Friday OT #2 - That's Not A Thing

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
None of this matters, guys. It's a mute point.

Better than a moo point.

because-if-he-doesnt-like-you-this-is-ara-moo-10702867.png

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I have a co-worker who uses the (non)word "supposively" all the time. And since it's sort of a grammar thread, when people use "have got", it's like fingernails on a blackboard to me. As in CMC saying "We've got to do a better job of tackling."

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I have a co-worker who uses the (non)word "supposively" all the time. And since it's sort of a grammar thread, when people use "have got", it's like fingernails on a blackboard to me. As in CMC saying "We've got to do a better job of tackling."
AOL started it. (You've got mail.)

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Words
Re-la-tor -- person who sells houses
Jew-la-ry -- the fancy, shiny stuff some people wear

I realize this is more mispronunciation than non-real words, but this is Friday.

Phrases
one in the same --> one and the same
for all intensive purposes --> for all intents and purposes
Gee people, do you even think about what you're saying?

Theoretically, as a communication person I do understand that many of these probably arise from poor diction or enunciation. Still, they grate on my ears.

I use for all intensive purposes sometimes as a malapropism, I guess? Like you m************s had better believe my purposes are intense.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Here is one I do, and it started an argument between a northeasterner and me. The way I say roof pronouncing the oo like foot instead of like tooth. Then there is also the breakfast, dinner, supper vs breakfast, lunch, dinner debate.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Wrong.

The full correct term is Soda Pop. Soda is the adjective describing the kind of pop (the noun) you're talking about. It's like red barn. Red is describing the kind of barn. You wouldn't say,
"The cows are in the red."

If 'soda' is the adjective for 'pop,' what are the other kinds of 'pop?'

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
A co-worker says Wal-Mark instead of Wal-Mart. I have no clue where that comes from.

Until fairly recently I did not know that during the French guard's taunting in Holy Grail, he was saying "k-nig-hts" instead of connigits. I always thought 'connigits' was some British slang I was unfamiliar with. I felt really dumb when I found that out.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A co-worker says Wal-Mark instead of Wal-Mart. I have no clue where that comes from.

I think I've heard Wal-Mark once or twice.

More commonly, I hear "S" attached when it isn't there. Wal-Marts, Kmarts, Meijers Krogers ... etceteras.

(Then again, when I was young, everyone called JCPenny "Penney's" and I knew no better for quite a few years).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron