Sioux County Iowa - Population Growth

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Threads about Sioux County bruh.

Sioux City & Sioux County are really ****ing far apart on the spectrum. What spectrum, you ask? Pick one...
My reading skill suck today as I'm very hungover and really attempting to keep it together.

You're telling me there's a difference between Sioux City, and Sioux County and that Sioux County, while sharing the name Sioux, was in fact not built on rock and roll?

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I know this thread is about Sioux County, but many have mentioned Sioux Falls in this thread.

How is Sioux Falls? I was given a pretty good job opportunity there with significant monetary incentive for me to move there but felt pretty iffy about uprooting my life. Any input on Sioux Falls from fanatics? Literally know nothing about it.

Last edited:

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Drive through just about any small town in Sioux county and you will find some type of thriving industrial plant. The bigger town have large industries. Orange City has a Staples promotional products center, is the home of Diamond Vogel Paint and others. Sioux Center, of course has a Pella Windows plant and others. Almost all of these companies were started by local people who chose to keep their manufacturing local. There is an undeniably strong entrepreneurial spirit in that area.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfamily

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I know this thread is about Sioux County, but many have mentioned Sioux Falls in this thread.

How is Sioux Falls? I was given a pretty good job opportunity there with significant monetary incentive for me to move there but felt pretty iffy about uprooting my life. Any input from fanatics?
Went there for the ISU/Colorado game. Seemed nice. I could definitely live there.

• Informative
Reactions: HGoat

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
How is Sioux Falls? I was given a pretty good job opportunity there with significant monetary incentive for me to move there but felt pretty iffy about uprooting my life. Any input from fanatics?

Nice growing city, and no state tax.

• Informative

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Really surprised by this - i'm from the eastern side of the county and population nothing but declining there. Must be all located in the west in terms of Sioux Center/Rock Valley.

Zyklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2011
Ames
Really surprised by this - i'm from the eastern side of the county and population nothing but declining there. Must be all located in the west in terms of Sioux Center/Rock Valley.

Are you sure? The east side may be showing some age, but I thought for the most part towns were slowly growing.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Agribusiness requires a lot less manpower. People from West central Iowa wanting to stay in the region find Sioux City accommodates them with jobs and housing.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Insular Dutch Reformed society. It's growing from the inside. The Dutch reproduce and don't leave.

I haven't been to Sioux county in a long time, but being Dutch and from the Pella area myself, I think this probably helps.

Also, Sioux County has had a decent amount of immigration which is good for it. There’s job availability.

Lastly, I think having the two small colleges with a combined enrollment of approximately 3,000 in a county of 30,000 or so helps some as well.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I get your point regarding the farmland but there is no population growth in rural Iowa that is tied to farming. Large farming operations have all but made the family farm extinct. The population per square mile in Iowa is a fraction of what it used to be back in the 60's and 70's.

But there is population growth in rural areas of Sioux County because of livestock farming. Livestock is they key to the strong economy in Sioux County and the key to getting people back to the area because there are extra jobs that serve the livestock industry, not to mention the extra jobs on farms because of the livestock.

• Agree
Reactions: IsuStu and cyfamily

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Are you sure? The east side may be showing some age, but I thought for the most part towns were slowly growing.

Maybe... I don't have the numbers, just on my personal experience on the towns I grew up in.

Zyklon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2011
Ames
Maybe... I don't have the numbers, just on my personal experience on the towns I grew up in.

I looked it up. Very slow growth it looks like. But I would guess that with bigger farms, there would be less people living in the country, so town population probably isn't the whole story.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

How is Sioux Falls? I was given a pretty good job opportunity there with significant monetary incentive for me to move there but felt pretty iffy about uprooting my life. Any input on Sioux Falls from fanatics? Literally know nothing about it.

Haven't lived there but a good friend I visit 5-6 times a year does. Sioux Falls is quite nice. I like the downtown and the parks along the Big Sioux. Feels like the transportation situation could use some improvement though.

• Informative

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Imagine if Clive were a city with a population of ~160,000. That's Sioux Falls.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Insular Dutch Reformed society. It's growing from the inside. The Dutch reproduce and don't leave.

This is a HUGE part of it. Also a very strong diverse ag economy.....not just grain farmers. Sioux county has also grown because of an influx of Hispanic families. Many came for ag related jobs and more followed and started businesses. Still a Dutch stronghold, but more diverse than ever...which is wonderful!

Reactions: Doc

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015

Nice city. Revitalized downtown area with great bars and restaurants. Good entertainment options. Drawback is the growing pains....if you like road construction, Sioux Falls is the place for you.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Pella and souix county can sell being a small town ‘community’ rather just another place to live. There are also relatively near metro areas which seems to anchor them. Having local colleges helps too.

Help Support Us

Become a patron