Denmark, Netherlands and Germany. My only regret is I'll probably miss the TT game. Can't find anywhere to watch FS1. Also, no IPAs in sight unless I go to the grocery store, which is too bad.

Reactions: dmclone

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Heading to Fort Collins tomorrow. Plan on visiting WeldWerks on Friday and New Belgium and Odell on Saturday.

On a side note, needed a new cooler for the trip so I went and bought one of these https://www.epi-roto.com/kong-coolers/ Before yesterday, I had no clue these were made in Atlantic. They even have cyclones colors.

Heads up if you haven't seen it yet but Odell and NB are reservation and walk up. Wait for walk up could be up to an hour based on group size.

Smaller breweries are in town are just walk up and have been filling up fast on the weekend too.

Odell definitely has the best setup: Once you order your first beer at the bar and start a tab, they seat you, and just text them for another beer when you are ready and they deliver in a couple minutes.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Heads up if you haven't seen it yet but Odell and NB are reservation and walk up. Wait for walk up could be up to an hour based on group size.

Smaller breweries are in town are just walk up and have been filling up fast on the weekend too.

Odell definitely has the best setup: Once you order your first beer at the bar and start a tab, they seat you, and just text them for another beer when you are ready and they deliver in a couple minutes.

Good info.

We have reservations for WeldWerks and NB. Planning on hitting Odell right when they open up.

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The Decorah area is a great option for Iowa folks looking to do a beer long weekend as opposed to a beer vacation. Biked the Prairie Farmer trail yesterday and hit Pivo in Calmar. By next summer, Vernon Springs Brewing in Cresco should be up and running, which would give that bike trail breweries at each end. Tie that into hitting the Decorah breweries and you could have a great beer weekend with lots of outdoor possibilities worked into the mix.

Reactions: jdolson and RogerQC

RogerQC

Mar 5, 2014
Quad Cities
The Decorah area is a great option for Iowa folks looking to do a beer long weekend as opposed to a beer vacation. Biked the Prairie Farmer trail yesterday and hit Pivo in Calmar. By next summer, Vernon Springs Brewing in Cresco should be up and running, which would give that bike trail breweries at each end. Tie that into hitting the Decorah breweries and you could have a great beer weekend with lots of outdoor possibilities worked into the mix.
Love the Decorah area. Pulpit Rock is great beer, Toppling Goliath amazing for a little town !
Cool waterfalls to visit also.